Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I don't know much about car tuning so perhaps this question may be kinda silly. I want to get some extra HPs from my Sonata, so I'm planing to install a cold air intake. Is it possible to install one in a Sonata? I was surfing the web and I only found intakes for the Tiburon, is it possible to adapt them?. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by javierrpaiva@Sep 26 2004, 01:17 PM
Hi, I don't know much about car tuning so perhaps this question may be kinda silly. I want to get some extra HPs from my Sonata, so I'm planing to install a cold air intake. Is it possible to install one in a Sonata? I was surfing the web and I only found intakes for the Tiburon, is it possible to adapt them?. Thanks.
[snapback]1330[/snapback]​

Hi!!!My name is Boby and i have one Sonata 1994 with 1.8SOHC engine.I increace the power with up to 30hp,but it not possible with cold air intake only.I maked new exhaust manifold for the turbocharger.The pressure is 8psi and the engine fill good.Next stage is intercooler and after that i want to "tuning" ECM,but i haven't software for this still yet.If you have any idea please write my.I will very happy to write with people,who want and tuning your Hyundai.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by bobyborisov@Oct 27 2004, 09:35 AM
Hi!!!My name is Boby and i have one Sonata 1994 with 1.8SOHC engine.I increace the power with up to 30hp,but it not possible with cold air intake only.I maked new exhaust manifold for the turbocharger.The pressure is 8psi and the engine fill good.Next stage is intercooler and after that i want to "tuning" ECM,but i haven't software for this still yet.If you have any idea please write my.I will very happy to write with people,who want and tuning your Hyundai.
[snapback]2073[/snapback]​

Hi, i was looking for turbochargers for a sonata but i didn't find any. Where did you get yours? I have a 95 Sonata 2.0 DOHC. It would really be nice to find a turbocharger that fits.

·
Registered
422 Posts
On the note of aftermarket air intake systems.
I have not witnessed on of thses systems, as they are overseas, however an air intake system will only provide a decent gain if it is in the path of cold air.

If you remove your airbox, which gets fed cold air from either your inner gaurd or bonnet line, and put in a air intake system, that hovers over your gearbox or behind your battery, then essentially you are not drawing in any cold air at all, but drawing in hot air from your engine bay.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Nov 2 2004, 08:20 PM
On the note of aftermarket air intake systems.
I have not witnessed on of thses systems, as they are overseas, however an air intake system will only provide a decent gain if it is in the path of cold air.

If you remove your airbox, which gets fed cold air from either your inner gaurd or bonnet line, and put in a air intake system, that hovers over your gearbox or behind your battery, then essentially you are not drawing in any cold air at all, but drawing in hot air from your engine bay.
[snapback]2274[/snapback]​

Exaclty.... You can't expect huge gains from just a cold air intake. And if you just take out the air box, the only thing it will do is help with flow... when you remove the resonators in the intake it will help with flow of intake, but when you aren't drawing in cold air, it'll just hurt you more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not necessarily. I have seen dyno runs performed with a WAI and a CAI on the same vehicle, and in some instances the WAI added more hp because the air has less distance to travel, and there are less restrictive bends in it as well. If you want colder air under your hood, get a hood scoop and an aftermarket fan. Now if you live somewhere where it is extremely cold all the time, then it may help out. If you want power, an intake alone just doesn't cut it. You need a lot more in cunjunction with it to see any good improvements. But I like the intake because it sounds cool. Just me.

·
Registered
422 Posts
There is no arguement however on the fact that a cold air intake, that doesn't actually sit in the path of cold air, will actually take in hot air.

Hotter air into your engine doesn't normally equal horsepower!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Of course, but neither does colder air. ;) It's all about volume chief.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Originally posted by occultworks@Nov 6 2004, 10:09 AM
Of course, but neither does colder air.  ;)  It's all about volume chief.
[snapback]2390[/snapback]​

but neither does colder air.

Actually it does!.......the colder the air reaching your intake the denser the oxygen molecules are packed & thus more power can be released by the combustion process.

Nick.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Actually not to take sides but Valkyrie is aboslutely right! Dont believe him call up a hyundai dealer or give INJEN a call! Here i can even supply the number....just let me know CHIEF....
~~ SARAH

(( BUT WHAT DO I KNOW IM JUST A CHICK)))

·
Registered
341 Posts
to add some numbers which i'm sure many of you have seen

an approximation is that a 10 degress drop in temperature accounts for a 1.5% increase in horsepower.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I spent only 50 bucks on my intake and thats all i needed. I bought a k&n cone filter and fitted it on the end of my mafs. it works great . heres a pic

Well in my opinion an intake is an intake. sure cold air is denser than warm but the hp gain is still minimal. Id say just buy a k&n cone filter if it will fit or if not Get a short ram intake with a k&n filter. now the the 200 bucks you just saved put it towards anything else like headers or exaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi,

Here's a site that discusses, in the technical section, pros and cons about CAI's.

The body kits section also shows a red Lantra with 150kw at the wheels. Wicked.

www.performancestylingcentre.com.au

Hoping this is useful.

Cheers,

Andrew B) .

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would also be concerned with using a "CAI" that connects directly to the MAF. The turbulance going through the MAF might actually cause it to fail or act up after a while if not immediately.

On the note of using a fan.... Any fan will be absolutely useless if not detrimental as the engine is actually sucking so much air that most fans couldn't propel enough air fast enough to actually make an increase. You need to use a turbine (which is what a turbo is) in order to actually increase the velocity of the air that much. Of course adding a turbine also adds heat which is why turbo charged vehicles usually have an intercooler after the turbo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts