Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any problems with their compressor clutch pulley being noisey? I have a 2014 SFS. I'm having a hard time believing that a car that has 85k miles can have noise from this, seems premature. I'm use to experiencing problems with vehicles 150k + mileage. I have taken very good care of this car since buying it new, No problem with my A/C and A/C doesn't even need to be on to hear noise and noise goes away once the engine warms up.Any thought. I'm taking it somewhere else for a second opinion.

·
Registered
882 Posts
there are several pulleys, if you hear something like white noise, and the noise changes when you turn the AC on that's the AC pulley

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Not used to mechanical failures before 150K? You have either been a very fortunate vehicle owner or you research your purchases very well and make good decisions when purchasing. They are mechanical. They break. Just a question of when.....If that is the first real issue at 85K then you have had a very reliable vehicle.....

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,253 Posts
Have you checked bolt torque on the compressor? Drive belt fairly new? These are a bit easier and cheaper prior to swapping any parts that may not solve the issue.

These ac compressors are variable valve type and do not have a clutch. ECU controls how much compression is done using a solenoid valve.

Any noise hear during operation is coming from the pulley bearing. The entire pulley should be replaced as a unit...seems to run about 65 bucks online. Would also do a new serpentine belt unless it has already been done

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
read my post above yours about alternator noise... mine sounded like a hydraulic pump whine like I used to get on my old chevy's when the power steering fluid needed changed.. but it was the alternator bearing, replaced alt and quiet again. Took belt off and could feel that pulley wasn't smooth as the others when spun, could barely hear a mechanical growl when spun by hand. HTH

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,253 Posts
Just noticed my new compressor is making noise when engaged. Engine seems to roar when taking off from a dead stop and the ac is on.

Luckily the shop gave me a 3 year warranty on the parts and labor so gonna run her in for a check. Since we are finally seeing summer temps want to be proactive if the system is on the verge of dying again.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts