Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apologies if this has been discussed before: my search didn't turn up anything.

Ever since the temperature here in North Carolina has dipped below 45 degrees F in the mornings, our Santa Fe has not been what I would call operating normally.
Here is the scenario:

Below 45-50 degrees F outside temp. (Doesn't seem to matter how far below this temp, other than taking longer for engine to warm up.)
Engine cold/not up to operating temperature

Here are the symptoms:

At idle, the engine shakes bad enough to vibrate the car.
Under normal acceleration (no more than 1/3rd throttle), acts as if it has an intermittent miss. (EDIT: Seems to be a little worse in ECO mode)
While still below operating temp, miss seems to go away at speeds >50 mph.
Once engine achieves operating temp, engine runs normally.
At outside temps >50 degrees F, no issue.

Has anyone else experienced this or similar issues? If so, what did the dealer say/do?

BTW, This is my wife's first major complaint about this car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have first hand experience of this issue.

I used to have a job where people would come to me and say, "my computer doesn't work", so I am well versed in extrapolating information from the "user", and she knows better than to just tell me something like, "the car is being weird" and not expect to answer multiple questions.

My main reason for posting is this: if it happens with others, then maybe it is just a consequence of the "winter blend" of fuel that the EPA forces on us, or something like that. But if no one else is experiencing this, then maybe there is an issue?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps the ECU is off because this car didn't come from a dealer here in NC, but further south. Perhaps the different regional winter fuel blends in the US require different ECU maps? Maybe an ECU reflash will solve it?

That, or an injector that doesn't want to operate properly in the cold at <30% throttle...

Anyway, I have an appointment next week for them to drive it cold and see what they can determine. Will report back what they find.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it took two days (wasn't cold enough the first day) but the issue duplicated itself for the tech. they said they have never seen one do that. they hooked it up to their diagnostic system, and... it says all is normal.

Service Dept Mgr has opened a case with Hyundai about this, so now we wait and see what they say.

Of course, my wife's solution was to move to a warmer climate... :rolleyes:

Will update as I know more.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Mine seemed to have a little "miss" yesterday, but the temperature was 6 degrees here in Colorado.

Of course most dealers usually say "we have never seen this before."

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't think your experience is normal

When the weather is cold, I drive my kids to school instead of them taking the bus. Over the last month or so, we've had unusually cold weather, with many days starting out in single digits. Yesterday it was 8 degrees, and today it was 11 degrees. Absolutely no issues with anything at anytime.

I've also had many long drives (over an hour) in temps well below freezing, and again, no issues.

I will say that I keep my car in the garage, so if you don't, perhaps your experience has something to do with being exposed to the cold for extended periods.

Good luck solving your problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

I don't know what exact info the dealer gave Hyundai, or what Hyundai knows, but Hyundai told the dealer to replace the #6 injector, so it's on order and will be replaced sometime next week.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When the weather is cold, I drive my kids to school instead of them taking the bus. Over the last month or so, we've had unusually cold weather, with many days starting out in single digits. Yesterday it was 8 degrees, and today it was 11 degrees. Absolutely no issues with anything at anytime.

I've also had many long drives (over an hour) in temps well below freezing, and again, no issues.

I will say that I keep my car in the garage, so if you don't, perhaps your experience has something to do with being exposed to the cold for extended periods.

Good luck solving your problem.
I don't have a garage. That being said, people around here had garage temps around freezing, which would have been cold enough for my issue.

I'm just glad to know it is something they can fix...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine seemed to have a little "miss" yesterday, but the temperature was 6 degrees here in Colorado.

Of course most dealers usually say "we have never seen this before."
You might want to monitor it closely: Mine started out little, and progressively got worse. That fact that Hyundai got back with the dealer in less than an hour and told them to replace the #6 injector may suggest that this will start appearing more often.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the car back from getting its #6 injector replaced. Wife said this morning it drove smooth as silk (and it was cold enough the problem would have appeared) in regular mode. Will try ECO mode tomorrow.

Service manager told me that this is an issue that is on Hyundai's "radar", and that when this problem comes up, they are to replace #6 injector first. If problem reoccurs, replace the rest of the injectors. The issue is that the injectors, "stick" (at least that is what the service order said).

So hopefully this resolves my issue and doesn't reoccur.

·
Registered
77 Posts
THanks For the INFO!!!

I have had my car in 2x over the past 2 weeks for this and been told it is "Normal". I cant wait to share this with the service manager and get it fixed. I was even on the phone with someone the mechanic in the shop that stated he was on the phone with hyundai corp and they stated it was part of the ecu programming to warm up he catalytic converter. my car actually shakes pretty hard at times and at at others just does not feel right and I could not imagine that to be correct.

this is why forums of this nature are so great!

KW

·
Registered
418 Posts
Got the car back from getting its #6 injector replaced. Wife said this morning it drove smooth as silk (and it was cold enough the problem would have appeared) in regular mode. Will try ECO mode tomorrow.

Service manager told me that this is an issue that is on Hyundai's "radar", and that when this problem comes up, they are to replace #6 injector first. If problem reoccurs, replace the rest of the injectors. The issue is that the injectors, "stick" (at least that is what the service order said).

So hopefully this resolves my issue and doesn't reoccur.
Thank you for the update. I will keep that in mind if the "stumbling" shows up again. At least Hyundai is aware of this issue.:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just as a follow up, apparently this vehicle has had some sort of issue from the beginning. Since we took delivery, it would seem to be less responsive and sometimes "stumble" in ECO mode, especially when the engine was not up to operating temperature. I thought that this was just a by-product of ECO mode, never having owned a vehicle with such an option. By less responsive I mean that slight changes in throttle position seemed to have no effect. I just chalked this up to a combo of ECO mode and my inexperience with a throttle pedal that is hinged to the floor, and that I would eventually get used to it. After getting this injector replaced, the car in ECO mode runs WAY better! ECO mode now is like non-ECO mode was before, and now in non-ECO mode the car is much more responsive to slight changes in throttle position.

Just filled up for the first time after getting this injector replaced. I am thinking that I should see a noticeable uptick in fuel mileage. We shall see...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have had my car in 2x over the past 2 weeks for this and been told it is "Normal". I cant wait to share this with the service manager and get it fixed. I was even on the phone with someone the mechanic in the shop that stated he was on the phone with hyundai corp and they stated it was part of the ecu programming to warm up he catalytic converter. my car actually shakes pretty hard at times and at at others just does not feel right and I could not imagine that to be correct.
I'll try to remember to get my copy of the service order out and list what it says here in the event that is useful to others.

this is why forums of this nature are so great!

KW
Agreed!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apologies for not getting the info on here that I said I would. This evening I will try to post all relevant information from the Service Order along with my dealer's phone number and service advisor's name in the event anyone want's their dealer to call them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Apologies for my tardiness: here is what they replaced.

1 35310-3C550 Injector Assy - Fuel
1 91941-B8010 Upr Cover - E/R J/B

Then when I started smelling fuel after this fix, they replaced the following:

6 35312-3C700 Upper O-Ring
6 35312-3C710 Backup O-Ring
1 35305-3C101 Pipe Assy-Fuel, Hi

They were also going to replace all 6 of 35312-3C720 Injector Tip Seal, but changed their minds.

So after all of this, my car is back to normal now.

The dealer that performed all of this (if you need your dealer to call them) is Bob Dunn Hyundai in Greensboro, NC. The phone number is (336)275-9761 and the Service Advisor's name is David.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts