Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the highway to a city 16 miles away the other day, the MPG computer came up to 28.9 MPG. Back in town, I've managed to keep it in that range and is now about 28.7 MPG.

If I drive her easy and keep it up in that range, is that the actual MPG I should get?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I think you will have to hand calculate to see how accurate the computer is.

On mine after refill it updates quickly. So if I just do highway miles it will be between 40 to 50 mpg. But if I fill up and do the short trips in the low 20's. So it can be a little misleading. When I top off my tank after doing my weekly route it is usually saying 33 to 35 consistently. I have not hand calculated to see how far it is off.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
You have two trip odometers - A and B. I use Trip B for tank distance, resetting it to 0 for each tank. Fill the tank and reset Trip B to 0. drive the car until it needs gas. Fill the tank and print the receipt. Write the Trip B number on the receipt and reset it to 0 for the next tank. Take the mileage number and divide by the number of gallons on the receipt. Multiply by 1.035 because your odometer reads 3.5% under. The number you get is the total mpg for the tank.

Different gas stations kick the pump off at different fuel levels so you may see a wide variation from one tank to the next. The size of the variation is larger than average because you're dealing with higher mpg numbers and a fuel tank that holds very little. If you have a fuel sucking pig that gets 15mpg and your tank fills are 25 gallons, a 1/2 gallon difference in fuel volume is 2% on 15mpg, or 14.7. An Elantra getting 30mpg and only takes 9 gallons on a fill will have that 1/2 gallon differential by 6%, or 28.2.

Remember the 28.9 you saw is still just a tank average. If you started the day with a number much lower, it means actual highway mpg is much higher, as it must be in order to pull the average up that far in only 16 miles at steady speed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'm starting to figure out my Elantra.
It's my first Elantra and my second Hyundai and I love it.
It runs and drives so good!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Thanks. I'm starting to figure out my Elantra.
It's my first Elantra and my second Hyundai and I love it.
It runs and drives so good!
Do you have a woman...they beat the he11 out of a car! :shades:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I filled up my car today. I think the range meter had about 60 miles left on it but the tank only had 1 more digit left lit so I didn't want to press my luck. It took about 11.29 gallons. I added a can of Techron fuel system cleaner for GDI and PFI engines.

I got 26.75 MPG average on this tank and I'll bet I'll reach 30 MPG sooner or later, and I mean around town. That's better than the 25.5 I got last time. If I drive it easy, I get better MPGs.

I reset the Trip A meter and noticed the MPG meter reset itself, then it was at zero, then 21 MPG, and quickly went up on the way home, all the way to 40.2 MPG. I don't know what's up with that. Does that mean if under certain driving conditions that I'd get 40 MPG?

It's a heck of a nice car, I like it a lot.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
That is my understanding. Just did a road trip and was getting 50 mpg initially. By time I drove the 70 miles on Interstate and country roads it was 47 mpg. On way home it was 42. More hills going home. I would have to hand calculate to get the exact mileage. These cars are very efficient on the highway from what I can see.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Techron was the brand you suggested I use, is that right?
It is also what Hyundai recommends and sells. They put their name on a bottle of Techron and charge you more.

The bottle looks the same:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Hyundai-00232-19047-Complete-Cleaner/dp/B00AKYOH8W[/ame]

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yikes, $12.09 each plus $5.25 for shipping.

I got mine at Walmart for $5.

I'll use it in the Elantra. Thanks.
Is that is to 20 ounce size bottle?

At the dealership it is closer to $18.

I usually buy it BOGO at Advance or some parts store so it is closer to what you are paying.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I filled up my car today. I think the range meter had about 60 miles left on it but the tank only had 1 more digit left lit so I didn't want to press my luck. It took about 11.29 gallons. I added a can of Techron fuel system cleaner for GDI and PFI engines.
The tank holds a little over 13 gallons. When you get down to the one digit blinking, it's time to fill up. They do give you a couple of gallons for a buffer so you don't run the pump dry.
I got 26.75 MPG average on this tank and I'll bet I'll reach 30 MPG sooner or later, and I mean around town. That's better than the 25.5 I got last time. If I drive it easy, I get better MPGs.
I bet the average daily temperatures are going up a little, too. Wait until you get to warmer temps - the numbers will look even better.
For the Elantra, "driving easy" means accelerating at a rate that you see upshifts with the tach at 2 or just above, and then minimizing brake usage by lifting off the pedal when you see a slowdown ahead. Not only does your blood pressure decrease when you drive easy, but it pays off at the pump, too.
I reset the Trip A meter and noticed the MPG meter reset itself, then it was at zero, then 21 MPG, and quickly went up on the way home, all the way to 40.2 MPG. I don't know what's up with that. Does that mean if under certain driving conditions that I'd get 40 MPG?
There is no reason to expect less than 40 on the open road if you keep speeds in the 45-60 range, temperatures are moderate and the ground is reasonably level.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is that is to 20 ounce size bottle?

At the dealership it is closer to $18.

I usually buy it BOGO at Advance or some parts store so it is closer to what you are paying.
No, it was no bigger than 6 or 8 ounces. I added the whole bottle.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting about the blinking light on the gas gauge.

I took it on the highway for 45 miles today. It went up to about 38 MPG at times.
The range meter seems to increase when the MPG average increases.

I ran the cruise control on the way back. I set it at 65.
I don't know if I'd want to try driving 60 or under on I-26.
They tend to tailgate and get annoyed at slower cars.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
No, it was no bigger than 6 or 8 ounces. I added the whole bottle.
Probably the 12 ounce bottle. They have buy one, get one free at Auto Zone until April 2nd which puts it about $4.50 per bottle. If you find a 20 ounce bottle half price that is even better.

Make sure you get the fuel system cleaner like this for better results.

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-e...r/techron-12-oz-fuel-system-cleaner/27795_0_0

Not the fuel injector cleaner like this which is less effective.

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-e...echron-12-oz-fuel-injector-cleaner/696069_0_0

As far as range it does increase when you get more mpg which is a beautiful thing. I am still getting used to the computer display myself.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. That's the one I got, the fuel system cleaner.
I'll see if I can get some more of it at AZ and run another can of it in the next tankful.

Went driving around town and drove her as easy as I could and the MPG meter never went under 34 MPG. I have a feeling I might get mid 30s MPG around town just by driving it easy.

I have some Marvel Mystery Oil left.
I used to add it to my gas in my Sentra, years ago.
Should I add some to the Elantra?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I have some Marvel Mystery Oil left. I used to add it to my gas in my Sentra, years ago. Should I add some to the Elantra?
I knew one person that added Marvel Mystery Oil to their gas. They had a 95 Saturn SL2. They averaged over 40 mpg and drove that car 650k. They did replace the fuel pump several times. I am not saying the MMO was the cause of the fuel pump failure, but I don't know that it helped?

What would you try to achieve adding it?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I knew one person that added Marvel Mystery Oil to their gas. They had a 95 Saturn SL2. They averaged over 40 mpg and drove that car 650k. They did replace the fuel pump several times. I am not saying the MMO was the cause of the fuel pump failure, but I don't know that it helped?

What would you try to achieve adding it?
I don't know. Cleaner injectors or something.

Wow, 650k is the most miles I think I've heard of a car engine going.
I bought a new Honda teal Civic Dx coupe in 1994 and put 253k on it in 6 years. At 193k, the fuel pump died. I don't think they were made to last much more than 200k miles on may cars.

I might as well put 2 oz of MM in the car but when I run out of it, I don't plan to get any more of it. They also run MM in the oil.

I also have some StaBil that I don't know what to do with bc I now have an electric lawn mower.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Trip

I drove down into Greene County yesterday. On 11E, driving at 60 MPH or so, the MPG meter didn't seem to want to go much above 31 MPG or so, where it had been around town, so I reset it and then it soared all the way to about 64 MPG. I was jumping in joy, saying "oh boy, oh boy, I'm getting 64 MPG, WOO HOO!!!". LOL!! (Just kidding).

At the same speeds and roads, it eventually came down to about 46 MPG and seemed to hang right around there until I got back to town and I don't know but I have a feeling I was really getting about 46 MPG on Rt 11E doing about 60 MPH.

Do you think I was?

Why didn't the MPG meter want to rise above 31 MPG until after I reset it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts