Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every body,

I live in New England area. I just went through the first cold of the winter last week. It was about 20 F ( I believe so). And, the car did not start up normally. Today and the entire this week should be must warmer. However, I am afraid that the issue would come back randomly, and one day I may be a lone under the cold night. So, I created the account for some help.

So,basically, the car just has had an brand new engine from Hyundai not long caused knocking engine. I don't know if it is because of the cold or just some parts broke out. But, right now, sometime there is cranking, but not start. It sounds like the battery is weak, or fuel problem. One day, I remember it was pretty cold. It just did not start at all, but still cranking. Sometimes, there is not cranking ( I thought it just because I try to start the car too many times at a short periods). When I research on forums. There are several topics about this, even 2018 cars. So, I am here to ask first.

After the research, I realize that the issue may be from the starter. The starter shift lever is broken. So, my question is as my car sometimes does not start, but it still able to start. If the starter shiftier level is broken, can it be started? or it will never able to start?
Second, it may be the Purge Solenoid. It is strange because it may be the issue, but I think it should prove checking engine light or code. In my case, it does not at all. So, may it still the issue?
Third, it maybe the Ignition Coil Extension Wire Harness, too. But, I think if it is, then the car should stall. In my case, once the car starts up, it runs just perfectly. What a strange?
fourth, I think about the trick battery. It is 3-4 months old. But, it really may drop volt at cranking time. I just lost the voltmeter. I will check it soon....

Any suggestion??? I appreciate it. I don't know if it just stops sever me in the super cold.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
If you guess it is one thing or another then test your assumption.
Personally, I find cold weather affects the battery the most.
Busiest time at the auto parts stores for batteries.

If starter lever is broken then most likely not be able to crank engine.
Purge solenoid should turn on check engine light
but may require a few drive cycles before it lights up
When it is severely cold, fuel lines can freeze up if there is moisture in the system

So what is the issue?? I don't know. But, when you think it may be one thing or
another then do some test to either rule it out or confirm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, grcauto, the car did not start well last week. Now, it is better, but I have to try 2-3 times each start. , I am scared if it comes back later.

So, what I need for help is diagnosis which avisitor did help me. Yeah, I am not an mechanic or you can say I don't have any knowledge about car. So, those are very helpful.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
could you help me the third one. Do you think this cause the problem.
Freezing fuel line or moisture in fuel line??
There are products to take care of this. HEET.
But, I don't know if that is your issue.

Try turning the key to the "ON" or "RUN" position a few times before trying to crank
and then, start the engine.
This will make the vehicle run the fuel pump a few times.
It only turns on fuel pump for second or so.
Doing this s few times puts fuel into the fuel rail (hopefully).
Then starting the engine. If easily starts then may be fuel issue.

Put volt meter on battery and crank.,
If the voltage drops below 10 volts then engine will probably not start.
The vehicle's computer wants to see better than 9.5 volts in order to work right.

Good luck finding the problem. Intermittent issues are the hardest to troubleshoot

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've had to start in mid/upper 20s just recently, and in these colder temps I've noticed it takes more cranks, but it always starts.

I'm getting maintenance (oil, tires, wash) done at the dealership on Monday and the battery check is free.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My guess is water in fuel line. Had the same issue the first very cold morning a week ago and I only had 1/8 tank of gas. Battery was a bit low, but even jump starting did not work. It was cranking fine, but just not turning over. Finally started a few days later when it was warmer and I immediately added iso-HEET and filled the tank. Also replaced the battery, but I don't think that was the issue. Still, it was already 6 years old so probably was a good thing to do with the winter coming (I also live in NE).

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Ethanol is a dry gas.

Replace the battery.

Improve injector spray pattern with a fuel bottles of FI cleaner. Techron, Redline SI1, Amsoil PI, Regane, RoyalPurple... are some good choices for fuel injector cleaners.

Use a synthetic oil.

If the starter lever breaks, it will not start again until you replace it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello everybody,
Thanks for reply and help me. I appreciate it. I just have the entire day outside.

Yeah avisitor, my question about the third one is it maybe the Ignition Coil Extension Wire Harness, too. But, I think if it is, then the car should stall. In my case, once the car starts up, it runs just perfectly. What a strange?
But, it just does not make sense. If it does so, I believe it should have more problem with running instead of starting.

I just bought a bottles of fuel cleaner, and yellow heet. I pour them all into the full tank to hope its fixed.
The funny thing is the air filter is super dusty. I clean it up a little bit. Plus, it is must warmer today. Plus, two bottles of treatment. I see it is even easier to start. So, but it is hard to say now.

My next plan is replacing the air filter as soon as possible.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The car will not start if the battery doesn't have at least 10.8 volts. It will still crank but will never start if the battery voltage is below this threshold. There's a Hyundai dealer tech on this forum that has stated this in the past.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dusty air filter, probable water in the fuel, slow cranking............... sounds like a lot of catch up maintenance is required here

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hello everyone,
I just replace all two air filters.
And, I probe the battery by voltmeter.

without cranking, it is about 12.7 or 8.

when cranking, it is about 11.7 or 8.
So, now it is still have the problem.
I will look at the check value next.
And, hopefully it is water on line. I remember the next point that The problem has occurred since I filled gasoline at a station.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The fuel pump works when you step on the brake. So wait till it gets full pressure, before pushing start.
@sony2000 - are you sure about your statement? I have never heard of this, what is your basis for saying that? Every car I have owned in the last 15 years spins up the fuel pump to pressurize the fuel rail for a couple seconds solely on a "key on" cycle. The ECU will again turn the fuel pump on once it sees active data coming in from the cam/crank sensor that the engine is rotating.

The ECU won't let the starter crank the engine if you don't have your foot on the brake when you change key to start position but the fuel pump has already spun up at this point. Please elaborate on your statement.

·
Registered
252 Posts
@sony2000 - are you sure about your statement? I have never heard of this, what is your basis for saying that? Every car I have owned in the last 15 years spins up the fuel pump to pressurize the fuel rail for a couple seconds solely on a "key on" cycle. The ECU will again turn the fuel pump on once it sees active data coming in from the cam/crank sensor that the engine is rotating.

The ECU won't let the starter crank the engine if you don't have your foot on the brake when you change key to start position but the fuel pump has already spun up at this point. Please elaborate on your statement.
Well in my 2012 Sonata Hybrid if i put my foot on the brake I can hear the electric fuel pump start up. Then I reach over and push button start the car. Without a doubt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It is about a week. And, it is still annoying me a lot.

In fact, the car has not cranked when it did not start. Once, it cranked, it started and run just totally fine. no stall.... even at idle.

I said its cranking before is because there was always a sound somewhere like a small electric motor. Yeah, I misunderstood it is cranking.
( And, the sounds between when it is able to start and it is not able to start (electric motor sound) are very different).

Any thought?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts