Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'12 Sonata ~48K miles, ECS light on, getting code c1260 - Steering angle sensor abnormal. Calibration shows ok. Is there anything beyond replacing angle sensor itself that can be done to fix this? CarX told me it would be about $1200 - $1500 (parts + labor) but it seems excessive based on my google search of what it takes to replace it. Steering coupler replaced last year, replaced brake switch myself before I knew what the code was but ECS still on with C1260. Code reset did not take.

Thx!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,919 Posts
You say your ECS light is on, but I assume you mean ESC/ESP? Hyundai and their acronyms.

AFAIK, the steering angle sensor is an internal component within the electric power steering system, so to replace the sensor your supposed to replace the complete steering column/MDPS assembly. $1200-1500 would probably be about right if that's the case. But steering angle sensor data is usually used by both the ESC and the MDPS. If the sensor itself is at fault wouldn't that have an effect on the steering too?

Did the garage try to recalibrate the sensor? I think that's the first logical step to take regardless of what the calibration status shows. I think it would also be worth comparing the sensor output in the ESC and the MDPS data lists to see if they match. Perhaps there's a problem with the data link between the two modules and the ESC is getting a corrupt signal....just a thought.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Using a scanner that fully supports enhanced data. Clear fault code, perform ASP Steering calibration. verify be viewing live data, car running rotate steering wheel steady all the way, bank to bank. It should be nice and smooth graphing. if it still thrown fault, might be possible logic improvement available? if not then it needs MDPS system replacement.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Autospark and Smoke - thanks for input. I will have them calibrate the sensor since my scanner (Launch Creader VII +) does not support it. I posted on this forum because they suggested I do alignment first (car tracks straight AND tires wear evenly too!) AND if this does not fix the issue I will need to replace the sensor (for ~$1,200 - $1,500). I am not sure if it is SOP to do ASP calibration as part of wheel alignment... I am glad this forum has such knowledgable and helpful members as you two. I owe you a cookie!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Autospark and Smoke - thanks for input. I will have them calibrate the sensor since my scanner (Launch Creader VII +) does not support it. I posted on this forum because they suggested I do alignment first (car tracks straight AND tires wear evenly too!) AND if this does not fix the issue I will need to replace the sensor (for ~$1,200 - $1,500). I am not sure if it is SOP to do ASP calibration as part of wheel alignment... I am glad this forum has such knowledgable and helpful members as you two. I owe you a cookie!
No problem. And yes it's SOP to do 0 set calibration "ASP" after alignment. Only alignment angle that could affect the sensor is toe as camber and caster are fixed on our cars. If it's going straight and wear is good then just so the asp calibration.

Reactions: rafciu123

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I vaguely remember equivalent issues with bad clock spring.... and its cheaper too.

Verify your VIN for all recalls at the Hyundai website.

Is this vehicle a flood or accident victim? Otherwise, might be time to vehicle salvage yards for column.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem. And yes it's SOP to do 0 set calibration "ASP" after alignment. Only alignment angle that could affect the sensor is toe as camber and caster are fixed on our cars. If it's going straight and wear is good then just so the asp calibration.
Confirmed now: sensor calibration resolved the issue. Thanks Smoke and Autospark!

CarX said they don't do Sensor Calibration as part of alignment process and alignment + sensor calibration cost total of $176.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Confirmed now: sensor calibration resolved the issue. Thanks Smoke and Autospark!

CarX said they don't do Sensor Calibration as part of alignment process and alignment + sensor calibration cost total of $176.
It takes no more than 5 minutes to do it after an alignment. I'd suggest finding another shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having the same issue with my 2010. My mechanic recommended replacing the clock spring. But everything I’ve read makes it sound like it’s the sensor. Can the clock spring affect the ESC?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts