Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. First time on a Hyundai forum, but my ladyfriend has an 08 accent. It's got about 140k miles and not too many issues, but some that have been very confounding.

Brakes were no problem, purge valve causing a no-start after gas fill-ups took a long while to figure out. And now, this headlight issue is just ... weird.

Her headlights are wired wrong. The initial situation was that the low beams were really dim and the high-beam indicator on the dash was dimly lit at all times.

Come to find out, the "low beams" are running through the high beam filament... and the low beam filament. In the low-beam position, there are 12v to the high beams and 5v to the low beams. In the high-beam position, there are 12v to the high beams and 0 to the low beams.

Being a volvo guy (see user name), I am not used to this "switched ground" setup, which complicates things. I'm used to shared constant ground and a relay to switch power between the high and low input pins.

So I thought the switch must be leaking a connection between the high and low circuits. I disconnected the switch and tested it, and ran a low-ohm test between the two. I didn't see any connection between the high and low pins.

So, I figured that if the high and low beams couldn't both be working, maybe someone used the wrong bulbs - nope. It has 9003 bulbs in it now, although it had some other bulbs in it that looked similar and had the same pin-out. I noticed that the headlight fixtures (one at least) look aftermarket and are labeled "EagleEye". It seems like the wiring pigtails are routed differently.

Anyway, now for the interesting part - I played with the connections the other night. If I disconnect one lead from the passenger side headlight, the low beams work as normal. The driver's side "high" beam works, but by lighting both filaments in the bulb. If I short the passenger side grounds together, the driver lamp regains normal brightness. The more I write this out, the more it seems like there is a short in the passenger side high-beam lead. But I believe that the same thing would happen if I disconnect the driver side high-beam lead.

Here's the TLDR version:
Correct bulbs
Switch seems to be good, but somehow I'm getting 5v to the low beam and 12v to the high ALL the time, leads disconnected
Fuses are good

So my thinking is that either the switch is bad ... or I have to track down a short to ground.
Is this a common issue? Should I just get a new switch? Or did someone replace a damaged headlight assembly and pinch a wire? A new switch sounds a lot better than a short.

Thanks, Hyundai folks!

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
I am not used to this "switched ground" setup, which complicates things. I'm used to shared constant ground and a relay to switch power between the high and low input pins.
I don't know why you find this circuit more complicated. It works in the exact same way as the more conventional circuit your familiar with only the current is flowing in the opposite direction.

VolvoGuy said:
In the low-beam position, there are 12v to the high beams and 5v to the low beams. In the high-beam position, there are 12v to the high beams and 0 to the low beams.
I assume your taking these measurements across the bulb with the bulb connected?

If that's the case it looks to me like there is a problem with the switch. Your measurement show that the switch isn't switching the high beam filament in the bulb on....you always have 12V on the high beam terminal regardless of the switch position.

Of course, you don't tell us where on the planet you are so we don't know at this point if the car has DRLs that could maybe complicate matters?

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
I had a headlight replaced with an Eagle Eye after hitting a deer on my '08 a couple years ago. It messed up my added fog light setup and they are really crappy headlights. Took a while before I figured out it was the headlight that was replaced. Must have some sort of internal wiring difference. Dimer, not as well focused and did not have the sharp vertical 'Fog Beam'. I ended up tossing it and getting a Hyundai OE. TYC makes some pretty good aftermarket headlights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I changed my OEMs out with two Eagle Eyes after hitting a deer and have had the problem since. I have the old ones so maybe I will hook them up and see if that is the issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts