Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the wife did it again... spilled a cup of coffee into the shifter. Had milk and all... OOPS! Now the tranny will not shift up and even the manual side is malfunctioning. Any ideas out there? :bwekk:

This is an 06 V6 with about 85K miles. Hope this ain't expensive... bet this won't go under the powertrain warranty... :liebe011:

Ray

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (raysilvers @ May 14 2010, 10:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322975
Well, the wife did it again... spilled a cup of coffee into the shifter. Had milk and all... OOPS! Now the tranny will not shift up and even the manual side is malfunctioning. Any ideas out there? :bwekk:

This is an 06 V6 with about 85K miles. Hope this ain't expensive... bet this won't go under the powertrain warranty... :liebe011:

Ray
I really don't know what to do. I might try opening the shifter and cleaning it out, maybe electronics cleaner, brake cleaner, I don't know what is safe or what would work. Compressed air? It may clear up in a few days after drying who knows.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Hey Ray glad to see you still in the family! If this happened to me I'd 1st buy the wife a "non-spill" mug and a scooter to drive.

Being the reasonable person I'm sure you are I'd buy some "Lectro-Clean". I used this stuff on everything back in the 80's in the San Gabriel mountains while on a construction project. I liked it soo much I keep a can around......just in case somebodies wifes scooter breaks down, needs a ride and spills coffee in my car.

Don't take anything apart yet just spray this stuff down in the area and work the shifter back and forth and side to side. May take a couple of shots but I'm sure it will help. Works on orange juice and vodka BTW....don't ask.

...just an after thought....what's your tranny fluid look like? :whistling:

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Why they have no 'Grounds' to deny your Warranty claim. :grin: This is a sticky situation :p

Did that to a $1000 Dell Computer that Madderhatter had me buy. Told me I didn't need the accident protection plan.

He said I needed Windows Vista. Vista Home Premium. Now I want to sue windows, and Jerry too! :460:

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
You need to tell your wife to drink it black when driving.

Or maybe it's time to tell the wife to just go, leave.

It reminds me of a jetliner crash many years ago, that turned out to be the result of the stewardess (that's how they called them in those days) serving coffee to the pilots and spilling some on the center panel instruments....

....I guess I ain't much help with this, am I. :whistling:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Everything in the shifter is mechanical.... other than the "Sport Mode" switch,, try opening the console, and unplug the connector there, though it may disconnect the shifter lock solenoid, and try drive it again..

I'd be getting the console apart and getting the liquid contained in event of other modules in vicinity.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I think the only thing that's electrical in there is the lights/leds and the switch that tells the tranny whether the shifter's in auto or manual. Maybe the manual up/down shift has a switch, too. It's probably possible for a tech to disassemble the shifter and replace the switches, if they're available. If not, the whole shifter will have to come out. I wouldn't spray anything unless the center console were removed and I could see where the spray was going. Any switches are most likely to be sealed and enclosed, though obviously they're not water/coffeeproof.

Don't try to do this yourself unless you're comfortable removing the center console.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis the Mennis @ May 15 2010, 06:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323214
I think the only thing that's electrical in there is the lights/leds and the switch that tells the tranny whether the shifter's in auto or manual.
Correct on the illumination... the switch is for SPORT MODE, it tells the PCM/TCM if shifter is in P-R-N-D or SPORT MODE,, the tranny is stupid, it only does what it is told by PCM/TCM

Maybe the manual up/down shift has a switch, too.
That's part of the SPORT MODE switch at shifter

It's probably possible for a tech to disassemble the shifter and replace the switches, if they're available.
I've replace a SPORT MODE switch, don't recall which chassis though, been a long time ago

If not, the whole shifter will have to come out.
The shifter will have to come out any way for service to the switch

I wouldn't spray anything unless the center console were removed and I could see where the spray was going. Any switches are most likely to be sealed and enclosed, though obviously they're not water/coffeeproof.

Don't try to do this yourself unless you're comfortable removing the center console.

I would venture remove the top portion, and spray/pour some Isopropyl alcohol in there and hope for best at removing the conductive properties of said coffee and evaporating cleanly... worth a shot, 16oz bottle of 91% is what, $1 at WAL-MART ?? Pack a couple towels in to mop up the overflow :thumbsup:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (craigbrooks @ May 14 2010, 11:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322995
Hey Ray glad to see you still in the family! If this happened to me I'd 1st buy the wife a "non-spill" mug and a scooter to drive.

Being the reasonable person I'm sure you are I'd buy some "Lectro-Clean". I used this stuff on everything back in the 80's in the San Gabriel mountains while on a construction project. I liked it soo much I keep a can around......just in case somebodies wifes scooter breaks down, needs a ride and spills coffee in my car.

Don't take anything apart yet just spray this stuff down in the area and work the shifter back and forth and side to side. May take a couple of shots but I'm sure it will help. Works on orange juice and vodka BTW....don't ask.

...just an after thought....what's your tranny fluid look like? :whistling:
Like new... just had a flush and refill. It was time so the dealer cleaned it out and had it working great. It finally dried out and started shifting ok. Way too much fun... the dealer also did the brakes and now there is a bunch of noise coming out of the fronts. Sigh... off the the dealer again.

Ray

1 - 12 of 12 Posts