Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been using Bluetooth perfectly fine for playing music, and wanted to try out using a USB cable. I had a spare laying around and it worked perfectly fine when connecting my phone to a computer. So I took it to my car, plugged it in, and it does start charging the phone, but the screen says Connection Error. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S3 from T-Mobile, stock firmware, and have a ton of music on the internal memory, no SD card inserted. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I remember right you have to have the music on an SD car in a folder marked "music". I don't believe it will read from the internal memory.
I personally use this:
Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16 GB USB Flash Drive SDCZ33-016G-B35: Computers & Accessories
It allows me to close the flap.
Well, that would be the other issue, the SD reader in my GS3 went bad a few months ago so I resorted to using internal memory, and I was wondering if that was the case on the Sonata, being that it needed to be on the SD card. It is in the Music folder, but not on an SD card.

Thanks

·
Registered
942 Posts
You have to use a USB stick in the port, it won't work with the phone.
It also won't charge properly, the port doesn't provide sufficient current for full-rate charging. For charging the phone should be connected to a 12V charger (1A minimum output) plugged into one of the power ports.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
So, I've been using Bluetooth perfectly fine for playing music, and wanted to try out using a USB cable. I had a spare laying around and it worked perfectly fine when connecting my phone to a computer. So I took it to my car, plugged it in, and it does start charging the phone, but the screen says Connection Error. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S3 from T-Mobile, stock firmware, and have a ton of music on the internal memory, no SD card inserted. Any thoughts?
Telijah, the issue is with the SGSIII itself. Samsung changed the way these phones present themselves to computers/audio systems. I could go into detail but long story short is that, in current form, you cannot use your phone as a large thumb drive.

The solution is to root it and install a program called USB Mass Storage Emulator from the Play Store. Then you should be good to go.

Beware that rooting, while easy to do, does void your warranty/insurance through TMobile and opens your phone's file system up to any and everything. Just a disclaimer--not trying to scare you out of it.

I know this because I own a Samsung Galaxy Note II (bigger version of the GSIII) and thats how I got mine to work with my car.:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Telijah, the issue is with the SGSIII itself. Samsung changed the way these phones present themselves to computers/audio systems. I could go into detail but long story short is that, in current form, you cannot use your phone as a large thumb drive.

The solution is to root it and install a program called USB Mass Storage Emulator from the Play Store. Then you should be good to go.

Beware that rooting, while easy to do, does void your warranty/insurance through TMobile and opens your phone's file system up to any and everything. Just a disclaimer--not trying to scare you out of it.

I know this because I own a Samsung Galaxy Note II (bigger version of the GSIII) and thats how I got mine to work with my car.:)
I do remember this change now that you mentioned it. And I am very familiar with rooting, but thank you for the suggestion. The S3 was the last phone I ever rooted, but went back to stock as it was the first Android I had that I felt had everything I needed and wanted finally. I've been rooting since the G1.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If I remember right you have to have the music on an SD car in a folder marked "music". I don't believe it will read from the internal memory.
I personally use this:
Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16 GB USB Flash Drive SDCZ33-016G-B35: Computers & Accessories
It allows me to close the flap.
Off-topic, I know. But I just wanted to thank you for this suggested product. I bought the 32GB Sandisk version last week at Fry's. Works great, and the USB flap indeed closes almost all the way, hiding the stick from view. Thanks again.

·
Registered
687 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts