Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed when test driving my 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe and doing a "walk-around" that there are patches (color coded) on the very bottom corners of the back doors with a smaller patch on the bottom of the wheel well. The salesman simply stated that they were some type of protection and should NOT be peeled off! I am so tempted to peel these patches off thinking possibly they should have been taken off during make ready/detailing for delivery. Could they be some type of protection for transporting the vehicles? What protection could they possibly serve-it's colored tape! Anyone noticed on their Santa Fe's? If you haven't then mine are coming off. Thanks for any info you can provide. Tedrik

·
Registered
116 Posts
They are there to protect the paint in higher risk for wear areas. Road splatter, sand etc would tend to cause damage to the paint in those areas, so the manufacturers put that stuff there, to protect the paint.
It's discovered during aerodynamic and road testing of the vehicles, usually before they ever go to market.
They are NOT meant to be peeled off.
I have seen similar on previous vehicles I have owned as well

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Haith @ Apr 24 2010, 08:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316456
They are there to protect the paint in higher risk for wear areas. Road splatter, sand etc would tend to cause damage to the paint in those areas, so the manufacturers put that stuff there, to protect the paint.
It's discovered during aerodynamic and road testing of the vehicles, usually before they ever go to market.
They are NOT meant to be peeled off.
I have seen similar on previous vehicles I have owned as well
Thanks much-now it makes perfect sense! Glad I didn't peel them off-just would have been helpful if the dealership gave me that plausible explanation. Again, thanks for your help. Tedrik

·
Registered
116 Posts
No problem. If you look at the area where those protectors are, the door also flares out at the same spot. Little turbulence area.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD also has (had) these clear plastic patches at the bottoms of both rear doors and the bottom edge of both rear wheel wells. I noticed them by accident when I saw brown dirt accumulated on the top edge of the wheel well clear plastic patch.

Apparently when they were installed at the factory there was a little bubble at the place where the clear plastic rounded into the door frame at the wheel well. This left a pocket at the top of the wheel well plastic patch.

This started to trap dirt and was now visible on my Frost White Pearl vehicle.

I peeled them all off - now I wish I didn't. I assumed they were just for protection in transit.

Does anybody know where I can get these plastic patches to apply again? I saw 3M makes protective film, but I would never be able to accurately cut the film to look nice. Is there a part number from Hyundai for these clear plastic patches?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE (the_chemist @ May 1 2011, 04:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=438542
Does anybody know where I can get these plastic patches to apply again? I saw 3M makes protective film, but I would never be able to accurately cut the film to look nice. Is there a part number from Hyundai for these clear plastic patches?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
When I was in for service a few months ago, there was another SF in the pre-service bay and I saw the owner showing the service manager the damaged/bubbled patch at the rear wheel. I overheard that they had ordered new ones but for the wrong side. Only thing I didn't hear is if it was covered by the warranty. But I least you know you can get them from the dealer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Stef,

Thanks! My Santa Fe is going in to be cleaned by the dealer this Tuesday as it was just delivered to me last week on a rainy day.

I'll tell the dealer of my adhesion problems with the original patches and hopefully they can order me a set of new ones for both sides.

I really appreciate your reply.

Chris

·
Registered
709 Posts
Glad I could help. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just to update: My dealer tried to install the anti-chip film on the rear doors and rear quarter panel by the doors last week.

They had to re-order the clear films. They got dirt under one of them, a bubble under another and a fingerprint under another.

Hopefully the next attempt will be performed by someone who is competent in the installation.

I may end up having to purchase these parts and do it myself with a good slip solution, alcohol solution, a squeegee and a hair dryer.

I'll keep you all posted.

I have part numbers for these if anybody wants them...

Chris

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, My dealer had a place called R.E.M. (not the band) install the anti-chip films on my Santa Fe.

I will post the pictures below. The installation appears good, but I am not happy with the alignment and positioning of the films. They don't look as nice as the factory installation.

I'm thinking if the company that installed them (R.E.M) specializes in this sort of work and used a good slip solution how could they be happy with the alignment of the anti-chip films? I certainly wouldn't have signed my name to that job.

Hyundai strives to achieve perfect alignment on their vehicles - and in my opinion, Hyundai does an awesome job. This makes it look a little sloppy.

What does everyone else think?

[attachment=26209:anti_chip_left.jpg]

[attachment=26210:anti_chip_right.jpg]

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (the_chemist @ May 20 2011, 03:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=448638
Well, My dealer had a place called R.E.M. (not the band) install the anti-chip films on my Santa Fe.

I will post the pictures below. The installation appears good, but I am not happy with the alignment and positioning of the films. They don't look as nice as the factory installation.

I'm thinking if the company that installed them (R.E.M) specializes in this sort of work and used a good slip solution how could they be happy with the alignment of the anti-chip films? I certainly wouldn't have signed my name to that job.

Hyundai strives to achieve perfect alignment on their vehicles - and in my opinion, Hyundai does an awesome job. This makes it look a little sloppy.

What does everyone else think?

[attachment=26209:anti_chip_left.jpg]

[attachment=26210:anti_chip_right.jpg]

Chris
I compared my patches (factory placement) and yours are not too far off-actually not a bad job.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tedrik,

Thanks for going to the trouble to look at your patches and compare! I really appreciate it.

I was looking at some others on the dealer lot and the top part of the quarter panel was just about even with the top part of the patch on the door. The patches on my doors are higher than the patches on the quarter panels, so I thought they were out of proper position.

Faulkner Hyundai in Harrisburg really tries to keep you a satisfied customer. I'm very happy with them! The service staff is very accommodating.

Thanks again for checking Tedrik!

Chris

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (the_chemist @ May 21 2011, 05:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=448995
Tedrik,

Thanks for going to the trouble to look at your patches and compare! I really appreciate it.

I was looking at some others on the dealer lot and the top part of the quarter panel was just about even with the top part of the patch on the door. The patches on my doors are higher than the patches on the quarter panels, so I thought they were out of proper position.

Faulkner Hyundai in Harrisburg really tries to keep you a satisfied customer. I'm very happy with them! The service staff is very accommodating.

Thanks again for checking Tedrik!

Chris
You're welcome! In fact, on my drivers side the patches are almost even-but on the passenger side (like yours) the patch on the door is higher than the patch on the quarter panel. I noticed it varied when checking many others at the dealership over a year ago. I guess there's a tolerance in the placement where the vehicle will still be protected. I'm over a year in ownership and have no dings-scratches in those areas (no dings/scratches anywhere "knock on wood").

·
Registered
709 Posts
I agree with Tedrik. Here are some pics of my factory patches.

If you notice, the door patches are larger (in height) than the `dog leg`patches. Not only that, but the passenger side door patch looks larger than the driver side one
Driver side
[attachment=26293:SSPX0255.jpg]

Passenger side
[attachment=26294:SSPX0256.jpg]

I know, I know, car was dirty and I need to remove the wax residue that I missed. :whistling:

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
QUOTE (Stef71 @ May 21 2011, 08:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=449014
I agree with Tedrik. Here are some pics of my factory patches.

If you notice, the door patches are larger (in height) than the `dog leg`patches. Not only that, but the passenger side door patch looks larger than the driver side one
Driver side
[attachment=26293:SSPX0255.jpg]

Passenger side
[attachment=26294:SSPX0256.jpg]

I know, I know, car was dirty and I need to remove the wax residue that I missed. :whistling:

Stef & Tedrik,

Hey, Thanks again to both of you for going to all the trouble!

Here's something very interesting: I am attaching photo's of a 2011 Santa Fe that I took on the dealer lot. The patches on it and all other Santa Fe's on the lot had equal height patches.

You both have 2010 Santa Fe's. Mine is a 2011. I wonder if they changed the protective film patches for 2011 as I don't remember mine as being different heights (just poor adhesion with dirt behind them). Maybe the supply of replacement patches are still the 2010's.

Either they have a shorter door patch for 2011 or a taller Dog Leg patch for the quarter panel.

Anyway, I guess I am happy with my job after looking at Stef's pictures.

[attachment=26306:Dealer_Patch_Left.jpg]

[attachment=26307:Dealer_Patch_Right.jpg]

Thanks again to you both! I really appreciate it.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Not a problem. Pictures are worth a 1000 words.

From the pictures you provided, it looks like the patches are the same size (between 2010 and 2011) but the placement is different. They just lowered the door patch to match the top part of the dog leg patch. If you look closely, the bottom part is quite a bit lower on the door patch. Just look at the space between the bottom of the door and the patch in my pictures and compare that to the pictures you provided.

End result, cleaner look. I'm surprised that it wasn't done like that right off the bat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts