Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Temps dropping in VA in the am. definitely have a slight jerk which was gone with the warm weather but the whole driving experience seems better overall. Anybody else notice anything? Wonder if it would have been better to do the update in the winter time...

·
Registered
350 Posts
One of the mornings this week we had 44 degrees overnight and no jerkiness at all in the 2013. It'll be a few months until we have a real test of cold weather performance.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
It was 37 degrees here overnight yesterday and 35 this morning with no signs of jerkiness at all.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I got some jerkiness as described by Reddog. Not too bad. The slight jerkiness I felt before the update wasn't too bad for me either though.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I leave for work around 7 in the morning and it's still in the upper 70s to low 80s! I have noticed that I have a hesitation again when I start to accelerate. Anyone else going through this again?

Chuck

·
Registered
86 Posts
I leave for work around 7 in the morning and it's still in the upper 70s to low 80s! I have noticed that I have a hesitation again when I start to accelerate. Anyone else going through this again?

Chuck
You know its funny you say that- I had the update done, and things seemed much better for the last couple of weeks, but as the temps have dropped, I noticed some acceleration jerkiness again (no where near what it was prior to the update)- but it has happened a bit.... hmmm

·
Registered
91 Posts
You know its funny you say that- I had the update done, and things seemed much better for the last couple of weeks, but as the temps have dropped, I noticed some acceleration jerkiness again (no where near what it was prior to the update)- but it has happened a bit.... hmmm
It's not unreasonable to hear this, as the '13 has hardware differences that a reflash alone cannot replicate. If it's reasonably better, that's probably as good as it gets. If you like the car enough, maybe wait till the '14 model hits. That will probably be your best option for the greatest refinement of this powertrain.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Actually you would probably do much better right now on a 2013 as no more changes to the hardware of the hybrid power train are even on the horizon after all this:

1. More powerful electric motor with output from up 30 kw on a 2012 to 35 kw on the 2013s.
More torque.

2. Smaller yet more powerful battery pack that ups the battery discharge power significantly from 34 kw to 47 kw on the 2013 model.
More power.

3. Updated Hybrid Starter Generator from 8.5 kW to 10.5 kW of capacity to provide more charging capacity and seamless electric starts
Smoother.

Hyundai also improved the hybrid system clutch control, vehicle response by throttle tuning, as well as optimizing regenerative braking shift pattern, and decreasing friction in the compact six-speed transmission.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Actually you would probably do much better right now on a 2013 as no more changes to the hardware of the hybrid power train are even on the horizon after all this:

1. More powerful electric motor with output from up 30 kw on a 2012 to 35 kw on the 2013s.
More torque.

2. Smaller yet more powerful battery pack that ups the battery discharge power significantly from 34 kw to 47 kw on the 2013 model.
More power.

3. Updated 2013 Hybrid Starter Generator from 8.5 kW to 10.5 kW of capacity to provide more charging capacity and seamless electric starts
Smoother.

Hyundai also improved the hybrid system clutch control, vehicle response by throttle tuning, as well as optimizing regenerative braking shift pattern,
and decreasing friction in the compact six-speed transmission on the 2013s.
Also, the styling isn't due for a refresh until 2015 and don't expect much of a change then as the HSH has the one of the lowest coefficients of drag available.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Low CD or not, it makes really good sense to evolve the design of the non-HSH versions, and not evolve the HSH. Makes for good continuity and a warm fuzzy feeling that you're getting a real 2015 if you go with the HSH in that model year.
BTW, I'm a mind reader so I can reasonably predict who the next comment will com from:00000732:.

·
Banned
694 Posts
I'm positive the design will evolve but after the Hyundai engineers worked so hard to get the HSH's Cd to be the lowest in the US - along with the Prius - I'm even more positive they won't monkey around with the styling too much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts