Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get the impression from some posts from well respected, knowledgeable people on this forum that the 3.5L engine is inferior to the earlier 3.3L.

However, I have not been able to find any confirmation, or even any posts by searching 3.5L engine problems.

I have a 2007 3.3L Limited AWD with 277,000km. (172,000mi.) and am hoping it will last another 5 years to 400,000km. (250,000mi.).

I am really trying to avoid Santa Fe's 2013 and newer, because I don't want turbo and I am used to the power of the 3.3L and don't think the 2.4L will do the job to my satisfaction.

If I could feel comfortable with the 3.5L, I could move up 5 years and still avoid turbo and 2.4L.

So, could those of you who have experience with the 3.5L engine please let me know if my perception has any basis in fact?

Also, is the 3.5L a direct injection engine as opposed to the common rail in the 3.3L?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I get the impression from some posts from well respected, knowledgeable people on this forum that the 3.5L engine is inferior to the earlier 3.3L.
3.5 not been a "problem" engine,, though has a few quirks over the 3.3

However, I have not been able to find any confirmation, or even any posts by searching 3.5L engine problems.
3.5 -> CVVT on intake and exhaust,, 3.3 is only intake
3.5 oil filter concern, use only OE Hyundai

3.5 oil leak from aged oil pressure switch,, in valley under intake

3.5 intake runner performance,, lower intake strips teeth on shaft for flaps,, new lower intake time

3.5 CVVT knock at cold start, I do 4 CVVT, chains, tensioners,,, new intake CVVT requires new intake cam (x2)

I have a 2007 3.3L Limited AWD with 277,000km. (172,000mi.) and am hoping it will last another 5 years to 400,000km. (250,000mi.).
Keep up with clean fluids all time

I am really trying to avoid Santa Fe's 2013 and newer, because I don't want turbo and I am used to the power of the 3.3L and don't think the 2.4L will do the job to my satisfaction.

If I could feel comfortable with the 3.5L, I could move up 5 years and still avoid turbo and 2.4L.

So, could those of you who have experience with the 3.5L engine please let me know if my perception has any basis in fact?

Also, is the 3.5L a direct injection engine as opposed to the common rail in the 3.3L?
3.5 is std port fuel, same as 3.3

Thanks in advance.

Regards.
3.5 does not seem to oil leak from front cover and cam cover like the 3.3,,

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sbr711:

Thanks once again for your help and the excellent reply to my questions.

I use only OEM oil filters, so that is not a problem

I know about the oil switch leak, but that does not seem to be an expensive or complicated fix.

Intake runner performance: Is new lower intake complicated or expensive?

CVVT knock at cold start: New intake cam x2 sure sounds scary. Complicated and expensive?

Thanks for the tip on the fluids. I am religiously attending to those.

Regarding the oil change debate: I have changed with quality regular oil at 12,000km. (7,500mi.) as per manual with OEM filter from the start. Still no oil burning and no need to add between oil changes, so this seems to be proven by experience.

Had my front valve cover gasket replaced N/C at the dealer twice. First time the alternator was replaced as well. Second time, not long and not too many miles later, they must have gotten the new fix information, because that fix has lasted over two years and no sign of a problem.

Thanks again.

Regards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts