Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I got the USB working i am transferring all my cds to mp3 and have to pick a compression ratio. What ratio do you use to make the music sound good but not take up too much room?

·
Registered
578 Posts
128 kbps if you're not picky..... with 256 kbps being a nice trade off (most wouldn't be able to tell the difference especially in the less than perfect automobile environment). IMHO

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'd suggest converting the Same Song in 2-3 different speeds and Then Decide IF you hear a difference.

On certain songs I hear a tighter, more desirable presentation with 192 vs. 160 (not a big spread) but other songs are just fine at 160 (mostly Jazz & Soft Rock).
I've just decided to use 192 in the future and press on.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I've read elsewhere that Hyundai recommends sticking to 192 kbps max. Personally I use 224/320 and haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Storage space is not an issuee any more as GB are less than a $1 now days. So, if you are going to do it do it right the first time and go 256. My ears in my car certainly hear a difference between 128 and 256. You can go to 320 but now you may be hard pressed to hear a difference.

Make one of each of a same song and try it out.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i miss my usb...

i've been forced to use the old I-trip FM modulator!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have a mix of compression on mine. I have found that 128 is a little low on some albums (especially r&b type stuff), but that it is fine for most.

Also note that the album itself may make a difference. I have one album which has no headroom on the tracks, and just about any mp3 setting will cause it to distort. If I want it right, I am going to have to rip to .WAV and then edit the file before converting back to mp3. Takes a lot of time, so I haven't done that!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I never go below 192, but prefer 320 simply because the overall size still saves so much space vs lossless, and storage is so cheap.

·
Registered
548 Posts
192 is best for in between, I mean if you have a big size usb stick then forget it and just go 256... it's no problem now since 16gb and up seems to be the norm, back when you could only get 1-2gb sticks or CDR's only then yeah, I would worry about compression, not so much now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts