Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 4 year-old Santa Fe with 42k miles on clock. Clutch had to be replaced (under warranty) at 18k miles. Now being told that Clutch going to need to be replaced soon, and it will be classed as "wear and tear", and will not covered under warranty. Does that sound right?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Do you tow with it?

Seems excessive either way. I'm assuming the original clutch was replaced as a result of a manufacturing defect as the clutch is typically excluded from manufacturer's warranty as a wear and tear item.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
With proper driving technique a clutch should last much longer than that.

I keep hearing of Hyundais with improper clutch adjustments that cause accelerated wear. Perhaps somebody with more knowledge can expand on this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for answering. No, I've never towed anything with my santa fe. They're going to contact Hyundai to request the Flywheel is replaced under warranty. They're saying the clutch won't need replacing yet, but will need to be done soon. They're working on my car at the moment (replacing a short engine due to a cracked piston), and they're telling me it would make sense to do the clutch now because the labour costs will be minimal and the parts will be £700.

I've politely declined their "kind" offer at the moment (although I wasn't as polite as I'm usually am - they've had the car for over a month with the initial engine/cracked piston problem, and I'm running out of patience with them!).

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wow, a month! Fingers crossed I don't need any warranty work as I'd be stuffed without the car!

There is definitely sense in replacing the clutch if it is likely to require replacement shortly anyway, but I'd be keen to understand why the clutch needs replacement. The flywheel failed in my CRV and took the clutch with it, both had to be replaced - so if they are replacing the flywheel as part of a warranty claim, I don't see that's its unreasonable to argue the clutch is a related failiure and should also be covered.

£700 is steep for parts alone - are all associated parts being checked for alignment to eliminate the recurrent problem? As Don67 there's plenty of online dsicussion about failed Hyundai clutches as a result of faulty alignment.

When I bought my car I had a chat with the Service Manager, and he quoted verbally that Hyundai wouldn't charge half of what Honda charged (£2,300) for a replacement DMF+clutch, and as the DMF is the more expensive component, I think their quote for the clutch is high. I'll happily call my mate who works in a dealer to double check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.