Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So far it's been just about over 6K miles on the car, and have the following problems I need expertise's help.

Accent, Sedan, GLS, AT, 2009 (Base Model + XM radio system + Bluetooth)

1) Rear passenger side brakes (drums) are squeaking.

2) Steering wheel; When it is turned all the way to one side, then slowly (and I really mean slowly) turned back, I hear some crackling sounds. It works in both directions. I'm not sure if it is the power steering somehow engaging/disengaging (although I don't see why it would do that) or something else. It definitely sounds like electrical contacts getting near each other and sparking than anything else.

3) The brake pedal. I feel it is a little too forward. There are times when I switch back from accel to brake pedals and the edge of the sole gets caught underneath the break pedal. (Not sure if I am sitting too closely or not... but other than that, i'm pretty much comfortable.)

4) Mileage. On highway, I peaked at 24MPG!!!! This one is with absolutely no hard/fast accelerations. Never went beyond speedlimits and I belive I always stayed below 3K RPM. The max speed limit I've seen was 65, so going any higher than 3K rpm is not necessary. Even though starting out from a full stop, is extremely boring and slow!!!..

5) Tires SUCK big time. I've already poked holes on two sidewalls by simply scraping the sidewalk. SERIOUSLY!!!. A third tire went flat, by simply going over a pot hole and now it won't hold air. Now avoiding these potholes like crazy!!! I'm thinking of switching over to 16" wheels and tires, and keeping a pair of the 14" KUMHOS as spare. (can this car handle bigger wheels and tires without the car bottoming out on the tires?) Any recommendations?

That's all I can think of right now. Oh one more thing.. (smelly feet in a car can last forever!!! I think i need filters changed.)

I'd really like to hear from people what their concerns are and maybe some suggestions/info on what I have here.

Thank you.
MS

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I am at nearly 12k, my rear brakes also squeak like crazy under light to normal braking. The 15k service calls for inspecting the brakes so I am going to take them apart then and see whats up. I can't imagine the pads need replacing already. Other than the noise i have no braking issues.

I have no odd noises from my power steering, but with very quick steering maneuvers it almost feels like the pump can't keep up and the steering gets stiffer for a second. I have contemplated removing the whole power steering system all together, it appears to run off its own accessory belt.

Mileage I get 30-31mpg in 80% stop and go driving. So not sure what to tell you there...

I hear your concern on the cabin air filter. I thought the whole idea was to filter the outside air. On numerous occasions, say I have the windows up and heat or a/c running, if someone next to me in traffic is smoking a cigarrette, I can smell it through my ac or heat. Its not like I can visually see smoke getting pumped in or anything but I can definately smell it. I have never had this happen on any other cars before so......somethings not right.

16" wheels you will have no issues, the oem 16" size is 205/45R16

I would say consider 15" wheels, oem size is 195/55R15. Tire selection is much better and less expensive than 16's

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
QUOTE (MShorty @ Apr 26 2010, 08:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316889
4) Mileage. On highway, I peaked at 24MPG!!!! This one is with absolutely no hard/fast accelerations. Never went beyond speedlimits and I belive I always stayed below 3K RPM. The max speed limit I've seen was 65, so going any higher than 3K rpm is not necessary. Even though starting out from a full stop, is extremely boring and slow!!!..

5) Tires SUCK big time. I've already poked holes on two sidewalls by simply scraping the sidewalk. SERIOUSLY!!!. A third tire went flat, by simply going over a pot hole and now it won't hold air. Now avoiding these potholes like crazy!!! I'm thinking of switching over to 16" wheels and tires, and keeping a pair of the 14" KUMHOS as spare. (can this car handle bigger wheels and tires without the car bottoming out on the tires?) Any recommendations?
I have the same issues with awful gas mileage, and I'm at 35,000 miles... it's been that way since day 1 for me. After 16,000 miles the MPGs started to go up, but still not to an acceptable level.

Yes, the tires are AWFUL. Do yourself a favor and buy legit ones (I have 205/55/16 Yokohama AVID TRZs... they are the best value for the money in All-Season tires, imo and that of many people on TireRack.com). The stock Kumhos are EXTREMELY prone to curb damage (bubbling, ripping, etc).. the Yokohamas can take one **** of a beating (I used the AVID TRZs on my old 1998 Prizm, and I off-roaded that car weekly... like rocks and curbs and stuff lmao... they never failed. And the tires have an extremely long tread life with AMAZING grip).

·
Registered
724 Posts
The cabin airfilter is just to capture dust etc from the inlet just below the windsheild. I get great mileage, hated the junk Hancooks and just replaced them with a all season highway tire with 130K mileage warranty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (omg grip @ Apr 26 2010, 12:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316967
I am at nearly 12k, my rear brakes also squeak like crazy under light to normal braking. The 15k service calls for inspecting the brakes so I am going to take them apart then and see whats up. I can't imagine the pads need replacing already. Other than the noise i have no braking issues.
Get them checked before the 1 year/12K. Brakes shouldn't squeak. If I recall correctly, fixing that will be covered under the warranty.

Check on the "wear items". Brake lining and brake pads are covered. I'll be scheduling a visit to the dealership this week. Last time I went it was raining, so they couldn't duplicate it.
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/warranty.aspx

QUOTE (omg grip @ Apr 26 2010, 12:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316967
16" wheels you will have no issues, the oem 16" size is 205/45R16

I would say consider 15" wheels, oem size is 195/55R15. Tire selection is much better and less expensive than 16's
Thanks, i'll look into it.

Do yourself a favor and buy legit ones (I have 205/55/16 Yokohama AVID TRZs... they are the best value for the money in All-Season tires, imo and that of many people on TireRack.com). The stock Kumhos are EXTREMELY prone to curb damage (bubbling, ripping, etc).. the Yokohamas can take one **** of a beating (I used the AVID TRZs on my old 1998 Prizm, and I off-roaded that car weekly... like rocks and curbs and stuff lmao... they never failed. And the tires have an extremely long tread life with AMAZING grip).
Cool. Thanks for info.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
QUOTE (MShorty @ Apr 26 2010, 08:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317106
Get them checked before the 1 year/12K. Brakes shouldn't squeak. If I recall correctly, fixing that will be covered under the warranty.

Check on the "wear items". Brake lining and brake pads are covered. I'll be scheduling a visit to the dealership this week. Last time I went it was raining, so they couldn't duplicate it.
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/warranty.aspx
Hmm, I am not sure it is worth the effort to try and get the car in before I hit 12k. My autocross club stickers are a dead giveaway that the car gets driven hard on the weekends and is quite possibly the easiest excuse ever for them to turn around and charge me for the time my car spends in their garage for brake work.

This of course would be the type of thing they would tell me after the car has been serviced and I would have no choice but to pay whatever they ask.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
On my 2008 the 14" Kumho 175/70s tires are great and I have run them at ~50 lbs for the last two years. The will be worn out near the end of summer with ~40k on them. Mileage is ~40 mpg. Currently have 33k on the car.

No problems at all.

I do plan on getting winter tires for the stock wheels and upgrading to a larger tire for the other three seasons.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Reading about some of the complaints here it seems to me that many are trying to get something out of the car that it is not designed to provide. I just put 3000k on my 2010 Blue and it seems fine. I would be disappointed If I had wanted a real drivers car, but this is just cheap transportation. I just hope that if I drive reasonably and do the maintenance, that my new ride will be reliable and cost effective transportation at least until I pay it off. I'm not saying don't have some fun with it, but do be realistic and don't expect the car to withstand a lot of abuse and not start making noises and such.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I am not expecting my car to be something its not. I am not expecting my wear items to outlast my driving habits. I expect to change tires and brake items much sooner than the average driver, and not under any hyundai warranty.

I think the Accent is every bit as capable as a Honda Fit/Jazz or Toyota Yaris/Vitz. While they are not incredibly popular track or autocross vehicles in the US, it is not uncommon to see them driven competitively in the rest of the world.

Its fun to outdrive people in better "sports cars" with a little econobox.

·
Registered
5 Posts
my 08 has about 41k on it now. i have always gotten about 26mpgs on average. still has been voted the cheapest vehicle to own by edmonds!

perform a brake service on your car. it will get rid of your noise. clean and lubricate where the pads sit on the caliper brackets and for drums, brake clean the dust out from inside. i have had to do that about 3 time now. plus the best part is that im still on my original pads. it prolongs the life of your brakes big time.

as far as your tires. i live in ny and switch to snows for the winters. i prolly got 20k (being generous on that est.) out of my tires. the tread wear sucks. judging from your issues the side walls are pretty thin too. your best bet would be to go to tirerack and read the reviews on the luck people are having with the tires they offer in your size and the ratings they are getting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts