Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car is a 2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid with 27,850 miles on it. Since I got the car brand new in 2015, I’ve had to have it towed to the manufacturer FOUR times because the car would refuse to start. The first three times, the dealerships said they couldn’t replicate the problem and sent me on my way, only to have the same issue occur 7-8 months down the road. The last time it happened, they “fixed” the problem citing something with the HEV battery. So far, so good and it’s been since last October that I’ve had the startup issue. My concern is this: I’ve seen horror threads of people losing control and the sonata shutting down with a “hybrid warning” and instructing them to stop driving...usually while they are already driving. This is concerning because my normal commute to work is 5 minutes in town. I have a weekend trip this weekend that is 172 miles each way and I’m concerned. Any precautions I can take?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
What was happening when the car "would not start" ?

Dash lights came on, interior lights come on. If you read through this forum.... you find very little with problems.

The plug-in cars got a fix, but of the thousands of hybrid cars out there I'm not finding problems.

I have a 2016 and go hours away with on thought of problems. Went to TN last year (2 - 5 hour trips at 75mph) Went on a 2 and a half hour trip one way on a short vacation. Just came home from a 45 mile (on way) day trip. Many of the problems were the plug-in cars. The biggest is the starting-generator belt breaking, but that should last EASY to 60K and easy to see if it's going.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry, should have been more descriptive. The dash would light up, but the electronics would not. The start up tone played, the dash lit up and the check engine, oil and ABS lights came on with no EV or Ready sign. This happened each of the four times I’ve had the issue.

It’s not a plug-in. I did read that the HSG should be good for approx 60k and that is reassuring. I just haven’t taken any long trips since the first time this issue occurred around June 2016. I bought the vehicle new in May 2015 and have put every mile except for the first 3 on it. The third incident occurred in March 2017, then again in early October and finally one last time in November of 2017.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
By "NOT STARTING",,,, We get no HEV / READY when step on brake and push button ??

Did they do complete FAULT CODE SEARCH of all onboard modules ??

Run for updates ??

I have already put a bunch of Power Relay and Electric Oil Pump on so far.. seeing inverter cooling system empty due to flunkies dumping main cooling and inverter coolant not knowing any better,, flunkies at my place pulled that stunt recently, had to run pump cycle via GDS and fill system proper

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Did you get it fix? if it fixed what did you fix?
My guess be a PRA and safe connector as a set...

Finish edit profile to reflect ride and location so we know which market you reside

·
Registered
425 Posts
With three trips or so to the dealer and no results, I would switch out the 12 volt battery for an aftermarket H6R one.
Your 12v may not be holding enough of a charge.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
With three trips or so to the dealer and no results, I would switch out the 12 volt battery for an aftermarket H6R one.
Your 12v may not be holding enough of a charge.
If all the dash lights illuminate,, and other 12v items work proper, about venture there be no concern with 12v battery..

First thing we always do with Hybrid concerns is simply plug in GDS and scan the entire car,, and look for faults in any of the Hybrid related control modules..

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've had this issue for several years. At first it drove me crazy as I nor dealer could isolate a cause.

However, I found the work-around. That is, the problem occurs as described above, I then depress the brake and push the START/STOP button, wait two seconds, then (with brake depressed) push the START/STOP button again - it starts.

This process is very much like turning the car off with the accessories on - depress brake, gear to NEUTRAL then push START/STOP. Car stops and to restart just push START/STOP.

This issue no longer bothers me as it always has started once I learned the sequence.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts