Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first winter with this vehicle and today is the coldest temperature I've experienced with it to date. This morning it was -27C with a wind chill of -37C. It started ok, was a little sluggish when I first hit the start button and the gear shift required more effort to put it in drive. Overall I'm happy with it's ability to warm up.

Lurn 2 Spel

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
We have had a week of -35 to -40c and without out a block heater I don't think she would have fired up. Wind chill was bitter. Can't wait for summer to pull out the drop top.

·
Registered
461 Posts
hit -40c here not including the windchill effect
She don't like to keep the heat even at highway speeds .
If I let her gauge get up to temp b4 cranking up the heat it still drops.. ..

·
Registered
334 Posts
When it gets that cold you gotta dress her up some and help out.

Ever wonder why lots of 18 wheelers have the grill covered up?

Used to use cardboard covered rad with 6-10in hole in centre during Yukon winters on my '59 Chev.

·
Registered
461 Posts
When it gets that cold you gotta dress her up some and help out.

Ever wonder why lots of 18 wheelers have the grill covered up?

Used to use cardboard covered rad with 6-10in hole in centre during Yukon winters on my '59 Chev.
Does not do a thing besides cause a super cooled spot on the rad which can freeze.
Rigs have them because they are diesel.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does not do a thing besides cause a super cooled spot on the rad which can freeze.
Rigs have them because they are diesel.
A long time ago, when I lived in Ottawa, I had a Nissan 200sx, I put cardboard across the grill and it worked. It was the only way to keep any heat.

Lurn 2 Spel

·
22,793 Posts
Cardboard across the grill? Oh, brother, I've done that! Been a couple of decades ago, but it sure as heck kept the cabin warm. And the temp gauge didn't rise on the dash display so I didn't worry about it overheating.

@ swduncan: 40F is "cold" in my book, too. The older I get, the less I seem to tolerate the winter seasons. I'm not retiring to the North, I'll promise you that!

G

·
hit -40c here not including the windchill effect
She don't like to keep the heat even at highway speeds .
If I let her gauge get up to temp b4 cranking up the heat it still drops.. ..
Direct injected 4 cylinder motors don't generate much heat when its that cold out.
This was primary reason for getting rid of my 2012 Focus after 11 months of ownership. I could drive around for hours on end without the thermostat ever opening.
Nothing worse than driving around in a 4 wheeled deep freezer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
How did the heater respond?
John
Surprisingly good. Took about 5 minutes to ramp up and start blowing warm air and after another 5 the car was up to temperature. With the heated steering wheel and seats it was really nice, until I stopped and had to get out of the car.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The internal rad which throws heat inside the cabin is before the thermostat. So if your not warming up inside the car nor is your engine block. It was -30C on my last road trip and the car was warm throughout on the trip. No issue's here

Also putting a piece of cardboard in front of the rad only helps keep the block hotter.
Diesels do it because they need hot blocks to ignite the fuel.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
-25 c this morning, fired up no problem. I let it warm up for r about five minutes. I didn't experience any resistance shifting from park to drive this time.

Lurn 2 Spel

G

·
The internal rad which throws heat inside the cabin is before the thermostat. So if your not warming up inside the car nor is your engine block. It was -30C on my last road trip and the car was warm throughout on the trip. No issue's here

Also putting a piece of cardboard in front of the rad only helps keep the block hotter.
Diesels do it because they need hot blocks to ignite the fuel.
Yes but if the engine doesn't get up to temperature you wont have heat. The heater core will only get as warm as the engine coolant circulating thru it.
A hotter block always results in more cabin heat if the hvac is functioning properly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts