Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a second hand i40, be a 2014 or later model, in the estate body. There only seems to be diesel models coming up withing 100 miles of me.

I've a few questions:
  1. I've has 2 diesel Octavias before, and my only real gripe is the time it takes for the heater to do anything. The engine doesn't get warm in the 3-4 mile journey in the morning, so clearing the windows etc is a pain.
  2. Timing belts - are these belts or chains on these cars, if belts, how often do they need changing and what's an estimate on cost for this?
  3. I note most of them say temporary spare, is it possible to swap this for a full spare?
  4. Is it possible to turn the DRLs off - controversial I know, but my car, my choice and I don't like them
  5. Any issues to look out for?
Thank in advance

Tom

·
Read Only
15 Posts
I have a 17 reg i40 SE Nan 1.7 141ps crdi and it is chain driven, it came already with a temporary spare which basically means a space saver spare wheel. I don't know what DRL's mean sorry.
My engine is particular about oil and only seems to like Shell ECT 5w30 which is what is recommended by the main dealer and it sounds very nice with it.
I love this car, it has enough power and is reassuring to drive, I like a car that does not have to show off or prove its self and the i40 ticks the boxes, perfect for my job as service technician.
I haven't found the heater a problem in winter - it seems to warm pretty quickly although the engine sounds a little rougher when starting in sub zero temps but that only lasts a minute, my last car was a Superb 2.0 L&K and it took forever to defrost and the washer jets never unfroze which made winter driving a peril. The nozzles have not frozen yet on the i40 even in zero temps so maybe due to where the water pipes are routed.
No issues I have found apart from using Hyundai filters and the recommended oil you shouldn't go far wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.

Can the space saver be replaced with a full size wheel?

DRLs (Daylight Running Lights) the lights that are on all the time until you turn your headlights on.

How quickly does heat appear from the blowers if only doing town driving so you can clear the windows?

Tom

·
Read Only
15 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

Can the space saver be replaced with a full size wheel?

DRLs (Daylight Running Lights) the lights that are on all the time until you turn your headlights on.

How quickly does heat appear from the blowers if only doing town driving so you can clear the windows?

Tom
I don't think you can switch of the DRL's. Nothing in the handbook regarding that so I assume it's a no.
I will get back to you regarding the spacesaver to full size wheel.
Heat usually starts to come through within a couple of miles or a few minutes cold idling I am finding on mine, I personally feel that it is quicker than the Superb I had before although I do wish manufacturers would put heated windscreens in as standard. I start my day early and throughput winter I don't feel that I've been held up waiting for the windscreen to clear as I usually drive off down the lane fairly soon after starting and the screen starts clearing fairly fast.

·
Registered
i40 VF 1.7 CRDi AT6 100kW
46 Posts
Yes, there is space for the normal sized spare wheel.heat comes in less than 8 minutes of driving, after idling for another 3 4 mins. Mine is prefacelift diesel automatic which is the best. No dramas with clutches whatsoever. It runs superbly. Unless you physically disconnect the wire from drl, you are not able to switch off the lights by yourself. A dealer with GDS interface will tell you if it is possible for them to do it.
Cheers.

Sent from my phone.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would also echo what has been said about the i40..I have a 17 plate Se Nav and its excellent. All the bells and whilstles you could want. The heater becomes effective very quickly from setting off and there is a fast clear feature for the front screen as well. For serious winter days you have the heated seats and steering wheel on Nav and above and I particularly like the electric drivers seat..it allows you to get in an out as easy as you would an SUV..
Great value for money car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies folks.

I went a saw a 14 plate diesel manual estate, it's the Style Blue Drive with 48k on the clock. It's in great condition, more features than I had imagined, took it for a test drive, pulled like a train. At the time I had some minor issues with changing gear, but put this down to a tight gate and a much shorter shift than I'm used to.

However, having collected to the car this weekend and driven it from Inverness to Aberdeen, the gear change issues seem more than that. I seem to have to mash the clutch into the floor and change gear really quite slowly otherwise it simply won't go into the next gear - seems to be particularly bad on 1, 4 and 5.

A bit of Googling and this seems to be a not uncommon problem from the era. What I haven't found is whether is was ever resolved, any one know?

Tom

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 17 reg i40 SE Nan 1.7 141ps crdi and it is chain driven, it came already with a temporary spare which basically means a space saver spare wheel. I don't know what DRL's mean sorry.
My engine is particular about oil and only seems to like Shell ECT 5w30 which is what is recommended by the main dealer and it sounds very nice with it.
Not surprised as Shell's group 3 oil basestock is gas derived so has less impurities + it's also VW 507.00 spec so might have group 4 and 5 with a ton of detergents and dispersants in the additive package .

There are cheaper 507.00 oils though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts