Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving my 09 5-speed Sonata today, when at a light, my clutch went completely to the floor and wouldnt return to the upright position. I was able to get my toe under the pedal and pull it back up, when it finally had resistance back in it. I was able to continue driving, without any other problems. I have noticed that the pedal had been loose for the last few days, but never had this problem occur. It has 40000 miles on it, but the clutch engages like it should when the pedal is working.

Any suggestions as to what may be the cause of the problem? Anything I can do to fix it, or will it need to go into the shop? Is something like this covered under warantee? I am out of town in Indianapolis too, which really sucks as I don't wanna drive this thing back to St. louis this way.

Any help is appreciated!

Brian

·
Banned
873 Posts
i used to drive a 2003 civic sir 5speed hatchback, the clutch did the same thing but not just once a while like yours but like evry stop light, dead stop it did, i had to stick my foot under the clutch and pull it out, obvsiously the reason was the clutch/ clutch plates needed to be replaced.. but since you said you felt the pedal being lose, try tightening it and see if it does it again and than if it does than yea, your clutch is going

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Indeed. Warranty time.

Since you're on the road, the best thing you can do is bleed the clutch hydraulic system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (downhiller88 @ Jun 6 2010, 05:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330403
i used to drive a 2003 civic sir 5speed hatchback, the clutch did the same thing but not just once a while like yours but like evry stop light, dead stop it did, i had to stick my foot under the clutch and pull it out, obvsiously the reason was the clutch/ clutch plates needed to be replaced.. but since you said you felt the pedal being lose, try tightening it and see if it does it again and than if it does than yea, your clutch is going
How do I tighten it?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
QUOTE (downhiller88 @ Jun 6 2010, 05:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330403
I don't think that's right. The likelihood is the clutch plate and disk are fine, it's like brand new. His problem sounds more like the hydraulic system hanging up. Bleed the hydraulics.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Indy to Maryland Heights ... I drove that route many times. :grin:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
You guys are no help at all to this member. :whistling: Trefi stop by a Hyundai dealer before you head home and get this looked at and fixed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Definitely go to the dealer, but I sounds like a hydraulic problem. (Put on flame suit) I used to drive a 5 speed VW back in they day and it did the exact same thing. There WERE (talking about the VW here..not my Sonata) two hydraulic pistons connecting the clutch pedal to the clutch mechanism and one of them died. It caused my clutch pedal to go straight down and I had to pull it (some resistance from the hydraulics), and it was back to normal. No problems with the clutch engaging or anything. Eventually it got worse and I couldn't drive, so I replaced the part and bled the system.

If you car is new it could just be a leak in the line, air bubble, or low fluid. Any of those (or a dead cylinder) would cause a similar problem.

QUOTE (craigbrooks @ Jun 6 2010, 11:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330488
You guys are no help at all to this member. :whistling: Trefi stop by a Hyundai dealer before you head home and get this looked at and fixed.

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (craigbrooks @ Jun 6 2010, 11:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330488
We've already directed him to go to the dealer, check the fluid level. I don't see how you came to that conclusion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are having the same problem with our 2009 Sonata. Push the clutch in, it stays near the floor, and won't shift. Pump the clutch a couple of times, it starts to work. My wife and I are life long standard drivers, and have never had a problem like this. It is definitely hydraulic in nature. We need to start emailing Hyundai about the issue, and as for a permanent fix. This is not a "hardware" issue. Do a search on Sonata clutch problems, the same issue is showing up on many forums. Its time for them to come up with a fix.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Was brought up at school last week...

Couple of the people in class have replace clutch master cylinder already... It will not be on the dealer shelf, at worst 2-3 day out if not at region parts depot.

I think we had 1 recently at our place.... gots a 2003 w/100.000 on my rack with the slave puking fluid,, advising clutch master and slave as a set,, then I can drive car to see if clutch is any good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had clutch on my 09 Sonata (28k) did this today as I was down shifting going down hill. I stopped and the pedal wouldn't go back down. After calling dealer and Hyundai roadside, I started car up to roll down shoulder to shady spot (95 degrees); low and behold the cluth poped down and worked fine. VERY DISTRESSING WAS WHEN I CALLED THE SERVICE DEPT AT MY DEALER AND THEY SAID THAT THE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY ONLY HAD 12 MONTH/ 12,000 MILE WARRANTY; any word on this? My other stick shift cars wihich included 3 Subarus, Mazda and Mercury Tracer all got over 100k on the original clutch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sorry to bring this up again

Hi,
I have a similar problem with my EU spec 2.0L 2002 Sonata (Manual).....

Cutting a long story short:
If i use the clutch more than normal (say in heavy traffic), it eventually gets real tight and it seems like somethings going to pop somewhere. The pedal has stayed down a few times now and im gettin tired of it.

Since its an old car i didnt bother with the dealer as it's gonna cost me a fortune. So, I've had the fluid changed a couple of times, system bled, lines cleaned and there seems to be nothing wrong with any of the lines etc leading upto the cluth itself.

The mechanic wants to open her up and see clearly whats goin on but i want to check with you guys before he does, maybe somebody has another suggestion as to what the problem might be?

I'm guessin that i'll probably have to get a whole new clutch kit and that wont be cheap!

Thanks

·
Registered
467 Posts
VERY DISTRESSING WAS WHEN I CALLED THE SERVICE DEPT AT MY DEALER AND THEY SAID THAT THE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY ONLY HAD 12 MONTH/ 12,000 MILE WARRANTY; any word on this? My other stick shift cars wihich included 3 Subarus, Mazda and Mercury Tracer all got over 100k on the original clutch.
NOTE- this is just my understanding of the warranty. I'm not affiliated with Hyundai.

If that's true, then the 12k mile warranty would be the friction material, not the hydraulic system. The actual mechanical parts should be covered under your normal drive train warranty.

If you don't know how to drive a manual transmission and you wear out the clutch in 20k miles, they're not going to cover it under warranty for free. But, if the clutch breaks or somehow fails, then it should be covered.

It's the same as your brake system. If you wear out your brakes by riding them, it won't be covered under warranty. But if something actually fails in the brake system, it should be covered.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Hi,
I have a similar problem with my EU spec 2.0L 2002 Sonata (Manual).....

Cutting a long story short:
If i use the clutch more than normal (say in heavy traffic), it eventually gets real tight and it seems like somethings going to pop somewhere. The pedal has stayed down a few times now and im gettin tired of it.

Since its an old car i didnt bother with the dealer as it's gonna cost me a fortune. So, I've had the fluid changed a couple of times, system bled, lines cleaned and there seems to be nothing wrong with any of the lines etc leading upto the cluth itself.

The mechanic wants to open her up and see clearly whats goin on but i want to check with you guys before he does, maybe somebody has another suggestion as to what the problem might be?

I'm guessin that i'll probably have to get a whole new clutch kit and that wont be cheap!

Thanks
If the pedal is getting hung up, then it's in the hydraulics

Yeah, the real problem (as explained to me) is the check valve in the system that gets gunked up. It's either that or the slave or master is somehow bad.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Clutch master cylinder problem.... revised part released, I think I overheard it will sport a blue dot on it.

Something to do with internal piston travel and not returning.. We had 1 a few week ago for pedal issue.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Clutch master cylinder problem.... revised part released, I think I overheard it will sport a blue dot on it.

Something to do with internal piston travel and not returning.. We had 1 a few week ago for pedal issue.
SBR-
Any TSB on it? Would it be covered under the 10/100 powertrain. I'm at 4.75yrs/78k on my '07 GLS. Hasn't totally failed and stayed down but engagement area seems to move. pump it a couple times and it goes back to normal but some days feels like air in lines. I even pressure bled whole system once to get it back.

You also never got back to me on PM for Corolla :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have had same problem on a 09' manual Sonata, car now has way over 100,000 and clutch is still going strong. My brother who worked for Hyundai and I figured out the problem is from the fluid getting to hot. The system has some sort of auto bleeder valve that must also let off too high of pressure. Simply pumping pedal has always fixed problem which only occurs in hot weather after a quick trip into a store and a restart. We have never experienced this problem with our 06' manual Sonata so I believe if is caused by the routing of the tubing from master to the slave puck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts