Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Rogue is completely redesigned and will now be bigger than the 2014 Honda CRV and Rav4. With the new size it could be an option for those looking at the SFS .
It has great lines, unique cargo area configurations and is a pretty sharp looking ride! Standard equipment is also very appealing.
This new vehicle is getting rave reviews from the analysts and the price and fuel economy are going to be very attractive features. In the showrooms in December so I guess we will have to wait and see.
This field is getting very competitive and that is great for the consumer.B)

All-New 2014 Nissan Rogue Crossover | Nissan USA

·
Registered
105 Posts
The new Rogue is probably going to have the best technology of any non-luxury SUV. Around View monitor, front collision warning, full-LED headlights, etc. Very impressive feature list.

However, I don't care for the design too much. The rear end looks just like the last-gen Lexus RX.

Also, I've read a few reviews of it and every reviewer has mentioned the underpowered CVT engine. I ruled it out because of the engine.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Make mine a Jeep Cherokee . Better fuel economy, V6 is a better engine, more ground clearance and off road capabilities. My wife likes the SFS and happily it's her daily driver and not mine. What else can I tell ya ? Oh the exterior looks - I could give a rats *ss.

And the analysts like it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Make mine a Jeep Cherokee . Better fuel economy, V6 is a better engine, more ground clearance and off road capabilities. My wife likes the SFS and happily it's her daily driver and not mine. What else can I tell ya ? Oh the exterior looks - I could give a rats *ss.

+1 on the Cherokee!
Popped by yesterday as I saw my first one in real life on the lot... the model sitting there was a limited - $39K CAN for what I saw... a little smaller then a SFS - more like a Escape or Rouge Size...

We have to keep in mind - the direct "class" competitor for the SFS if the Murano - not the Rouge, that would be the Tucson.

Anyway... I really loved my Jeep Gr. Cherokee that I traded on my SFS - now seeing the Cherokee re-released, i'm happy with it.. love the front end/headlight configuation.

There was a point made about the ground clearance too... funny enough, this is one thing I think I might miss a little too during winter months, as we can get some pretty decent sized snow banks from plows that clear the snow... and if you need to drive through one... the Jeep never had an issue, and i'm hoping I don't rip the front end off my SFS.

Anyway, overall - I'm a looks guy. I need to drive something I think looks sporty/sharp - and the rouge looks like a copy of a escape to me. And the size of that rear cargo area... a little small no?

·
Registered
253 Posts
What competition?

170 hp @ 6,000 rpm 175 lb-ft @ 4,400 rpm

vs.

264 hp @ 6,000 269 lb-ft @ 1,750 rpm

oh wait.....! the price, maybe :D

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
What competition?

170 hp @ 6,000 rpm 175 lb-ft @ 4,400 rpm

vs.

264 hp @ 6,000 269 lb-ft @ 1,750 rpm

oh wait.....! the price, maybe :D
yeah but I'm betting that Rogue might top out at maybe 106 mph, kind of extrapolating this because folks claim they get to 115 mph in a CR-V And was it you that posted the SFS speed at 120 mph max ?

Wonder what those all those additional ponies in the SFS are doing at 120 mph - taking a snooze to conserve energy :)

·
Registered
16 Posts

I STRONGLY considered the 2014 Jeep Gran Cherokee... but do youself a favor read ANY review and then scroll down to the comments section of recent owners... "JUNK" and "3rd time back to dealer" and "ntire car shut down and dash lit up like an Xmas tree" not just a FEW but EVERY owneer it seems, its scary I thought it was a joke until I saw it on every review like Automobile.com or Edmunds.com. Sad because its so nice outside and in, but mechanically its terrible :(

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I STRONGLY considered the 2014 Jeep Gran Cherokee... but do youself a favor read ANY review and then scroll down to the comments section of recent owners... "JUNK" and "3rd time back to dealer" and "ntire car shut down and dash lit up like an Xmas tree" not just a FEW but EVERY owneer it seems, its scary I thought it was a joke until I saw it on every review like Automobile.com or Edmunds.com. Sad because its so nice outside and in, but mechanically its terrible :(
This vehicle will go through the same growing pains as the 2013 SFS. That is why I stay away from 1st year testing.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Design of Rogue does nothing for me. Back looks like Mits, profile is very similar to many other SUVs in its class (CRV, RDX etc), and unless the CVT is improved, that is simply not my cup of tea. Hated driving any vehicle I have tested with a CVT transmission. Gotta admit, even though I have the LWB, the styling of the SFS sport stands out on it...which is something I appreciate in a vehicle.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The Rogue is still a "compact" CUV. It fits the bill perfectly to do battle with the Tucson/Sportage, Escape, RAV, etc. Don't forget, not all that many years ago the RAV was the biggest compact CUV in it's class. In terms of what would compete with the Santa Fe/Sport (depending on where you live), it really only comes down to the Cherokee, Xterra and Equinox/Terrain. On the high end you could say a base model X3, Q5 or Toureg, but those get gastly expensive when optioned out and price themselves out of the SF range. I understand why the Santa Fe/XL (again depending on where you live the SWB is SFS and LWB is simply Santa Fe) has the V6, as it's the family toating boat hauling, grocery grabber; but I think I'd rather a V6 option in the SWB truck with a good handling package to put that "Sport" name to use. Though I haven't driven the 2.0T, so that could fill my POOOOOWWWWAAAAAA! need...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Canuck
"In terms of what would compete with the Santa Fe/Sport (depending on where you live), it really only comes down to the Cherokee, Xterra and Equinox/Terrain"
Being from the snowy north, why would you exclude the Subaru Forester? Or even their Outback?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Canuck
"In terms of what would compete with the Santa Fe/Sport (depending on where you live), it really only comes down to the Cherokee, Xterra and Equinox/Terrain"
Being from the snowy north, why would you exclude the Subaru Forester? Or even their Outback?
I excluded the Outback, because much like the XC70, Audi Allroad or even the Impreza XV, is because they are not true CUVs. They are lifted wagons with some rugged body cladding. As far as the Forester, it sits in the "compact CUV" space that the Tucson et al. occupies. Subaru's only competition would be the now cancelled Tribeca, in terms of a mid size CUV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I excluded the Outback, because much like the XC70, Audi Allroad or even the Impreza XV, is because they are not true CUVs. They are lifted wagons with some rugged body cladding. As far as the Forester, it sits in the "compact CUV" space that the Tucson et al. occupies. Subaru's only competition would be the now cancelled Tribeca, in terms of a mid size CUV.
Wife drives an '08 Forester (I am not real impressed with) and we are looking for a replacement.
The SFS is on the top of the list, but still looking at all the competition. Looked at the all new 2014 Forester and it felt very similiar to me. The Crosstek seemed closer to the Tucson. Anyway, the Forester just doesnt seem as refined as the SFS.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wife drives an '08 Forester (I am not real impressed with) and we are looking for a replacement.
The SFS is on the top of the list, but still looking at all the competition. Looked at the all new 2014 Forester and it felt very similiar to me. The Crosstek seemed closer to the Tucson. Anyway, the Forester just doesnt seem as refined as the SFS.
Don't forget Subaru is a niche player. The Outback, XV and Forester are for "rugged, outdoorsy" people that camp, kayak, mountain bike. Quality and fit/finish will cater to that crowd. The SFS is very much a mainstream, haul the kids to school and soccer practice, and go grocery shopping kind of vehicle. Many will never see dirt, and if they do it's a grass parking lot for a fall fair. The Subarus usually see offroad situations, so it's natural that the Hyundai will feel better put together and higher quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't forget Subaru is a niche player. The Outback, XV and Forester are for "rugged, outdoorsy" people that camp, kayak, mountain bike. Quality and fit/finish will cater to that crowd. The SFS is very much a mainstream, haul the kids to school and soccer practice, and go grocery shopping kind of vehicle. Many will never see dirt, and if they do it's a grass parking lot for a fall fair. The Subarus usually see offroad situations, so it's natural that the Hyundai will feel better put together and higher quality.
Thats why I found it strange the 14 Forester has the power liftgate and the SFS doesnt.
I realize the SFS already is loaded with newer trends and price would just get pushed higher, but the power liftgate is a strong trend right now on new models
On the other hand, it took the Outback 3 years to get rear seat a/c vents (2010 was first model year of current gen) and memory seats are only available in a $2500 package on top of the limited!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Canuck
Xterra - better own an oil well or refinery those things are terrible on gas , but they do have strong off road capabilities - high clearance, body on frame construction, etc.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thats why I found it strange the 14 Forester has the power liftgate and the SFS doesnt.
I realize the SFS already is loaded with newer trends and price would just get pushed higher, but the power liftgate is a strong trend right now on new models
On the other hand, it took the Outback 3 years to get rear seat a/c vents (2010 was first model year of current gen) and memory seats are only available in a $2500 package on top of the limited!
I do believe the Premium SFS has power liftgate, at least I recall seeing it on the feature list. But yes sometimes it does take a little while for tech to get on certain models.

Xterra - better own an oil well or refinery those things are terrible on gas , but they do have strong off road capabilities - high clearance, body on frame construction, etc.
Oh I know how much they drink fuel. But it's still a competitor and beats the SFS off road.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Well thru September in the US market the Outback has sold 90k units and the Forester 84k units, ranking 40 and 41st . I'd say it's more than a niche player with fairly broad appeal.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts