Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my 2016 Sonata SE, and am really having issues finding something to fit the 2.4L. Everything I've found is for the 2.0T model. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
You already have a cold air intake from the factory. Follow the intake tube into the filter box, it's opening is at the hood and pulls in only "cold" air from outside. If you are looking for a Short-Ram intake, they already exist. If you want a newly routed intake to move the filter down into the front bumper area or similar, there is someone with a YF sonata that as custom made his own, would have to look around a bit to find the post again.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Been keeping it down-low since it isn't out yet, but I recently brought my LF Sonata in to K&N and they R&D-ed an intake for our Sonata and for the Optima. They're developing it right now and will be contacting me one last time in the next few weeks to have a final fitment and adjustment if needed. Otherwise, I did make a DIY intake that leads to the front left fog light area.

Reactions: brockxa

·
Registered
12 Posts
Been keeping it down-low since it isn't out yet, but I recently brought my LF Sonata in to K&N and they R&D-ed an intake for our Sonata and for the Optima. They're developing it right now and will be contacting me one last time in the next few weeks to have a final fitment and adjustment if needed. Otherwise, I did make a DIY intake that leads to the front left fog light area.
Have you measured the air intake temp? I find that the temp really hot even in winter, reaching 50+ C when soaked in slow moving traffic. The tiny intercooler is probably to blame.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did mine a while back routed the intake towards the bumper and haven't had issues since.

Better gas mileage, pick up speed and plus great sound.

I used the YF intake kit from some shop I linked in one of these threads.

Then got a brand filter with a velocity stack.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Have you measured the air intake temp? I find that the temp really hot even in winter, reaching 50+ C when soaked in slow moving traffic. The tiny intercooler is probably to blame.
I haven't taken air temps but it's something that I've been wanting to take note of. If I plugged an OBD2 in, do you think id be able to get intake temps? Or would just getting a laser thermometer be better?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Using an OBD2 scanner will get you the intake air temperature (IAT).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven't taken air temps but it's something that I've been wanting to take note of. If I plugged an OBD2 in, do you think id be able to get intake temps? Or would just getting a laser thermometer be better?
An OBD2 adapter is worth it. Get Torque App if you use Android so you can read the stats and check error codes. There's also an android auto app that worked before google locked them down that could display meters on your android auto head unit.

·
Registered
258 Posts
An OBD2 adapter is worth it. Get Torque App if you use Android so you can read the stats and check error codes. There's also an android auto app that worked before google locked them down that could display meters on your android auto head unit.
+1
you can find solid OBD2 adapters for cheap on amazon or ebay. if you have iPhone, i suggest getting a wifi OBD2 adapter. the app i use is OBD Fusion, its $9.99. great app though.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,864 Posts
I recently bought my 2016 Sonata SE, and am really having issues finding something to fit the 2.4L. Everything I've found is for the 2.0T model. Any suggestions?
Hi @brockxa and welcome to the forum!

CARiD is an authorized dealer at Hyundai-Forums. At the moment, noone seems to offer a cold air intake for a 2.4 L SE. However, you may be interested in getting a performance panel K&N filter that replaces the OE air filter. Below is the link:
K&N® - 33 Series panel red air filter for 2016 Sonata SE 2.4 L
Just an option you can consider. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2017 Sonata 2.4GDI Limited, Tech Package, 32,000 miles
1,074 Posts
However, you may be interested in getting a performance panel K&N filter that replaces the OE air filter.
"K&N Air Filters are Designed to Increase Horsepower"

How much HP will the K&N add to his Sonata?

" K&N high flow filter media has been tested in K&N own in-house laboratories and by independent labs using the ISO5011 air filtration standard developed by the Society of Automotive Engineers."

Can K&N provide the test results comparing the Sonata factory filter to the K&N replacement?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cold air intakes are useless unless you've got a car with 400+hp.

Your engine is basically a vacuum pump, and will suck as much air as it needs. Unless you've sucked a bird nest into your intake and the filter is totally plugged up, there won't be any power gains.

Any gains people have on stock cars from a "CAI" is that they make more noise, and sound faster.

K&N filters are also like filtering with a spaghetti strainer. I prefer my engine to breathe clean, efficient air to live a long life.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
That's not correct. Cold air is denser and the engine will draw in a greater mass of air. The air volume and temperature will determine the amount of fuel to be injected Hence greater mass of air + more fuel = more power. Very similar to altitude. The higher you go the slower the car goes due to less mass of air intake.
I do agree with the pitfalls with K&N type filters. The oil used also causes problems with air flow meters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dont think air temps would differ by much when using aftermarket intakes. The difference would probably be better airflow due to the filter and intake design. Open type filters would have more surface area than the stock airbox and the filter itself would allow for better airflow but probably sacrificing filtration.

I used to have K&N open type intake on my older car and I had to frequently clean the MAF sensor. I did get better mileage and better airflow.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
That's not correct. Cold air is denser and the engine will draw in a greater mass of air.
The factory already provides a cold air intake. Before you can say the engine will "suck" (technically not correct) a greater mass of air through a K&N you'd need to know the flow characteristics of the stock filter, or any paper filter, to compare the two. You're assuming the paper filter is like closing one nostril, but the K&N is like breathing through both nostrils.

If the K&N does flow more air with the same square inches of filter media then the media will have to be more porous = more dirt.

K&N is making the claims, let them provide the test results. I've only seen a very few K&N examples of large CID engines getting more HP, then usually at very high RPMs.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I dont think air temps would differ by much when using aftermarket intakes. The difference would probably be better airflow due to the filter and intake design.
Aftermarket intakes that sacrifice cold air for under hood filter usually flow better because of the intake design that helps with laminar flow, but they are pulling hot under hood air which is less dense.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Checked around and didn't see any free-flow air filter kits of the newer models. I guess the earlier models didn't sell too well. No point in developing a product that no one will buy.

So, if you want a freer flowing intake system, build your own.

Not too sure how closely related the earlier YF intake kits are to the current one, but it may possible to adapt it.

The other option is to offer your car for testing. Contact the filter manufacturers and see if they can develop one for you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sonatas aren't exactly cars that everyone is buying aftermarket stuff for. Only K&N sell a washable filter for the car. I got an AEM washable one for my Elantra but they don't even make one for the 2015+ Sonata 2.4.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sonatas aren't exactly cars that everyone is buying aftermarket stuff for. Only K&N sell a washable filter for the car. I got an AEM washable one for my Elantra but they don't even make one for the 2015+ Sonata 2.4.
How is the AEM filter? I was contemplating on the AEM intake before but decided to keep the stock.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts