Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I had my entire clutch system replaced at around 60k miles, which i thought was a little strange, but I did buy the car off a person, and I did have to learn how to drive a stick shift on it, which can be problematic, so I didn't think much of it. A few months or so later I had to get a friend to replace the slave cylinder on the clutch which was strange, and just last week my entire clutch crapped out on me again. The thing only has 80k miles on it! This time when it went out though the car was in gear, jerked suddenly and pulled itself out of gear, and now it won't even try to go in to gear. I can still depress the clutch just fine, but it doesn't do anything. :mad:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Apologies if I offend you, I have no idea of your mechanical ability here. If the engine is not running and you press the clutch can you select a gear?. When you press the clutch pedal down can you feel the pedal has resistance or weight on it? I mean does it just go to the floor easily without much effort? Your description sounds almost like a hydraulic failure, more info if you can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You mean I have to turn the car on?!?!?!

lol j/k!

Yes, the ignition is on when I try to put it in gear, but either way it doesn't really matter, when I depress the clutch pedal it feels the exact same as it always has, there is still tension in it, and i can still move the shifter in to its designated position, but nothing happens in the engine. It just won't go in to gear at all.

fyi: i was not offended, i just thought it was funny. :D

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hmmm, OK. Your symptoms are getting more confused, You can press the pedal down, you can select a gear, or at least move the shifter into the correct position, but when you release the pedal nothing happens, the clutch pedal feels normal in operation?

Are there any sort of mechanical grunching noises at any time?
Humour me with the next two, When it's in gear and the pedal is released does your speedo still indicate any speed? (looking for final dive failure)
If you put the car in gear, with the engine stopped, release the handbrake, can you push the car along ? (The engine should hold the car from being pushed, looking for mechanical problem through transmission)
Your initial comment about the transmission jerking out of gear then not driving again sounds more like a transmission / drive shaft failure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so the clutch does feel completely normal, but when i put it in to gear and let off the clutch it does make a strange noise, grunching maybe, and yes, the speedo did show about 5mph, and no putting it in gear did not stop the car from being pushed backwards.

It does seem very strange that the clutch feels completely normal, i can depress the pedal just fine, move the shifter in to the position and it feels like the clutch is engaging, but then it doesn't go forward when i push the gas it just revs like it's in neutral.

So when you say "final dive failure" that sounds really bad... how much money (about) might you say i was looking at to fix the thing (rough estimate is fine).
Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Sounds like the slave is gunked. You need to try a good clutch fluid bleeding before you try to replace the clutch. It's a $5 fix and not hard to do so long as you understand the procedure. And remove the little leaf valve from the slave and toss it in the trash.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when pushing on the clutch, no, but when i put it in gear and let off the clutch it made a weird noise. It wasn't like a grinding or a whirling, in fact, i can't really describe it, but it wasn't loud it was fairly quite and continuous until i depressed the clutch again, and then it stopped.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
kinda sounds like when my throw out bearing went out.
but you should try to a good clutch fluid and bleed the lines out before you try changing out anything on the clutch.

·
Registered
538 Posts
It's not the clutch, if the speedo still indicates speed the clutch and most of the transmission is still connected. With the engine stopped, hand brake on and rear wheels blocked climb underneath and see if you have broken a CV joint or DU joint on one of the drive shafts, there is one shaft on each side of the transmission going out to each front wheel hub, they should have rubber boots at each end protecting the joints and the outer joint should have no movement when you yank it by hand, the inner joint may feel to have slight movement. Your failure should be very obvious, something will be hanging out of place and or very loose. This is a fairly cheap fix, under $200 in Australia. If the drive shafts are OK you have failed something in the transmission final drive; ring gear, side gear, carrier bearing, transfer shaft or such, this would normally be a replace the transmission job unless you have access to cheap labour and a machine shop. Good Luck with it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
check your input shaft, also check your shifter cables, BOTH of them.

It could be the transmission as a whole.

Speaking from too much experience unfortunately.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My mechanic swore it was the clutch after continuous heckling about the comments made here and how I didn't think it was the clutch. So he ordered the parts, got them in, took the car apart and lo and behold, NOT the clutch! He says he thinks it's the input shaft or an output shaft of the transmission, and that is apparently going to be really expensive to fix. :(

·
Registered
538 Posts
It's hard finding mechanics that can think without a code reader these days, very sad. It may be cheaper and faster to drop in a second hand trans axle from a wreck, in Australia you can pick up a running second hand unit around $300-400, plus maybe a days labour to do it properly, half day if your in a hurry. Good luck. By the way, you can tell your mechanic that because the speedo still indicated speed without the car moving, this proves the broken bit is either the trans. output shaft or in the final reduction unit (differential).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts