Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well on Monday I will take delivery of a 2010 Santa Fe Ltd - Venetian Red. I traded a 2006 Murano SL AWD which I have owned since new in 2006. The Murano has 60,000 miles on it and I have experienced no major problems with the vehicle. There are now some minor issues developing that need attention however nothing major. The dealer was great although I found their service costs on the high side. I will as time goes on do a comparison on the two vehicles to indicate what I like and what I do not like about the SF compared to the Murano.

In the latest Consumer Reports Car Guide the two SUV's are rated at the top of their segment with the SF showing a better reliability record and a better safety record. We looked at a new Murano but the cost has escalated here in Canada to a base price of $40,000. With that kind of price bluetooth is not standard go figure? Also I could not work out a deal with the local Nissan dealer to fit my budget concerns. On the other hand the Hyundai dealer was more than willing to deal and with the great cash incentives the SF was a much better deal all around especially in the warranty end of the support. Also we road tested every new vehicle in this segment and found the SF to be much better in ride qualities, comfort, cargo capacity, engine and road noise and overall performance. We were looking at the new Sorrento but it fell short in our eyes to the SF in the above categories especially road noise and comfort.

We have been considering the SF for some time now since the new generation appeared in 2006 and we finally made the move. Will keep you posted as time goes on to just how I feel about the purchase in regards to quality,service and overall satisfaction.

Looking forward to the new ride.

Thanks for all of your replies to my posts and this is a great forum which is very well maintained and very informative. Glad to be a new SF owner and a member. :liebe011:

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Good grins in that comparison, as it happens. The Murano was and continues to be my classic point of comparison to the SF in one area in particular - the undercarriage.

When I was out looking for my first "high profile" vehicle, I looked at all of them... and by looked, that included looking at them while I was on the road following them. What struck me about the Murano was the dopey design of the exhaust wrapped around the rear axle on both sides. Here I was about to pay (in gas mileage, if nothing else) the price for sitting up quite a ways off the road in order to get some ground clearance. Take the Murano off a paved road and the first item at risk was the silly exhaust system. I was picturing those pipes under the axle and wondering how long it would take me to scrape them off :p

Lots of people buy an SUV for a lot of different reasons, but if you're going to pay for AWD and the aerodynamic losses of a high profile vehicle, you should at least get decent ground clearance as part of the deal. The Murano really didn't have it. I guess if a person is buying one of these as a boulevard cruiser (why?), it's a different story, but there are far more economical approaches than either the SF or the Murano if you'll never get them off the pavement.

·
1,914 Posts
I've always liked the new Murano, my favorite years being 06-08 when they added the new wheels, leds, and chrome trim. I heard earlier muranos had some problems but they seem to be pretty solid. I have driven some earlier ones as well and for some reason the engines sound weird, almost like a diesel.

The new ones are nice but they get very expensive quickly. I can definitely see why people choose the Santa Fe over it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I too had a Murano, a 2004 SL AWD with both packages. It is no comparison, the Murano had a few more bells and whistles, but the Santa Fe actually works. The Murano suffered from Nissanitis, electrical problems up the gazou. Power Windows that didn't always work. Power Locks that didn't always work. Electric Throttle that just burnt out, leaving the engine to just idle. A CVT tranny that they should have been left for mopeds. A trunk that could hardly hold anything. I can go on and on. I honestly hated the Murano, would never get another Nissan and I was a life long Nissan person, my cousin is the GM at one of the largest Nissan dealers in our area.

·
1,914 Posts
QUOTE (Perry Manessis @ Jun 6 2010, 10:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330276
but the Santa Fe actually works.
That made me laugh :grin: . Nissan are very spotty in reliability. For instance, the Maxima is so-so, same with the quest, and the Armada is a nightmare. The Sentra and Altima are extremely reliable. You would think they could figure it out. The one thing I like about nissans are the fact that the 3.5's are very torquey

·
Registered
689 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ Jun 6 2010, 02:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330339
That made me laugh :grin: . Nissan are very spotty in reliability. For instance, the Maxima is so-so, same with the quest, and the Armada is a nightmare. The Sentra and Altima are extremely reliable. You would think they could figure it out. The one thing I like about nissans are the fact that the 3.5's are very torquey
The Nissan VQ motor is great, as long as you use premium fuel, once you put regular, you loose about 5% so the 245HP actually became 232. That plus the fact I removed the resonator from the intake on the Santa Fe and I noticed the Lambda motor a lot more powerful in low to mid range. Not to mention the Lambda smoother. Also, the Santa Fe Ltd, out handles and out brakes the Murano. The Murano had too much body roll. The Murano also understeered heavily. The Murano's entire undercarriage screams minivan, not to mention the exhaust was of poor quality and was snaked incorrectly for a SUV. But then Toyota did the same mistake with the Highlander's exhaust.

·
1,914 Posts
The Murano should have had the FX's exhaust.

·
Registered
689 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ Jun 6 2010, 06:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330418
The Murano should have had the FX's exhaust.
It wouldn't work, the Murano is based on the front drive Altima/Maxima chassis and the FX is based on rear drive G35/350Z chassis.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The Murano's only advantage over the SF IMO is better body control over bumps... definitely a more sophisticated suspension setup. But in virtually every other way - build quality, reliability, NVH, throttle response, warranty, value for dollar, etc. - it's all Hyundai. (Canderson, you left out undercoating. All newer Nissans, including the Murano, are delivered to the customer with all sorts of exposed metal facing the road. The SF is very well-sealed by comparison.)

I've owned several Nissans, in fact I used to sell them for a living. They were great cars in the 1990s, but since Carlos Ghosn "rescued" the company there has a been a serious decline in quality. Even the much-hyped VQ engines have lost their shine, with oil burning problems, rougher operation, and little if any performance advantage over similar powertrains by Hyundai, Toyota, etc. And then there's the infamous CV transmission, with it's droning performance and $6,000 meltdowns. No thanks.

·
Registered
689 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Jun 7 2010, 06:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330512
The Murano's only advantage over the SF IMO is better body control over bumps... definitely a more sophisticated suspension setup. But in virtually every other way - build quality, reliability, NVH, throttle response, warranty, value for dollar, etc. - it's all Hyundai. (Canderson, you left out undercoating. All newer Nissans, including the Murano, are delivered to the customer with all sorts of exposed metal facing the road. The SF is very well-sealed by comparison.)

I've owned several Nissans, in fact I used to sell them for a living. They were great cars in the 1990s, but since Carlos Ghosn "rescued" the company there has a been a serious decline in quality. Even the much-hyped VQ engines have lost their shine, with oil burning problems, rougher operation, and little if any performance advantage over similar powertrains by Hyundai, Toyota, etc. And then there's the infamous CV transmission, with it's droning performance and $6,000 meltdowns. No thanks.
Don, you are 100% spot on. And don't forget about the VQ's valve lifter problems. I too sold cars briefly, thought I'd try it. I worked for the Hyundai half of a Hyundai/Nissan dealership. We out sold them 2 to 1 but guess who had more cars in the service dept., Nissan.

BTW, that CVT tranny is best left to mopeds. The way a CVT tranny works with a belt riding on a clutch and 2 pulleys that are split and widen and get narrower based on torque, putting a lot of stress on the sides of a belt. Moped belts are lucky if they last 5-10K miles and they are Kevlar. We moped riders always carry an extra belt, in case it breaks and usually they break on the road, at least they are easy to replace. I know the belt in the Nissan CVT is braided steel, and the clutch and pulleys are lubed with the CVT fluid, but how long do you think it would last in constant stop and go driving. And, why is the Nissan CVT a sealed unit that can't be opened and repaired. Or is it that Nissan programmed a failure into it. Oh, and why did the NHTSA force Nissan into extending the warranty on the CVT unit to 10 years/100K miles. Seems to me everyone knows something, but hey since it's Nissan it's got to be good, right. We have a lot of blind consumers, but the funny thing is they only remember the Hyundai Excel as a bad car, not the early Civic's of the 70's and the Corollas of the 60's and the Colt/Mirage of the early 80's, oh, yeah that was what the Excel was based on.

·
Registered
689 Posts
QUOTE (Perry Manessis @ Jun 7 2010, 09:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330544
Don, you are 100% spot on. And don't forget about the VQ's valve lifter problems. I too sold cars briefly, thought I'd try it. I worked for the Hyundai half of a Hyundai/Nissan dealership. We out sold them 2 to 1 but guess who had more cars in the service dept., Nissan.

BTW, that CVT tranny is best left to mopeds. The way a CVT tranny works with a belt riding on a clutch and 2 pulleys that are split and widen and get narrower based on torque, putting a lot of stress on the sides of a belt. Moped belts are lucky if they last 5-10K miles and they are Kevlar. We moped riders always carry an extra belt, in case it breaks and usually they break on the road, at least they are easy to replace. I know the belt in the Nissan CVT is braided steel, and the clutch and pulleys are lubed with the CVT fluid, but how long do you think it would last in constant stop and go driving. And, why is the Nissan CVT a sealed unit that can't be opened and repaired. Or is it that Nissan programmed a failure into it. Oh, and why did the NHTSA force Nissan into extending the warranty on the CVT unit to 10 years/120K miles. Seems to me everyone knows something, but hey since it's Nissan it's got to be good, right. We have a lot of blind consumers, but the funny thing is they only remember the Hyundai Excel as a bad car, not the early Civic's of the 70's and the Corollas of the 60's and the Colt/Mirage of the early 80's, oh, yeah that was what the Excel was based on.
Sorry, all I wanted to do was correct the Nissan CVT tranny warranty to 10 Years/120K miles.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My son has a Murano. Twice as old and more than twice as many miles as my Santa Fe, but half as many problems to date as mine.

BTW, the problems on both vehicles were relatively minor. Never the less, annoying.

·
Registered
689 Posts
QUOTE (trucker @ Jun 7 2010, 10:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330559
My son has a Murano. Twice as old and more than twice as many miles as my Santa Fe, but half as many problems to date as mine.

BTW, the problems on both vehicles were relatively minor. Never the less, annoying.
Funny how I've have the Santa Fe for the same amount of mileage as the old Murano and I've never had to take the Santa Fe back to the dealer for anything. But, in the same amount of time, the Murano was at the dealers for a number of issues, mostly electrical. The worst one was stepping on the gas and it would just idle, that's when the electronic throttle just burnt out. But the thing that bugged me the most was the way the CVT worked. You would step on the gas, the engine would rev. but there was a delayed reaction. You would go up a hill and need to floor it to get it into any kind of low gear, which it really doesn't have. The Murano is basically a tall wagon or a Mini Van without the third row. I was so happy to walk away from that Murano lease, I was tap dancing. Thank god no more leasing and no more Nissans, ever. I told my cousin this back in 2007, he told me I wasn't the first customer to jump ship, but I was the first of our family. Last year his Nissan dealership got Hyundai too. I guess he was tired of seeing so many ex-customers. I actually jumped ship back in 2005, when I sold my Altima and got the 2006 Sonata. I knew then I was never going back to Nissan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts