Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again, one other problem I have and I think it may be due to lack of use is that when I am driving and push down the clutch to change gear sometimes the clutch pedal stays down but when it down that I quickly flick it down again with my foot and it comes back up to the normal position. The clutch travel feels fine for 100.000 Kms on the clock and the last owner says he had the clutch cylinder changed a few years ago. What are your thoughts? Could it be through lack of use or faulty cylinder installed from new, the air in the system etc etc. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well so far I have had mechanics tell me it could be. Slave cylinder, clutch spring inside clutch, new clutch and flywheel needed "1.800" euros, spring on the pedal, wrong liquid. Still getting in interesting reports from mechanics but none that can actually guarantee their work will solve the problem .......... Cant believe this is happening on a 4 x 4 with 103.000 kms on the clock

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sounds like the type of issue that you'll have to investigate to diagnose. Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, you can likely diagnose this on your own.

Sounds to me like a hydraulic pressure issue with the clutch. Starting point is to inspect the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinders for signs of leakage or broken seals. Clutch master should be visible from inside the vehicle, looking up under the dash area where the clutch pedal assembly connects. If you see brake fluid dripping down or wet spots in the carpet, then that's likely your issue. Otherwise, look for leaks around the slave cylinder (attached to the transmission's bell housing). If those look OK, try bleeding the clutch at the slave cylinder to remove any air in the system. Those cylinders are fairly cheap for that vehicle, so I'd replace them prior to removing the transmission itself to inspect the clutch and its components.

Mechanics can be frustrating, but unfortunately what they're saying isn't a lie. It's hard for them to diagnose this issue without getting into inspections and the replacement of parts. Just start with the cheapest ones first! Let me know if I can help...

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mike. My bother is over on holiday and is a Volvo mechanic in Scotland. He has just had a look at it and says it's the clutch diagram nit returning to its original position as he can hear it creaking inside the clutch housing. He recommends changing the whole clutch it as well as the flywheel with new bolts as the new bolts have some sort of sealer that seals up the screw thread where the old bolts had been eliminating any leaks. The clutch sticks down maybe a couple of time a day and normally when I haven't changed gear for a few kilometres, then tapping the clutch pedal it pops back up again. I think I will put up with it for as long as possible until I can mortgage the house to pay for the repairs :-(..... Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi Mike. My bother is over on holiday and is a Volvo mechanic in Scotland. He has just had a look at it and says it's the clutch diagram nit returning to its original position as he can hear it creaking inside the clutch housing. He recommends changing the whole clutch kit as well as the flywheel with new bolts as the new bolts have some sort of sealer that seals up the screw thread where the old bolts had been eliminating any leaks. The clutch sticks down maybe a couple of time a day and normally when I haven't changed gear for a few kilometres, then tapping the clutch pedal it pops back up again. I think I will put up with it for as long as possible until I can mortgage the house to pay for the repairs :-(..... Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't mean to discount what your brother is telling you, and he may very well be right. But a lot of times you can hear a clutch creaking/squeaking inside the bell housing just because the grease that had been applied to the input shaft and/or throwout bearing is dried up or gone to dust. This doesn't necessarily mean it's not working.

I would still inspect the cheap hydraulic components first before you decide to replace the clutch and flywheel. If you rebleed the slave cylinder and the problem goes away temporarily and then comes back, that will tell you it is actually a hydraulics issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mike. He is here saying that could be the case as well and by an off chance it could be that, so I will be trying all these things first before going in deeper. Will let you know how I get on. All the very Best.

Although he is my brother, Volvo mechanics can be a bit drastic and replace whatever part with official Volvo parts

Kevin

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue.
Spent over £2500 on the car last week including ,
Clutch kit ( flywheel is solid and the mechanic said it dose not need changing ) , slave and master cylinder and the problem still comes back.
1'st day it's fine , 3'rd day is rough changing gears , 7'th day the clutch goes down first thing in the morning and i have to give it 20 pushes to be able to get it in gear.
If i blead it out it restarts the 7 days cycle.
Going nuts by now...
Hyundai in Corby wants to charge me £120 / hour for diagnostic and they need 8 hours to do that....
Anyone had the issue fixed ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts