Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car stops firing when cold. What can i check. Everything's working until it get cold.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now it's too cold to check but I know the tach not moving during crank and everything was working and running at 9pm and 7am no start. Fuel pump went out last winter. Crankshaft and cam sensor, coil and plugs NGK was replaced around this time last year. Car wouldn't start in cold weather. Warm weather runs fine.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Right now it's too cold to check but I know the tach not moving during crank and everything was working and running at 9pm and 7am no start. Fuel pump went out last winter. Crankshaft and cam sensor, coil and plugs NGK was replaced around this time last year. Car wouldn't start in cold weather. Warm weather runs fine.
Tach should move during crank, this is a sign that your crankshaft sensor is not working or receiving proper voltage, have you scanned for codes?

I don't think the tach is supposed to move when cranking. Only after engine start.
Watch your tach closely, it should move, it’s subtle, but it does. If tach doesn’t move, it means it’s not getting signal from crankshaft sensor.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
It looks like the crank sensor but they usually start playing up when hot. I would first check the electrical connection at the sensor. As mentioned scan for codes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you can get an extension cord out to the car you could try a couple of things. A hair dryer aimed at the CPS for a few minutes or the ECU or fuses/relays? A heater in the car under the fuse box? Different sensors? Try to warm only one item at a time and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I couldn't get a chance to do the dryer stuff. It warmed up today and snowed all day. Had to be at hospital for a procedure the majority of today. When out brushed the snow off and started it up. Warming it up now as i speak. Something's wrong but I don't know what. It only happens when it's cold outside. Where do i begine..

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Check and see if it has spark when it will not start. Try spraying starting fluid in it and see. Do something.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for their suggestion. It seems my threads kind of got spreaded from alternator to no start in cold. Looking thru Chilton I ended with different ways for removal cause alternator went out. This problem with no start when cold. I've tried a lot of things from earlier post from last year when fuel pump went out. No start due to cold weather from DDR. Auto spark and I went thru a lot of checks. Couldn't find anything except when its cold outside I get a no start. Starting fluid didn't work. Would like to figure this out somehow cause it got me puzzle. I'm thinking an engine heater of some kind but running in problems for the right one for this engine. Before to figure out what causing no start.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it did it again Mr Cold.. No start in cold starting fluid did not work no spark hair dryer on crankshaft sensor ans ir started. Any suggestion on what to do with that scenario so I don't have to heat it when it's cold out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't check that. Didn't start this morning so I sprayed starting fluid and still no crank pulled plug and coil for spark. Nothing there. Put hair dryer on crank sensor and it started.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Didn't check that. Didn't start this morning so I sprayed starting fluid and still no crank pulled plug and coil for spark. Nothing there. Put hair dryer on crank sensor and it started.
Although the sensor usually fails when warmed if this is repeatable I would replace it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not to stir the pot, but wanted to add my 2 cents.

My sons 2010 accent is the worst car for starting in the cold that I have ever had the experience of starting. Battery is less than 2 years old. I think the batteries on these are undersized for whatever reason. Battery has a jacket on it too.Today it barley started. After it did start, the check engine light was flashing, so I shut it off. I then restarted it. Same thing, it was idling high but ok and then the flashing stopped.

Meanwhile my "new" 2000 k3500 (7.4L v8) started like it was 80* outside. (This truck sits right next to the accent outside.) Granted this has dual batteries and has a block heater and is plugged in.

I am just in awe at how bad this small car starts when it's 0 or below.

I am starting to think a coil pack or plug might be going. It turns over but takes while to actually fire. Could be fuel related as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes i believe the battery could stand more juice in it. Mine done same thing other day. Weather warmed back up now waiting for the next cold spell to try just the starting fluid. If that don't work I'm replace that cranksensor from a different store that I got this one from.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts