Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed tonight that both my rear turn signal lamps had small pockets of condensation on the inside of the lenses. I'm not sure why because it's been dry the last two days but I'm a little annoyed because I've only ever seen this happen to European cars, Land Rovers being especially prone to it. I ran the hazard flashers for about 25 minutes and the heat from the bulbs caused the moisture to evaporate and if it comes back I'll run it through warranty. Anybody else had this happen to them or is it just my luck of the draw (again)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Dec 22 2010, 12:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382278
I noticed tonight that both my rear turn signal lamps had small pockets of condensation on the inside of the lenses. I'm not sure why because it's been dry the last two days but I'm a little annoyed because I've only ever seen this happen to European cars, Land Rovers being especially prone to it. I ran the hazard flashers for about 25 minutes and the heat from the bulbs caused the moisture to evaporate and if it comes back I'll run it through warranty. Anybody else had this happen to them or is it just my luck of the draw (again)?
Had the exact same problem,removed bulb holders to check for water leak,none found. then over a period of time realised
that changes in temperature had an effect.[ hot days / cool nights ] got rid of moisture by placing small sachet of silica granules [ the sort of little packs supplied with electrical components to combat damp / moisture ] into indicator lense via
bulb holder hole,refitted bulb and left for a couple of days.End result after removing sachets [long screw driver with blu tac on the end ] not a trace of condensation since [2 yrs ago ].

·
Registered
169 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Dec 21 2010, 11:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382278
Land Rover Discos used to be especially prone to this due to the non optional swimming pool in the trunk many suffered from. as the interior heated up the water vapour condensed in the lights. I thought the SF lights were better insulated from the trunk area, maybe that's another area that's been economised on in the 2010 model

·
Registered
988 Posts
I had the same issue with the 3rd brake light on the Limited, the replaced the unit... no issues since that I have noticed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had the same problem with both sides. I had them replaced under warranty. That was six months ago and they have started to condensate again. They do however dry up after a while. Will mention it again at my next service.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My inner lights have condensation in them (both sides) Just noticed after a hotsy power wash. Temp outside was about -6c (21f) when I was washing it water temp was about 24c (75f)

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 03 Sonata doing same thing :huh:

Sounds like a waste of time getting it replaced(sorry for my honesty) if it's going to happen again... I guess if it was recalled they would actually remedy the situation.

I might have to take a close look at mine to see what's up... apparently bad design...I'm going to have to wonder if putting a couple little air holes will help...maybe drill at bottom so moisture is not increased by seepage into the holes (gravity preventing this). Otherwise, I bet the condensation isn't hurting anything but looks funny. :whistling:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was flipping through my owner's manual a few days ago and saw a passage that said slight condensation inside the lamps is normal in wet, humid weather or after "heavy washing", whatever that is. It also stated not to be concerned unless water pools within the unit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow my first reply on the forum!

Guess what. I actually started taking my sonata to the car wash to keep the stinkin road salt off and **** the rusting process :thumbsup:. (I am grateful for road salt however) MAYBE, eureka!, that could be it! Don't mind me I get excited about little things. But here's the bad news; just changed the amber rear blinker bulb, it had white scale stuff at the contact. Doesn't that sound like a nuisance lol? Kiddin around but, oh and also noticed the fabric covering the back of the sockets in the truck has what looks like a bunch of vent holes (factory made) hmmm.

Oh well, I'm bankin on the "heavy washing". Will pray for a solution. Thanks for the post!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts