Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my searching previous discussions on here, it seems that these are not incredibly popular. But its usually one of the first simple mods I do to any of my cars...and the family wagon is no exception haha.

Of course, with no direct plug and play CAIs available for the LM, I went ahead and just constructed my own on the cheap...

I went with 2" piping because that is all I had off hand and 3" seemed too big anyhow for this straight shot from the fender to the throttle body. The filter is a stock paper filter from a 3rd Gen Prelude. A fine substitute until my extra AEM dryflow can get cleaned up and ready for service.

I didn't do this for performance so much as I did for the sound of an opened up, non resonated, smooth flowing intake. :D

Although with the piping being 2" and straight (save for the single bend), I don't think low end torque has been effected at all. Can't say if it's any better (I feel like it is but you know how accurate the butt dyno is), but it defintiely isnt worse.

After driving around for a day, I opened up the hood and touched the piping to see if it was absorbing heat from the radiator or engine. Cool the touch! And touching the pleated paper on the filter it was seriously cold to the touch...mission accomplished! :cool:

Now I just want to add an additional layer of splash shielding blow the filer to protect it just a little bit more from water. It doesn't go very low into the filter as you can see from the last pic. No lower than the top of the fog light cover.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I only used what I had lying around lol...standard 2" size ABS pipe with same sized 90 degree bend. Yeah the TB seems to be about 2.5". From what I read about building intakes in general, our 2.4L four cylinder doesnt necessarily need a 3"-4" pipe. But rather, but having a 2"-2.5" pipe with as few bends as possible, the air can actually gain some velocity and "shoot" into the throttle body (for lack of a better phrase on my part right now). More displacement of course would necessitate more, faster air. This is why going to big of a pipe can lose you some low end torque but really start to scream up top. Since I don't plan to spend a lot of time at high RPMs on the Tucson, I thought it was a fair trade off....and again, the price was right! :lol:

And there seems to be plenty of air from the location, I think. Especially considering the stock intake pulls air through a like 8"x2" scoop like opening in front of the radiator. Its amazing all of the hoops air has to jump through to finally get to our throttle body on the sock piping lol...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't noticed much difference in gas mileage one way or the other, but low end toque seems to be a bit more snappy. Of course that observation is purely subjective lol (butt dyno).

Even with no change, I like the audible roar that I get on hard acceleration. Will go great with the exhaust I plan to put on it in the future :)

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I haven't noticed much difference in gas mileage one way or the other
you won't really, if you were to take long term numbers it would go down a hair.

more air into engine means your ECU adds more fuel to get the right mixture. more air/fuel mixture = more power. the idea of a CAI adding fuel mileage is nonsense. less restriction will help a tiny bit, but pales in comparison to the extra fuel added.

you won't really notice a difference because the extra power is usually somewhere in the range of 5% give or take for a CAI. not bad for a cheap mod :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not really...I unfortunately had to break the two rivet-like plastic things to remove the air scoop that goes over the radiator. Other than that it was a couple 10mm bolts and some wriggling stuff around. Pretty standard fare.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would not have used piping smaller than the throttle body.
That 90 degree bend is way too tight for good flow.
You need a larger radius bend, and they have them in the plumbing section of most hardware stores.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Battery wasn't touched at all.

And it works fine for free :) I'm not going to be continuously running this thing at high side of the tach and the velocity gained from the pipe diameter seems fairly adequate given the short travel distance, filter area, and engine CCs.

Plus the 90 degree bend is the only bend that would put the filter at an appropriate angle into the wheel well. I also tried 45* and 22*....they were no go's. Might as well have used just a straight pipe if I were to use those.

Flow seems fine :shrug:

·
Registered
27 Posts
The wide radius would have started back further is all, and would end lower so you just trim in to length.
Gettin old and it's past my bed time!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am open to suggestions on a specific elbow radius :)
Specific is irrelevant as you get what they have as far as PVC pipe is concerned.
It's like the difference between a 90 degree turn at an intersection, and a long sweeping turn on a freeway.
One slows you down, one does not.
That sharp 90 degree turn on the intake (like the left one) slows the air flow to make the turn.
The right, wide radius pipe, will flow better, and since there is little hp to be gained by this step alone, every little bit helps.
It's like headers, on their own not much to be gained, but add upgrades to the full exhaust system, compression, cam, intake, EFI tuning, ETC, then those small steps get larger.

Attachments

·
Registered
838 Posts
Specific is irrelevant as you get what they have as far as PVC pipe is concerned.
It's like the difference between a 90 degree turn at an intersection, and a long sweeping turn on a freeway.
One slows you down, one does not.
That sharp 90 degree turn on the intake (like the left one) slows the air flow to make the turn.
The right, wide radius pipe, will flow better, and since there is little hp to be gained by this step alone, every little bit helps.
It's like headers, on their own not much to be gained, but add upgrades to the full exhaust system, compression, cam, intake, EFI tuning, ETC, then those small steps get larger.
From a pipefitters point of view, one is a short radius elbow, the other is a long radius elbow. By the way, not every material, PVC, ABS, copper, steel, galvanized, is made in both options.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its ABS.

But PVC is not bad if you are referring to the myth about temp related fumes. I did some pretty extensive research on this a few years ago.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Doh! Hit reply too soon....

I realize it is hard to tell in my pics, but the 90 degree elbow I used is equivalnet to the one you suggested. I'll see if I can dig up an extra one I have lying around to compare it to one with a much sharper bend (like the one you pictured on the left)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bumping up an old Thread.

So what did you put in between the pipe and the throttle body? I am contemplating on doing this as I have noticed that the OEM rubber hose on my2013 Tucson has become a bit stiff and perhaps is in need of replacement, 1 or 2 years from now. The OEM part for the rubber hose is around CAD $190. So, doing this will be a lot more cost-efficient than buying the OEM rubber hose. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
In my searching previous discussions on here, it seems that these are not incredibly popular. But its usually one of the first simple mods I do to any of my cars...and the family wagon is no exception haha.

Of course, with no direct plug and play CAIs available for the LM, I went ahead and just constructed my own on the cheap...

I went with 2" piping because that is all I had off hand and 3" seemed too big anyhow for this straight shot from the fender to the throttle body. The filter is a stock paper filter from a 3rd Gen Prelude. A fine substitute until my extra AEM dryflow can get cleaned up and ready for service.

I didn't do this for performance so much as I did for the sound of an opened up, non resonated, smooth flowing intake. :D

Although with the piping being 2" and straight (save for the single bend), I don't think low end torque has been effected at all. Can't say if it's any better (I feel like it is but you know how accurate the butt dyno is), but it defintiely isnt worse.

After driving around for a day, I opened up the hood and touched the piping to see if it was absorbing heat from the radiator or engine. Cool the touch! And touching the pleated paper on the filter it was seriously cold to the touch...mission accomplished! :cool:

Now I just want to add an additional layer of splash shielding blow the filer to protect it just a little bit more from water. It doesn't go very low into the filter as you can see from the last pic. No lower than the top of the fog light cover.
With the OEM air intake components being removed, it is so much easy to service the transmission; drain and refill the fluid, the AT fluid refill inlet is right under the plastic air intake piece.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts