Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Today while doing a little drive with the car suddenly the clutch stayed stuck to the floor. :confused:
I could release the gear shifter from first gear to neutral, but the pedal stayed floored.
I then could release the pedal by pulling with my foot upward.
But then it was stuck in the upward position. No go.
Luckily I was only a kilometer from home, so I towed the car very gently (5 kmh) with another 4WD I have back home (yes, I know, you should not tow a 4WD, but what else could I do ?)
I then got underneath the car and hood, locating the clutch cylinders.
To my surprise I could move the release cylinder at the clutch housing by hand, so it wasn´t stuck. Then I noticed, also the clutch pedal was released and could move again in normal function. :confused::)
The clutch functioned normally again.
Reading through various threads about stuck clutches I now suspect my hydraulic fluid is dirty, maybe cluthering the motion through the pipes and valves. Also I noticed the fluid level in the reservoir was a bit low, so I added some.
But I think the time has come to drain the hydraulic fluid and refill with new.
My question, does anyone know how much fluid is going to be needed for a refill ?
Half a liter? A liter, more?
Thanks for a reply.
Greets,
Paul

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Not familiar with a diesel Hyundai ; but I have played with hydraulic clutches a few times.

Between the master cyclinder reservoir the flex hose section going to the slave cyclinder mounted on the tranny, shouldn't be much volume.
Approx half a liter might fill it ; but you need to flush and bleed air out of system to get it functioning again. Most vehicles use standard dot 3 in the clutch hydraulics , regular brake fluid, as I'm sure you already know.

Hopefully seals are good enough; sealed system low level could be start of something.
Some of the diesels use a weird double clutch set up ; search on the forum for info.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.
As I mentioned in the post, the clutch after this now seemingly little misshap was fully functional again, so I suppose it only got temporarily somehow obstructed.
I did not need to bleed anything. Only the movement of the piston of the slave cylinder was enough. It did surprise me however how easy it was moving. Hardly any efford, although I suppose it should push the clutch inside with all its springs etc.
I now can only imagine the master cylinder got stuck, because it is connected to the clutch pedal which was held down and up.
But I cannot see how it was possible to move that slave piston so easily, other than the actual clutch inside also was stuck engaged.
Also I could not find any evidence of oil leaking out somewhere.
So I am still a bit puzzled what happened.
I did fill up the oil reservoir, but it wasn't yet at the MIN sign, only slightly above. I will check that level the coming days.
I now bought half a liter of DOT4, so maybe it is enough. Of course it also is linked to the brake lines and brake callipers etc. but I am willing to let them as they are for now. There is or wasn't any issue with the brakes.
And no, there isn't any use of double clutching. I think that's only with large trucks with unsynchronized gears.
Greets,
Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts