Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a noise from cold starts in the morning when it is cold outside? Mine does a ticking noise, no not the normal ticking noise, but a different ticking noise like something is tapping something. Could this be that the fuel injectors or cold so it makes a louder noise? Another noise is constant clicking when I decelerate or am going very slow. It only does this when it is cold outside and it lasts for about 10 to 15 minutes and then the noise becomes a lot quiter. Is this normal?

·
Registered
134 Posts
You do get more GDI injector noise on startup, and it lasts longer on a cold start (think it uses a dual-stage injection cycle in order to warm up the catalyst faster). When I have noticed it, it usually quiets down quite suddenly. It's hard to say if that is what you are hearing though. Could post a video?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Does anyone else have a noise from cold starts in the morning when it is cold outside? Mine does a ticking noise, no not the normal ticking noise, but a different ticking noise like something is tapping something. Could this be that the fuel injectors or cold so it makes a louder noise? Another noise is constant clicking when I decelerate or am going very slow. It only does this when it is cold outside and it lasts for about 10 to 15 minutes and then the noise becomes a lot quiter. Is this normal?
are you changing your oil according to schedule and using a quality filter?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I change oil every 3000 miles and use a bosch filter that seems pretty decent. I dont think a video will help because its not loud enough to really hear on a video I dont think. I hear it the most in the cabin then I do outside.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
My 2008 Accent with 95k miles will tap at start up using OEM filters. It would also tap with Purolator filters. This is with 0w20 oil. It gets worse as the oil ages. Like a audible warning it's time to change the oil.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I change oil every 3000 miles and use a bosch filter that seems pretty decent. I dont think a video will help because its not loud enough to really hear on a video I dont think. I hear it the most in the cabin then I do outside.
Bosch oil filters are very good filters.

2005 TSB?!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I think my car sounds like a weedeater when I first start it. LOL

·
Registered
69 Posts
Two week young owner here. Found I am getting a tapping or ticking like sound when I am coasting. Seems to be eminating from the engine compartment. Hard to tell as it only occurs when I am moving without my foot on the accelerator. Got to wondering if this is normal for this car when the above poster said, "not the normal ticking noise".

·
Registered
920 Posts
Two week young owner here. Found I am getting a tapping or ticking like sound when I am coasting. Seems to be eminating from the engine compartment. Hard to tell as it only occurs when I am moving without my foot on the accelerator. Got to wondering if this is normal for this car when the above poster said, "not the normal ticking noise".
Can you be more specific. How many miles on the car are you changing the oil routinely maybe using an aftermarket oil filter?
Those are known to cause a knocking sound on some cars.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Can you be more specific. How many miles on the car are you changing the oil routinely maybe using an aftermarket oil filter?
Those are known to cause a knocking sound on some cars.
Had the car for two weeks now, did it since I drove it off the lot and still does it now with 500 miles or so. Was going to have it checked during my first oil change as I get no sense it's a safety issue. Figured I'd look around on this forum incase it's a known issue. Does not matter if the car is hot or cold. When I accelerate or idle at a light it's quite. I only hear it when I lift off the accelerator and coast. Sounds like a tapping sound coming from the front of the car.

·
Registered
477 Posts
WELCOME TO THE HYUNDAI Theta II High Pressure Fuel Pump which is directly on top of the valve cover towards the driver side. It's driven off the rear cam, and can get very loud on cold start up. No many ways to quiet it down aside from using heavier old, per the owners manual and https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/ 2.4l (5w20, 5w30, 10w30) 2.0t is (5w30 or 5w40).

I wish the dealership would warn or tell people about this before the buyer leaves the lot

·
Registered
920 Posts
Had the car for two weeks now, did it since I drove it off the lot and still does it now with 500 miles or so. Was going to have it checked during my first oil change as I get no sense it's a safety issue. Figured I'd look around on this forum incase it's a known issue. Does not matter if the car is hot or cold. When I accelerate or idle at a light it's quite. I only hear it when I lift off the accelerator and coast. Sounds like a tapping sound coming from the front of the car.
I wonder what it is. Can't be the normal tick of the GDI engine. Please update us to what it is.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tapping sound

I have about 600 miles on 2014 Sonata GLS. I usually drive with ESPN FM, books on CD, or my playlists turned up fairly loud so I hadn't noticed the tapping noise until recently. I thought I'd leave it to the service appointment to see what's up.

BTW every now and then my car gives a little shake from the rear. I call it "wagging its tail." It's minimal, but I'm also gonna have the Service Dept. look into it, too. Maybe I'd better ease up on the Motown.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I wonder what it is. Can't be the normal tick of the GDI engine. Please update us to what it is.
The dealer is just going to say it's normal for the car. I remember when the 2011 first came out there were lines of people complaining about the same thing, all dealer did was bring the car in fill it with 10w30 and pushed them out the door.

·
Registered
223 Posts
CP-E cat back exhaust with race pipe and a CAI will get rid of all annoying engine noises by masking over it! Why say no to extra performance and no more annoying sounds and rattles?!!! I'm doing this soon.. Haha kidding..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts