Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok laugh away but there was a dime that had dropped into the recessed shifter hole in my 2009 Hyundai Sonata 3.3L and after I shifted it somehow got swallowed up into whatever the hecks down there. Result is, the shift out of park sometimes sticks a bit (its not the brake light sensor) and when it does come out of park ok, it can be a slight B---- shifting into the other gears. It doesn't feel like a car thing, but a "my dime is down there jamming up the shifting thing."

Is there a simple way of getting it out and, if not, how do I get out out? I'm not a car guy but i can follow instructions and have tools; and, worst case, a "buddy" is a car guy, but he's an idiot savant with cr*p social skills and Id rather use him as a last resort.

Thanks,
The King of Unintended Consequences,
Sam

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
887 Posts
You will have to remove the entire center console to actually get to it properly.

- Put the Car in N. *Make sure you block the wheels so you don't roll! Pull up hard on the shifter knob (it will pop off, takes a good amount of force. You won't break it)
- With your plastic pry tool remove the left and right side trim pieces (center console cubby hole the spring loaded door below your heater controls)
- With the pry tool remove the trim cover (remove the attached wire) over the shifter
- Remove the screws
- Slide passenger and drivers seat forward, there is a screw on the main armrest console on both sides remove them from the rear of the car
- Open the arm rest console to get to the big storage compartment remove the square carpet from the bottom and remove the two bolts
- Pull up on the Ebrake handle
- Now remove the center console

Now you can remove the shifter and get that dime out. Should be straight forward without instructions to remove it if need be.

Have fun :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
can't be better explained than what Sparkman said. Its actually pretty easy and straight forward if you start doing it.
No need to be a car guy to do this kind of things

Reactions: beefcake2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will have to remove the entire center console to actually get to it properly.

- Put the Car in N. *Make sure you block the wheels so you don't roll! Pull up hard on the shifter knob (it will pop off, takes a good amount of force. You won't break it)
- With your plastic pry tool remove the left and right side trim pieces (center console cubby hole the spring loaded door below your heater controls)
- With the pry tool remove the trim cover (remove the attached wire) over the shifter
- Remove the screws
- Slide passenger and drivers seat forward, there is a screw on the main armrest console on both sides remove them from the rear of the car
- Open the arm rest console to get to the big storage compartment remove the square carpet from the bottom and remove the two bolts
- Pull up on the Ebrake handle
- Now remove the center console

Now you can remove the shifter and get that dime out. Should be straight forward without instructions to remove it if need be.

Have fun :)
Im sure you already know this, but you're awesome. Thanks for these easy to understand instructions, just gotta clear out the back seat now lol. I'll post results, should be a couple days. ... thank god I've another car.

BC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can't be better explained than what Sparkman said. Its actually pretty easy and straight forward if you start doing it.
No need to be a car guy to do this kind of things
Thanks for the encouragement. Will post results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts