Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed and/or used either of these units? What did you like or not like about either? I am considering one for the GT, but not sure which is better.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Lots of discussion here in the past about these units. Based on reviews they both seem to be good products. I suggest contacting the vendors.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yes am too quite happy with my Compass Nav.

·
22,793 Posts
Don't have nav in Ingrid. So my comment is merely unbiased and based upon being a Forum observer with regard to this post of both product lines.

Both are highly respected and well-managed vendors. Both are sponsors of the Forum and, IMO, valued as such. Guys like that enable the Forum to provide this service to us members for free. If there was anything negative ever spoken/written about them, their customer service, or their product faults, I would have remembered it. I'd like to think I would, LOL.

Best advice I can offer from the sidelines is to contact both, learn the subtle differences between the two and, therefore, make a well-informed decision on which one meets your particular needs. Both Compass-Nav and Unavi stand firmly behind their product lines and offer you their support. In this day and age of customer service (or more commonly lack, thereof), that's a BIG plus in my book! Anyone can sell anything, given the right circumstances. It's what's after the sale you need to consider, too.

Let the research begin. Good luck and happy reviewing! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Don't have nav in Ingrid. So my comment is merely unbiased and based upon being a Forum observer with regard to this post of both product lines.

Both are highly respected and well-managed vendors. Both are sponsors of the Forum and, IMO, valued as such. Guys like that enable the Forum to provide this service to us members for free. If there was anything negative ever spoken/written about them, their customer service, or their product faults, I would have remembered it. I'd like to think I would, LOL.

Best advice I can offer from the sidelines is to contact both, learn the subtle differences between the two and, therefore, make a well-informed decision on which one meets your particular needs. Both Compass-Nav and Unavi stand firmly behind their product lines and offer you their support. In this day and age of customer service (or more commonly lack, thereof), that's a BIG plus in my book! Anyone can sell anything, given the right circumstances. It's what's after the sale you need to consider, too.

Let the research begin. Good luck and happy reviewing! :thumbsup:
+1 on those sentiments

·
Registered
46 Posts
As for myself I went with Compass-Nav mostly due to cost but I can honestly say I'm happy I went that route. Installation was a breeze and Charles was there for every step of the way.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I went with Compass-Nav also, mainly because of the cost. It does everything Charles claimed via email and his webpage.

Both units seem to be quite a bit alike but there must be some subtle differences as previously mentioned. However, I am not aware of what they are.

Either company will stand behind their product.

Brad

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool! Thanx to everyone for their replies. For those that went either route, what did you do for the back up camera?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I bought the cam from Charles for the Compass Nav. I did not buy the accessory that makes the lines move when backing up. I thought that was a bit pricey for something I could easily live without.

But to tell the truth, I thought having a backup cam was kind of excessive.... Not any more! I'll never have a car without one now. Quite useful!

·
Registered
808 Posts
I bought the cam from Charles for the Compass Nav. I did not buy the accessory that makes the lines move when backing up. I thought that was a bit pricey for something I could easily live without.

But to tell the truth, I thought having a backup cam was kind of excessive.... Not any more! I'll never have a car without one now. Quite useful!
Didn't realize there was an 'accessory" needed to make the lines move! can that be purchased from Compass nav? and how much?

thanks

·
22,793 Posts
Dang it, I didn't need to read this!!!!! Where's my wish list?

·
Registered
808 Posts

I would love to fit the compass nav and back up camera.........but I have nightmares about scratching my dash removing the original radio:eek:

·
22,793 Posts
I would love to fit the compass nav and back up camera.........but I have nightmares about scratching my dash removing the original radio:eek:
If you're spending big bucks on a mod like this, turn loose of about $8-10 more and buy some auto trim tools. Available at most auto stores, Harbor Freight, etc. Allow you to remove those plastic trim panels, lens covers, trim pieces, etc. without marring the finish.

Found mine on sale (5 piece set) for around $5.?? plus tax. Used them on 4 vehicles, so far, to remove the lens covers for LED upgrades. Not one scratch. The guy that came up with that idea deserves a medal!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Didn't realize there was an 'accessory" needed to make the lines move! can that be purchased from Compass nav? and how much?

thanks
Yeah, it was some module that you needed to buy that senses sterring wheel position to make the lines on the screen move. I forget what it cost (someone help?), I think like $80????

I am happy with stationary lines......

·
Registered
808 Posts
If you're spending big bucks on a mod like this, turn loose of about $8-10 more and buy some auto trim tools. Available at most auto stores, Harbor Freight, etc. Allow you to remove those plastic trim panels, lens covers, trim pieces, etc. without marring the finish.

Found mine on sale (5 piece set) for around $5.?? plus tax. Used them on 4 vehicles, so far, to remove the lens covers for LED upgrades. Not one scratch. The guy that came up with that idea deserves a medal!
Rich, i have thesetrim tools and like you i used them on my lens covers they are great! Saying that removing the dash panels is a whole lot more nerve racking than removing a lens cover........even with the correct tools

·
Registered
952 Posts
Compass Nav

Backup camera - $80
Parking assist - $80
Traffic avoidance - $60 (requires lifetime subscription and sold seperatly by naviextras.com)
IR and remote Control $35.

Side note Parking assist plugs into your obdII port. You need to remove the fuse panel cover to access it and to leave connected. I keep forgetting to ask Charles about this as you cant put the cover back on, rather annoying.

Could by replacement and trim part that hits and keep original intact.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Dear All,

By no mean I want to interfere into this debate however if any questions, feel free to ask. I'm always there to help to clarify things regarding our product.

But very quickly:

1- The Tucson is one of the easiest to remove the trims and plastics however applying masking or electrical tape on the dash surface, even if using plastic tools, will avoid dash surface damage.

2- To use the Parking assist sensor, the OBD II interface needs to be relocated for the Elantra and Santa Fe. Tucson and Sonata don't need to be relocated.

3- Parking assist work together with the backup camera but not required to improve your backup driving skills :)

4- Nick, our manual was refreshed to cover more accurately the parking assist installation and feel free to request the updated manual!

5- PM me if anything I can do!

Thanks to all for your outstanding and continuous support!

Have a great day.

Charles

1 - 20 of 25 Posts