Hyundai Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests, I seem to have a bit of condensation inside my headlights. Is this normal?... On a car that's not even a year old? Seems to only happen on days that are raining, very humid, or when I give it a wash. Basically anytime there's contact with water.

Could I be able to fix this with the warranty, or do I need to go about it my own way?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Same here. The dealer showed me a Sonata headlight assembly. There is a vent tube on the backside. Said the Elantra is similar. These assemblies are not sealed, therefore humid air can get in. Actually it has to. Then, when the conditions are right and you get some water on the outside like from your hose, some condensate forms on the inside. I suspect it evaporates rapidly upon turning on the lights.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I also noticed this at times after washing the car. Never had any issues as it does quickly disappear.

·
Banned
998 Posts
how much condensation we are talking about?
Is it a little haze from inside or we are talking about water droplets on the reflector and/or the shield?

Little haze - that is OK. However, it should not appear frequently.

If you wash your car when it was hot, shortly after running, and the headlights were hot too, then you can pull moisture inside. That would explain condensation.

But if ANY little water creates the problem - then it is possible the headlight was not properly sealed.

Yes, the headlights are not air tight as it was found that no matter how air tight it is, water will find its way in (at some point).

Finally, if all haze is gone after you had the headlights on for one hour or more or after a hot, dry day- then you are OK.

You could take some pics to show the condensation.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The assemblies are not sealed and, as such, I don't believe it even is a problem. It is normal. Go drive and have fun!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
The op asked if this is normal and has supplied adequate information. Any pointers is optional as the best answer would be take it to the dealer, but that wasn't the question.

Just saying to the op, I seen it at times and never a problem.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Could I be able to fix this with the warranty, or do I need to go about it my own way?
So does anybody know if this "problem" is covered under warranty?

Guys, what is wrong with you?
Read it again - small condensation is OK. Warranty does not apply. Small means - a haze.
But if we deal with droplets of water or water collected on the bottom of the headlight (taillight, fog light... you name it) then it is a part to be replaced/repaired under 5y/60k miles bumper to bumper warranty.

Even Owners Manual advises you about condensation in headlights after rain or car wash...

I suspect it evaporates rapidly upon turning on the lights.
Not quite...
What happens is that headlight is hot when in use (it warms up from heat produced by the light bulb).
When you spray cold water (any water will seem cold to hot filament...) it causes rapid pressure change inside the headlight (just like hot vs cold pressure in tires). Having the drain tube the pressure is being equalized (external air is being pulled in) and if it happens to be wet, it will bring moisture to the headlight.
Now, as long as all is hot - not really much condensation can be seen, but once you let it cool off - all of sudden fog/haze will form.

Not responding is useless.
I agree.
But no one would bother to ask how much condensation we deal with here. Little fog/haze you saw or simply water droplets collecting on the bottom...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like I left out a crucial detail here. My apologies.

The condensation level is very little. Like the kind where if you were to blow on the window, it'll cause very small condensation on the window from your breath. There are no puddles of water as far as I can see.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks like I left out a crucial detail here. My apologies.

The condensation level is very little. Like the kind where if you were to blow on the window, it'll cause very small condensation on the window from your breath. There are no puddles of water as far as I can see.
Based on everything said here...plus the manual and my own experience...you got no worries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its OK is not acceptable! How does it pass quality control? How can you be sure it does not impair your vision of the road? My guess is that it is a bad lot of headlights that will be recalled. Lets all agree that it is not normal.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Its OK is not acceptable! How does it pass quality control? How can you be sure it does not impair your vision of the road? My guess is that it is a bad lot of headlights that will be recalled. Lets all agree that it is not normal.
Bumping a nearly 4-year old post is not necessary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.