Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a friends 01 Tiburon 5 speed which needed a new clutch. Ive never dealt with a "pull style" clutch before. Everything seemed straight forward upon installation and once the transmission was in place I reinstalled the clutch fork lever and seated the throw out bearing to the pressure plate. What's causing me problems is the hydraulics. The slave cylinder is completely engaged (pushed out) and the pedal will not budge, it's stiff. I can't compress the slave cylinder by hand.

What's most confusing is that when I mount the slave to the transmission the clevis lines up perfectly with the clutch fork lever and everything installs as normal. You'd think if the hydraulics were fully engaged that the slave pin/clevis would extend further than the clutch fork lever.

Any advise? I am completely confused. Tomorrow I am considering opening the bleeder on the slave to see if i can compress it.

I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (chillin014 @ Oct 9 2010, 08:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362325
I'm working on a friends 01 Tiburon 5 speed which needed a new clutch. Ive never dealt with a "pull style" clutch before. Everything seemed straight forward upon installation and once the transmission was in place I reinstalled the clutch fork lever and seated the throw out bearing to the pressure plate. What's causing me problems is the hydraulics. The slave cylinder is completely engaged (pushed out) and the pedal will not budge, it's stiff. I can't compress the slave cylinder by hand.

What's most confusing is that when I mount the slave to the transmission the clevis lines up perfectly with the clutch fork lever and everything installs as normal. You'd think if the hydraulics were fully engaged that the slave pin/clevis would extend further than the clutch fork lever.

Any advise? I am completely confused. Tomorrow I am considering opening the bleeder on the slave to see if i can compress it.

I appreciate any help.

Quick easy thing to do is remove the hydraulic line from the slave, look inside slave and you will see a black steel thing with small hole in it and a spring.......... take the restrictor and the spring and throw them away,,, throw them away like 6 month ago.

Re-assemble line to slave, and flush the release hydarulic system with new clean fluid and see if it work proper.. if not, then replace clutch master and slave with new parts. The old fluid and black mud goofed them up... had to do that to a couple in past.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the reply. Luckily I was able to figure it out. First of all, I didn't have the TOB seated all the way, it took more force and leverage with a screwdriver. Hopefully its seated flush.

Then I removed the bleeder screw completely from the slave and NO fluid came out, so something seemed wrong there. I think its old and gummed up like already stated. I was able to compress the slave cylinder and get everything moving/flowing again as normal however. So it all works properly now.

My only concern now is that the bearing is seated properly since it is being pulled on with every push of the pedal. Seems like it could be pulled loose and cause a big problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything back together but 3rd gear scratches every time. Not sure if that was a prior issue, it didnt seem like there was a way to screw up the cable reinstallation. Also couldnt tell if the clutch was slipping...but I'll hold off and break it in properly before I worry about that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.