Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've had my Accent for about 2 weeks now, and so far it's been a superb vehicle and my complaints have been minimal! I got it at a super price ($10 000 for a 2012 with 600km), but it's the absolute base model (The L trim here in Canada, with manual transmission, windows, mirrors, no AC, etc). Those bits don't bother me, and the manual transmission's been a great plus HOWEVER, I'd like to install steering wheel mounted audio controls, and I'm a little bit lost in regards to what's prewired.

I've searched all over the internet and the forums, but have yet to get a straight answer considering it's the base bare-bones model. I'd like to swap out the silver trim with something like this, am I good to go? has anybody around here done a similar job to this, and can they tell me if all steering columns are pre-wired for this? Another issue that worries me is that the audio controls I found online seem to be from overseas models, compared to the NA models which have audio on one side with the mute button and cruise on the other. Does this make a difference?

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate the help,
-Evan

·
Registered
907 Posts
Your car should be pre-wired to allow dealers to do dealer-installed options. Do you have a radio and LCD display? That is what will handle the hands-free/steering volume controls.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The overseas controls are compatible with the NA radio. I tried it on mine when I swapped the steering wheel and all the controls worked. Then I put my old controls back in.

I can't confirm whether the L is pre-wired for steering wheel controls, but I have a feeling it might be. You can open it up and check.

By the way, in order to make replacing the controls easy you're going to have to remove the wheel, which for me was a huge pain. You may need a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off. I tried everything else and mine wouldn't budge, but it came off in seconds with the puller. I got a universal one from Canadian Tire.

Oh, and don't forget to disconnect the negative battery terminal before doing anything with the steering wheel. Don't want that airbag going off. And if the T30 torx bolts holding the airbag won't budge and start stripping, use an impact driver, and switch to T40 if they're stripped really bad.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the tips so far! I didn't think I'd get this many replies so soon considering that it's 2am here.

In regards to the wheel, would you recommend just spending ~$100 more and swapping it out with a leather wrapped model? The only complaint I have with my current one is it's a little small for my taste, and it gets COLD when I leave the car outside.

And I'll be sure to pick up a steering wheel puller once the parts arrive. Thanks for all the help up to now!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yeah, I was up way too late last night.

I did the swap for the leather wheel. I think it looks much better. But unless you get the heated model and go through the pain of wiring it up (no pre-wiring), the wheel will be just as cold.

One thing to keep in mind if you swap your steering wheel: the splines on each wheel are different, so when you install a new wheel it may not be cosmetically centered (when the car is going straight the wheel will be off a few degrees to one side). To fix this you need to compensate by adjusting the toe on the front wheels without changing the total toe. Basically take it to a good shop for an alignment and make sure to tell them you changed the steering wheel and want it straightened.

I would also recommend changing the shift knob to the OEM leather & chrome one. It's probably the easiest mod I've done, and it makes a huge difference over the fugly black stock knob, bringing a classy appearance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info!

I already plan on ordering the leather shift knob from the GLS/SE, the main thing I hate about the interior is the plastic shifter, it looks great... if this were 2002. In terms of swapping out the wheel, I think I'll just stick to swapping out the controls for now. It seems easier and I don't want to deal with having to align a new wheel properly.

Other than that I'm excited to start doing some modding. I'll order the shift knob, maybe some aluminium pedal covers, the audio controls, and eventually I'd like to put some cruise control in and wire in fog lights. Thanks for everyone at the forums' help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts