Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions regarding the clutch and transmission in my 02 GLS. Basically, when I got the car, the pedal would just go to the floor. I managed to bleed it quite a bit and it is better but the fluid is black and it still doesn't have as much resistance as I am used to, do I need to flush all of the fluid? Also, the car will *sometimes* grind gears if I don't have the clutch pedal ALL THE WAY to the floor when I shift, I cannot tell if I have a bad clutch or if I am just too used to the old Hondas I used to have.

Reverse is a challenge. I will have to sometimes put it in first and then into reverse multiple times before it will go into reverse. It is sometimes very hard to get into reverse and also sometimes a little difficult to get into first and second. I don't hear any weird noises and the car doesn't really surge during acceleration except around 35 mph but I do have a bad MAP sensor and I know that can cause surging issues. Last time the car had a really bad surge is when the check engine light came on for the MAP sensor.

I just don't know if I need to bleed the system more, flush it, replace the master/slave cylinders or replace the clutch itself.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I would definitely flush all the old fluid out before replacing anything. How many miles on the trans fluid?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would definitely flush all the old fluid out before replacing anything. How many miles on the trans fluid?
I did a "clutch test" that I found online this morning a few times. Basically you put it in a higher gear like 2nd or 3rd and give it about 2000rpm and slowly let out the clutch, if the car dies then the clutch isn't slipping at least in that scenario. The car died all 3 times that I did the test. It doesn't have any issues taking off from a stop or shaking during shifts, the pedal just feels like crap.

As far as mileage, I have no idea. The car has 114k miles on the odometer. Previous owner said the transmission had been replaced, but he didn't give me much detail on that. How do I go about flushing it? Do I just open the bleeder valve and hand pump the clutch pedal?

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Open the bleeder and see if it will self drain. If it does let it run until clear fluid is coming out. Then close screw, pump pedal and hold down, open screw. Close screw, let pedal up. Repeat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts