Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have gotten a record breaking amount of snow this winter and it has been tough on the smaller vehicles. The last couple days my car has developed an odd issue. When I start the car and it is not warmed up as in there is only one bar on the engine temp meter, I put the car into reverse but don't take my foot off the brakes and the car starts to vibrate strongly. Once it's warmed up to a few bars it operates normally. I know the brakes have some ice on them too but that is a different matter, also there is snow/ice packed into the underside due to the amount of snow on the roads here.

Car is currently parked in my garage with the heater heater on so hopefully it can melt some of the junk from the underside by tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Random engine vibrations in the Elantra are pretty common, and in cold weather it only gets worse with defrosters and seat heaters running.

Here in Ottawa it's been extremely cold lately (-25c), and both of my cars are making all sorts of weird noises when first started. I figure that if I sat outside all night at those temperatures, so would I :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This car has seen a few days of -35C and not shown any signs of vibrating out of normal. Groaned real ominously once when it didn't get plugged in but warmed up fine.

Problem is or was I'm guessing ice buildup around the engine bay. Had the garage around melting most of the night and its melting outside today and no more vibrating.

I will be heading to night shift next week so the car can spend the night in the heated shop and be bone dry by the end of the shift.

·
Registered
33 Posts
-20 to -30 degree usually, when I start my vehicle, rpm is near 2 - 2.5 (X1000), which after 10-15 min get to 1 when temp bar rises to mid.
I usually don't start seat heating & inside temp, until temp bar rises to mid. Let car heat itself first then I would :p.
After that everything gets normal.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Also... when its cold, the various bushings and mounts and other rubber components harden and transfer more vibration than normal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Still convinced the vibrations and difficult cold-starting is a quality issue.

I never had so much difficulty with my prior vehicle, a Corolla.

Even when it's in the 50s and 60s, I get harsh vibration and difficult start.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My issue had everything to do with ice/snow build up in the engine compartment. We had a record snowfall this year and half the time I was pushing snow with bumper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts