Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to take my 7 month old i20 in to the dealer today. For a couple of weeks the engine management light has flashed for a few seconds when going down a steep hill then gone off. On the way to the dealer the light flashed again but this time on a flat road. Car is running ok.

They've said they've found coke in the throttle body which is a known fault to them as they've had a few other cars with same thing brought in since February, but they don't know how to sort it because Hyundai haven't yet got back to them.
I've been warned I may experience power loss whilst the light flashes which may get worse, but the car is still ok to drive.
Has anyone else had the same problem diagnosed or had any other information?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
QUOTE (Sare @ Apr 29 2010, 05:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317970
Had to take my 7 month old i20 in to the dealer today. For a couple of weeks the engine management light has flashed for a few seconds when going down a steep hill then gone off. On the way to the dealer the light flashed again but this time on a flat road. Car is running ok.

They've said they've found coke in the throttle body which is a known fault to them as they've had a few other cars with same thing brought in since February, but they don't know how to sort it because Hyundai haven't yet got back to them.
I've been warned I may experience power loss whilst the light flashes which may get worse, but the car is still ok to drive.
Hi and :00000732: to the forums

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (Sare @ Apr 29 2010, 11:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317970

Hi Sare,

My i20 malfuntion light flashes and when it does there is a deffinate loss of power and vibration to the engine. The dealership said there is a problem with a cylinder. They've checked the plug,lead and coil and have concluded that there is a fault with the engine valve, the mecanhic told me weak valve springs. This is booked in for a strip down next week

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi Sare,

I've had exactly the same problem you describe.

Initially, after approximately 6 months worth of ownership from new( 1.25 I20 5d Classic) the EMS light began to flash intermittently whilst motoring on steep gradients and eventually, the light became constantly lit under all driving conditions.

Very occasionally, and whilst the engine was still relatively cold, after climbing a steep hill and stopping in the middle of the road to perform a right turn, the engine would stall completely. The engine becomes noticeably 'rough' when climbing a hill on high revs. and the fall off in power becomes evident.

The garage diagnosed a problem with the No. 1 cylinder and repaced a seemingly faulty (?) plug lead with a new one.

The illuminating EMS light disappeared for all of one week!!

I returned to the garage and they now say the problem is much more fundamental. They too have now tentatively proposed remedial work involving replacing all the valve springs on the engine.

Apparently, the particular garage involved, reports the symptoms onto a Hyundai global web-site and then they just sit back and wait for appropriate feedback on what to do next.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi glynno and :00000732: to the forums.

Be sure to post up any relevant information you may get from your dealer/mechanic :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts