Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
And no trailer hitch as an accessory? Odd, does it come with one or is everything not on there yet?
From "Star Product Information":
2013 Santa Fe Features List Dimensions_Weights_Capacities

The Sport only comes with pre wiring. The Sport 2.0T comes with the wiring and:

"Trailer Prep package — This package includes the following enhancements:
— Larger radiator core
— More powerful fan motors
— A transmission fluid cooler.

2013 Santa Fe offers impressive towing capabilities. All Santa Fe's are equipped wiring to make it easier to tow trailers (see diagrams below). In addition to the wiring enhancement, Santa Fe Sport 2.0T model is also equipped with the Trailer Prep Package. This package enables Sport 2.0T to tow up to 3,500 pounds."

Probably a good idea to confirm this with Hyundai before ordering.

I guess you need to add your own hitch and electrical connector.
John

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Wow, 2000-lb non-braked towing limit on all models including the 2.4... that flattens most of the competition.

So many CUVs nowadays are rated to tow 3500 pounds, but the owner's manual contains fine print that requires trailer brakes for anything over 1000 pounds. Pretty useless for the average (brakeless) pop-up camper. But 2,000 pounds is great. It's even better than my 3.3 Santa Fe's 1650 lb rating.. probably due to the lighter curb weight.

·
Registered
273 Posts
From "Star Product Information":
2013 Santa Fe Features List Dimensions_Weights_Capacities

The Sport only comes with pre wiring. The Sport 2.0T comes with the wiring and:

"Trailer Prep package — This package includes the following enhancements:
— Larger radiator core
— More powerful fan motors
— A transmission fluid cooler.

2013 Santa Fe offers impressive towing capabilities. All Santa Fe's are equipped wiring to make it easier to tow trailers (see diagrams below). In addition to the wiring enhancement, Santa Fe Sport 2.0T model is also equipped with the Trailer Prep Package. This package enables Sport 2.0T to tow up to 3,500 pounds."

Probably a good idea to confirm this with Hyundai before ordering.

I guess you need to add your own hitch and electrical connector.
John
Yeah, I know that but there should be a hitch in the accessories when building... like in the past.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Yeah, I know that but there should be a hitch in the accessories when building... like in the past.
I agree. It's odd they don't provide the accessories to complete the tow option.

What's also odd, is someone like me, who has no need for towing but wants the 2.0T, has to pay for the extra large radiator, fan, and transmission cooler.:(
John

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
What's also odd, is someone like me, who has no need for towing but wants the 2.0T, has to pay for the extra large radiator, fan, and transmission cooler.:(
John
But in reality, the 2.0T needs more cooling anyway than the 2.4 - no engine or transmission is 100% efficient and the difference between actual output and 100% has to be disposed of by heat loss.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Agree with Ruperts, and usually OEM vehicles today come with turbos that are both water and oil cooled. I believe this is true for Hyundai turbos. If so, the larger rad may may accommodate the cooling of the turbo (which can get very hot, especially if you have lead foot). A little tidbit I picked up elsewhere, the advantage of water vs. only oil cooled, is that you do not need to idle for 60 seconds before shutting down a car with a water cooled turbo, whereas a car with a turbo cooled by oil only, needs to be idled for 60 seconds because otherwise, oil temp will spike before it begins cooling and this will cause premature death of the turbo. My 2nd car (1990 MY) came with a Mitsubishi engine and turbo and was only oil cooled and required the 60 second idle. It can be a pain in the butt if you're in a rush, but you generally get used to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts