Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car thermometer actually hit -30 (-22f) I wasn't able to get a picture at the time.

The car heater was struggling to keep the cold at bay. It would have been a cold drive in if not for the heated seats and steering wheel. The windows stayed clear mind you so plus! Getting terrible gas millage this week. I do not think many cars can cope to well at this temperature.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
The car thermometer actually hit -30 (-22f) I wasn't able to get a picture at the time.

The car heater was struggling to keep the cold at bay. It would have been a cold drive in if not for the heated seats and steering wheel. The windows stayed clear mind you so plus! Getting terrible gas millage this week. I do not think many cars can cope to well at this temperature.
Wow! I was wondering how good the Elantra heater was! Thanks for the info. Once the heater got going, I was comfortable at 13degF with the lowest fan setting & the temperature gauge a bit over halfway.

You have a lower temperature than some of the Arctic temperatures I report at a website, altho I have reported -42degC(-41degF) on the west shore of Hudson's Bay, Canada. Watson Lake, Canada has had 3 bouts with -40degC temperatures, this season.

Where are you, inviting such cold?

Is that right, your fuel consumption is 18l/100kms(~ 12-13mpg)?

·
Registered
217 Posts
We had only -27C this morning. VC working and running well. The gas mileage is around the same 15-18l / 100 km. It would be 15 l/100km but having to warm up the car (for kids and adults alike) for 15 minutes before getting going kills whatever remains of the gas mileage... :)

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
We had only -27C this morning. VC working and running well. The gas mileage is around the same 15-18l / 100 km. It would be 15 l/100km but having to warm up the car (for kids and adults alike) for 15 minutes before getting going kills whatever remains of the gas mileage... :)
Ottawa has a latitude way south of our Salish Sea(Puget Sound) 47-49 degrees. We have never had -27C temperatures, because of the warming from the Pacific Ocean & locally by the Salish Sea. Back in the 1950's, we had -6degF(-21degC). Nothing below zero for a....(decade?). On a drive between two towns three years ago, the fairly accurate car thermometer got down to 6degF(-14defC).

Go to pure-gas.org to find the 100% gasoline(ethanol-free) stations in Ottawa. There is a great zoomable map! Only 91 octane is available, but it might help start cold engines in the morning & will lower fuel consumption, compared to 10% ethanol blends. However, the 91 octane won't provide lower fuel consumption than 87 octane 100% gasoline(which Ottawa doesn't have). Should help any running problems you may have & give extra smoothness. One review at "details" says one of the stations has fairly good prices compared to name brand 10% ethanol blends.

Dress the kids warm & try getting underway before 15 minutes goes by. If you don't have an engine block heater, try an electric dip stick to keep oil engine oil warm through the night. Starting should be easier & the engine will have less wear.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
wow...i'm a few hours drive away from you and it has yet to get that cold. i can say that my accent has been having trouble keeping me warm though. just takes a little longer is all.

i wouldn't waste any money on the dip stick style heaters. the wattage is so low they're really a waste of time and money. get a real block heater installed if you want to go that route. its well worth it, i love mine!! get a timer on it though, crappy tire sells the outdoor ones cheap :) 2 hours is the most you need regardless of the weather.

everyone's gas mileage sucks in that kind of cold...life sucks :p its just a fact of life and physics. i know i lose about 100km/tank in the really cold weather even with a block heater.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts