Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the procedure to replace the rod bearings?
Pull the engine from the top leaving the transmission in place?
Drop the engine from under the car?
Pull the head?
I've rebuilt a few engines but never a transverse mount with trany under it.
2000 Elantra automatic.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Anyone know the procedure to replace the rod bearings?
Drop the oil pan and have at it.. same as about any other engine.

Pull the engine from the top leaving the transmission in place?
Why ?? See above

Drop the engine from under the car?
No, see first reply

Pull the head?
Nope, unless you desire to re-con the head, or ring the pistons..

I've rebuilt a few engines but never a transverse mount with trany under it.
2000 Elantra automatic.
Why do you desire to replace rod brgs ?

If you got a knock, likely the pin surface is toast, and all the trouble to put new brgs on old surface be a waste of time, wipe them out pretty quick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may be right. I'm thinking it's the crank end. Sometimes if the bearing isn't too bad you can buy some time. quiet it down. I want to get thru the winter with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I haven't been under it yet. I guess in my mind the transmission would be in the way but I guess it's really to the end like any other engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so I pulled the oil pan and Plasitgauged the rod bearings. They all measure out at about .038" This is way out of spec according to my manual but I only have one loud tick. I can't find undersize bearings to correct this and it's all a little hack-ish anyway.
I'm going to replace the engine with a used one.

Anyone know If I can get the engine out without removing the transaxle too?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
0.038" ??

That thing should not have any oil pressure and make all kinds if knocking sounds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yah, your right I was reading the mm scale. I hate how they mark the "flexigauge" 1.52 when it should be .00152

So anyway .038mm is right in spec of .024 to .044

I've already started preparing for the engine swap so I think I'll just go forward with it. No sense wasting more time or money with a top end repair still not knowing for sure what it is. Already bought the engine too.

Do you know if the engine will come away from the transaxle still in the car?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Only done out/in with later model.. strip front drive parts off (belts/pulleys) and tight fit past frame rail and bellhousing (automatic) with the XD chassis.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So changed the motor this weekend. I just went with the manual procedure which includes removing the axles and pulling the transmission with the engine. The used engine from the junk yard was $350, about 130K on it and it runs awesome! I'm guessing I can get about $50 at the scrap yard for the old engine.
The temp gauge doesn't seem to be working, might be that I haven't gotten enough coolant into it yet or I need to replace the sensor. It looks like there are 2 of them. I assume one is engine control and one for gauge. Anyone know which is which? one has just one wire and the other has a 3 pin connector.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts