Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just switched from an iPhone 5 to Galaxy S4. Has anyone been able to successfully use a USB connection? When I do it the phone keeps switching between being connected via USB installer and device (on the device) and it never establishes a complete connection and only charges (hardly at all though). Bluetooth works well enough but when Im listening to the car radio and I have google maps running on the phone it doesnt interrupt the radio via bluetooth like the iphone used to....is there a setting im missing? Pardon my ignorance im brand new to android and havent had the phone 24 hours yet. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's really weird with android most things are set up for iPhone I've never tried using my s4 through usb you may be able to get it to read as a flash drive with a app though I'll try on my lunch break and get back to you

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
I have a Galaxy Note II (ATT i317 model) and I am able to use it as a flash drive. IIRC, you have to select the option for it to be a USB device on the phone screen. Also (not calling you dumb or anything) but your music has to be on the INTERNAL SD card. This is the one that is shared via the cable, not the external one.

You will get song/album/artist info and ability to change tracks via the steering wheel controls.

S4 is a bit newer than my phone so there may be another setting. But I know that I had to move a copy of my MP3s over to the internal card for them to be recognized.

Slightly off topic==anyone ever try playing Pandora via their iPod or iPhone using the cable? The system recognizes Pandora's album info and displays it on the screen. Pretty neat feature that I never knew existed until today!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't work whether I select using the phone as a media device or installer. It only charges and errors out when I plug it in

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Ok so I have been researching this and it seems like a real PITA. Samsung, in their infinite wisdom, changed how these phones present themselves to computers/car stereos/etc... Instead of being a USB mass storage device, they come up as either MTP camera or MTP music player. So, right now, there is no way to connect to our cars via the USB cable.

However....

I believe rooting the phone and putting on one of the USB Storage programs from the Play Store may solve the problem. Let me try some things on my Note II and report back here.

Until then, Bluetooth or 3.5 mm cable is all you will be able to use to get music off your S4 to the car.

BTW---do you have Nav or a standard radio?

·
Registered
134 Posts
As Adogg9626 said, the newer Android phones changed how they expose their internal storage so they can only use PTP or MTP, you can't access them as a mass storage device which is all that the Sonata supports for a USB device. Even on the older phones like the S2 where USB storage is still an option, you still have to activate that mode manually on every connect so it would be a pain to use.

So aside from using Bluetooth or the 3.5mm plug to connect, the other option would be to load your music onto a USB flash drive and just use that. I have a Sandisk flash drive I use for this that's so small you can plug it into the USB port and still close the door over it.

As far as charging, Android phones, at least, should charge from any USB port, but only at the standard USB rate. To get them into the higher-rate "AC" charging mode you need a power adapter that's compliant with the USB charging specification (which may mean not one that's designed for Apple products as they use a different setup for this).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the USB information...thats very helpful. I have the standard radio by the way. As far as the BT audio override for apps such as Google maps and my contacts downloading...any further information on those? Thanks again for all the help

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.2.2 (which should be the same Android version as a stock GSIV), and it works pretty well. ADogg and Rob are correct with regards to the USB port, though. The phone won't really communicate with the stereo at all, and the port doesn't provide enough juice to effectively charge the phone, either. I don't use the car's USB port at all with my phone.

I think I have the same USB drive as Rob (Sandisk micro), and it works pretty well, but the stereo controls for mp3 playback are barely adequate. For example, playlists don't work at all. The system works off the folder structure on the USB drive (for me it is <artist>\<album>\track.mp3), but you can't select at the <artist> level the way mine is set up. Randomize only works with <album> level or the whole USB drive.

For BlueTooth audio, I don't think there is an audio over-ride function, so if you want Maps navigation prompts, you have to be in the BT mode on the stereo. Again, pretty annoying.

Overall, I like the sound quality from the stereo, but the interface is pretty bad. I would consider replacing the head unit, but not sure I want the expense or the headache!

·
Registered
941 Posts
I use my phone for streaming over BT (TuneIn), so when I use Google nav the voice prompts will override the streaming. It works pretty well considering it's free vs. the $$ for built-in nav.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I also have the S4, and dislike that I cant plug in the USB cable and navigate my music through it. My previous phone did this easily, but the "best phone on the market" fails at this simple task. I googled this, and maybe have possibly found the answer.
"Took me a month and half of having this Galaxy S4 to figure it out but on top of the Mass Storage Emulator you also have to format the MicroSD card as FAT32 I used this tool found on this page scroll down about half way down the page guiformat.zip I did some research apparently the galaxy formats it exfat by default and most media players only recognize FAT32 partitions, phone still accepts it as well. It does require a root though, not for the format but for the emulator. Just make sure to back up the data on it before you do the format then just put it back on afterwords. On mine the it works mp3s still plays even if I am on the phone with my bluetooth."

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't even bother with the USB. I use tether via bluetooth and because the USB only puts out 500mA, that means the Note 2's battery drains slowly when I use it. Since there's no point in me using the USB, I also bought a car charger that pumps out 2A and it works well I figure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'd say just use the 1/8 jack and the charger. BT sound quality sucks. I bought a cheap hard drive for my music that I keep in the car. Occasionally I'll listen to Pandora or Spotify on BT.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd say just use the 1/8 jack and the charger. BT sound quality sucks. I bought a cheap hard drive for my music that I keep in the car. Occasionally I'll listen to Pandora or Spotify on BT.
Yeah that is my problem, BT quality is horrible compared to usb/aux. (tho most won't notice the difference)

I just 'upgraded' from iphone 4s to LG G2 and USB doesn't work anymore. As many have said it also doesn't connect just keeps trying to go into installer mode never giving it constant connection. Battery drains.

USB was an important feature to me, not having it now is majorly disappointing. I guess I can create a USB storage mount after rooting. But will all the other apps work, probably not.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I don't think playing music thru the BT sounds too bad. I downloaded about 100 songs from mp3juices web site straight to my phone and use the Playerpro app from the play store to play the music through my BT along with the DSP pak app which is an amp and 10 band equalizer. You can set it up to sound decent, definitely better than the sound from the sonata radio. Im picky about the songs i listen to that's why i download the music plus they are all free :D

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the SIII and just use Pandora over bluetooth, it works great. You are not going to get it to work properly over USB plus the USB does not put out enough amps to charge your phone if you are also using it, get an adapter from amazon.

The navigation voice will only override if you are listening to music through your phone over bluetooth also.

I have an NFC tag right in my car that all I have to do is tap it with the phone. It turns on bluetooth, starts pandora and starts navigation automatically. Tap it again and it turns everything off, makes it real easy to get up and running.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Sonata Limited full Nav not working with Samsung Note II

I have a 2012 Sonata Limited with full navigation package and my Samsung Galaxy Vibrant on the Bell network worked just fine but my Samsung Note II will not work. It basically freezes the entire navigation system including the backup camera, mapping, phone etc. My dealership is aware but they think it's the phone. Bell has specified that the Samsung Note II uses 4.0 bluetooth whereby Sonata Navigation is only using 2.0 bluetooth which is where the issue is. It is the navigation that is the problem and believe it or not they are still installing 2.0 bluetooth on all of their 2013 cars! It's not the phone because the phone works fine on all other cars. Its the navigation system for sure and either needs an upgrade or there is something wrong with the navigation system and will have to be replaced. We'll see what happens and what the dealership will do...FRUSTRATED
Perhaps they should provide a list of phones that will work on their navigation so we don't get locked into a phone/plan before we figure it does not work!
Hyundai please provide the excellent customer service you have given in the past and fix this issue!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Slightly off topic==anyone ever try playing Pandora via their iPod or iPhone using the cable? The system recognizes Pandora's album info and displays it on the screen. Pretty neat feature that I never knew existed until today!
No, but I use iTunes Radio the same way and my Sonata recognizes all of the songs and works great. Android sucks. LOL. Android phones such as Galaxy will work great when new and then all of a sudden when upgrade to the latest Android version the phone will become very sluggish. That is what I like about Apple, they control their hardware and software and iPhones are always very smooth even 3 or 4 versions of IOS later on an older model. They hold their value better than Android for a sale on eBay too! I sold my 2 year old iPhone 4 for $350 on eBay when I bought my iPhone 5.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts