Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I do an online search I get cross models... I know d2 makes a specific set but I'm not looking to drop a grand on my daily driver (to and from work) for 2 inch drop

When I search 08 accent coilovers I get
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2011-2015
Hyundai veloster 2012-2017
Or the Accent 2012-2017...

Will any of these work on the 06-11?
What kind of modification do you suppose would be needed to make then work if not?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Every time I do an online search I get cross models... I know d2 makes a specific set but I'm not looking to drop a grand on my daily driver (to and from work) for 2 inch drop

When I search 08 accent coilovers I get
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2011-2015
Hyundai veloster 2012-2017
Or the Accent 2012-2017...

Will any of these work on the 06-11?
What kind of modification do you suppose would be needed to make then work if not?
A couple of things, the 2012-17 Accent suspension is different so would not work, the rear struts would be too short, the Gen Coupe has independent rear suspension (macstrut all the way around I believe) so that would not work either. I’m not 100% sure about the Veloster, but I would imagine it would also be independant in the rear which means it wouldn’t work.

The thing about suspension is that it is made specifically for a certain vehicle, and there are a lot of calculations, angles, measurements, etc that go into making the right part for the right car. If you want to then modify parts for another car to fit on your car, there are so many different things to consider, with the biggest question being, can you do it safely? (Not saying that in a negative way, just something to consider)

With all that being said, I’m on D2’s and love the way my car rides now. I’m about 1.5 inches lower in the front and about 2 inches lower in the rear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not all suspension parts are made vehicle specific... when referring to suspension in the since of lowering ie replacing struts and springs, the angles change regardless which is why cast and toe usually need to be adjusted...
I'm not referring to changing or modifying the upper or lower control arm, trailing arms, or mounting points... I was referring to the type of mounting points ie 2 or 3 bolt or a bolt thru mount type...

A strut and spring is a strut and spring regardless, the only things to consider is the wieght capacity, the spring rate, and strut length...
If the only difference in the spring and strut is that the oe struts mounting type is a 35mm 2 bolt top mount and that the one I'm installing is a 30mm 2 bolt top mount.. I can easily make a bracket...

·
Registered
984 Posts
Not all suspension parts are made vehicle specific... when referring to suspension in the since of lowering ie replacing struts and springs, the angles change regardless which is why cast and toe usually need to be adjusted...
I'm not referring to changing or modifying the upper or lower control arm, trailing arms, or mounting points... I was referring to the type of mounting points ie 2 or 3 bolt or a bolt thru mount type...

A strut and spring is a strut and spring regardless, the only things to consider is the wieght capacity, the spring rate, and strut length...
If the only difference in the spring and strut is that the oe struts mounting type is a 35mm 2 bolt top mount and that the one I'm installing is a 30mm 2 bolt top mount.. I can easily make a bracket...
I’m not sure what suspension is not made to be vehicle specific, but you’re correct that some of the modifications may be feasible if you are an experienced fabricator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Struts are not vehicle specific... the same strut can be used for multiple vehicles... do you know how many struts would have to be made to cover every type of car, truck, van, and suv if cross use wasn't a factor... manufacturers generally use what they have and every couple generations they change something... cars are built around suspensions, suspensions arent built around cars... js

·
Registered
2 Posts
Veloster 12’-17’ is same rear suspension as Hyundai Elantra. Cross ref rear shock absorber as well. Same part. Not independent. At least in the US and CA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Scotty726
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing