Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Sonata GL 5 speed. I had the car in for the rear brakes (which was an expensive fiasco itself) and the dealer said my clutch is on it's last leg. To add insult to injury the estimate is $1500. The car only has 87K (mostly highway) miles on it. My wife and I have not noticed any slippage related to clutches going or trouble getting into gear. There is some stuttering at take off occasionally but nothing glaring. Has anyone else had a short life span for their clutch? What about the cost? $1500 seems like highway robbery. It was just Friday so I have not gotten second opinions.

BTW - I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles in my life on manual trannies and I've replaced only 2 clutches.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
If it's not slipping then I'd tell the dealer to take a hike and ignore his suggestion. It's a dual mass clutch if I'm not mistaken, so it sounds like he wants to replace the flywheel too. A clutch should last the life of the car, of course it's all about YOU!

But again, if it doesn't slip, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Clutch life,, HMMMMMMMM.....

How about 328,000+ on my daily drive Toyota, and hooks up as good as the day it was new. Replace slave cylinder a couple yr ago,,, regular fluid change keeps hydralics clean.

Our spare Toyota Corolla ('93) that sits has 179,000+ on it' clutch... it getting ready for replace, we used it to pull a single trailer jet ski, and wife is a little hard on clutch..

It's all about the driver left foot right foot co-ordination, no high rpm slow engage from stop, no rev between shift and release clutch with flywheel spinning faster than the disc.. Good driver habit keep clutch alive. :thumbsup:

Forgot to note ---> there is a PCM uppgrade for 2.4 M/T, supposed to sych throttle operation better to pedal movement...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I drove to work this morning and didn't feel a thing with the clutch. I'll follow up on the PCM upgrade and sit tight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So a quick follow up on my clutch. I called the service department this afternoon and spoke with the person whom I had spoken to Friday. He states that the clutch pedal is grabbing too low on the release. According to him that's a tell tale sign that the clutch is on its way out. I asked if it were a hydraulic issue and he said no, there are no leaks. I emphasized that there is no slippage and he simply replied "You will soon". I personally think he's full of it. All clutches catch lower in the assembly as they wear. I may have an additional 30K on my clutch even though it's catching low.

The estimate of $1500 is only for the pressure plate and throw out bearing. It's 50/50 on parts and labor. It's sad. This service dept. has been good to me in the past. I try to do as much maintenance myself and they have never pushed back on "a la catre" work I have done there according to the manual. It may be time for me to find a new machanic.

This is my second Hyundai I do enjoy value of the car I driven off the lot. But I feel more and more that Hyundai is designing these cars to make up revenue for the dealer on the maintenance and repair end.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
As long as when you push the pedal down and it go right into gear freely like nobody business sitting still with engine running, and does not slip.... drive it until it starts slipping under hard accell,,,, then you know the clutch is ready to be replaced..

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (Houdsie @ Sep 26 2010, 05:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358976
I have a 2006 Sonata GL 5 speed. I had the car in for the rear brakes (which was an expensive fiasco itself) and the dealer said my clutch is on it's last leg. To add insult to injury the estimate is $1500. The car only has 87K (mostly highway) miles on it. My wife and I have not noticed any slippage related to clutches going or trouble getting into gear. There is some stuttering at take off occasionally but nothing glaring. Has anyone else had a short life span for their clutch? What about the cost? $1500 seems like highway robbery. It was just Friday so I have not gotten second opinions.

BTW - I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles in my life on manual trannies and I've replaced only 2 clutches.

Thanks.
Find another mechanic / dealership. My '07 Sonata 5 speed has over 110k miles with no problems (also mostly highway miles). I ran my '03 Elantra manual almost 189k miles (mostly highway miles) and the clutch was in great shape. Buyer had a very complete inspection before purchasing it - shop said "That's a ****-of-a car there." Still had 30% of the original disk brake pads, too.

I didn't think there is any problem with your clutch.

Regards,
GEWB

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I was going to add this earlier, but was holding back... I looked on our price guide... It listed pressure plate and disc as 1 part number, at $797 retail, 7.7hr labor @ $90/hr,,, but I didnt get chance to look up flywheel, and add approx 3qt of the GL4 oil at $16/qt... there was a $197 part in the guide that made clutch replace work up about $1700+, add tax too.

I'll try to scam around parts dept and find out what the parts is and try to post better numbers if I can.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Sequoiasoon @ Oct 3 2010, 10:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360777
Do you have a TSB# for that? What years does it apply to?

It is a recall, not public to be seen on the FREE HMASERVICE account.. need dealer login.
The number of the bulletin is 09-01-030, CAMPAIGN T94

Here is some text taken from it:

IMPORTANT: DEALERS MUST PERFORM THIS CAMPAIGN ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES PRIOR TO CUSTOMER RETAIL DELIVERY AND WHENEVER AN AFFECTED VEHICLE IS IN THE SHOP FOR ANY MAINTENANCE OR REPAIR.

IMPORTANT: WHEN A VEHICLE ARRIVES AT THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT, ACCESS HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA’S “WARRANTY VEHICLE INFORMATION” SCREEN VIA WEBDCS TO IDENTIFY OPEN CAMPAIGNS.

DESCRIPTION:
This bulletin provides a procedure to update the ECM software for manual transmission equipped vehicles to the most recent version.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES:

Model: 2009-2010 Sonata 2.4L (NFA) vehicles with Manual transmission

Vehicle production date range: From January 15, 2008 through August 5, 2009.

·
Registered
882 Posts
So the TSB does not apply to us "older" types.

@Houdsie:
Take it to a different shop and have the clutch system rebled (or do it yourself). The brakes and clutch share fluid from the same reservoir and strange things can happen. I noticed on mine that all of a sudden (about 2 weeks ago) my clutch was grabbing low but not always the same and there was more initial pedal play and that it didn't seem to return all the way. All signs of air in the system. I did my brakes months ago and did a full system flush at that time with a pressure bleeder including the clutch. Everything felt fine for months The "wierd" clutch feeling came about suddenly. I used the pressure bleeder again 1.5 weeks ago and did get a little air out of the clutch system. While the bleeder was slightly open and under pressure I also pushed the clutch all the way down just in case air was stuck somewhere by a seal. Once complete the clutch was/is back to normal again not much initial play and engages higher up on the release of pedal travel.

It was definitely strange and almost as if something leaked on the slave cylinder or somewhere and just let a small amount of air in. I also randomly get a slight chatter on initial start. How is that 1-2 shift working for you on cold days?

Myself and Gewb also changed our gear lube to try and help that. He used Redline, I used BG Synchroshift. He said his made it much better, mine made it slightly better. I plan to change mine before winter and go with the Redline this time. You only need 2 quarts and this is the one you need Redline MT-85

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (Sequoiasoon @ Oct 19 2010, 02:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364437
So the TSB does not apply to us "older" types.

It was definitely strange and almost as if something leaked on the slave cylinder or somewhere and just let a small amount of air in. I also randomly get a slight chatter on initial start. How is that 1-2 shift working for you on cold days?
The interesting timing of the "recommendation" is I had the car in for 3 items only a week apart. When I initially dropped it off they had to order parts but did change the gear oil as I requested. That first visit there was no mention of needing a new clutch. They recommended it when it was in a week later. I do get chatter from the clutch occasionally when I punch it from a dead stop. I'll look into having the system bled. I changed the front pads and rotors last week and the pedal seems a little soft for having new brakes at all 4 corners.

Thanks.

·
Registered
882 Posts
QUOTE (Houdsie @ Oct 22 2010, 03:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365473
The interesting timing of the "recommendation" is I had the car in for 3 items only a week apart. When I initially dropped it off they had to order parts but did change the gear oil as I requested. That first visit there was no mention of needing a new clutch. They recommended it when it was in a week later. I do get chatter from the clutch occasionally when I punch it from a dead stop. I'll look into having the system bled. I changed the front pads and rotors last week and the pedal seems a little soft for having new brakes at all 4 corners.

Thanks.
Changing pads/rotors should definitely NOT add "softness". My wifes truck they changed pads/cut rotors and the pedal is hard but needs more effort to stop. Whichever brand they installed is different from last time and is MUCH lower dusting (higher ceramic content) but definitely has less friction coeffiecient so you need the extra pedal effort. I'll probably change that some day but she's happy for now.

I would definitely say that if the brakes feel soft that there is air and could transfer to the clutch system based on shared reservoir though it shouldn't.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up my 2007 Sonata for its second clutch replacement in 84000 miles. So far they last approx every 40000 miles and this one cost me $1350, $950 for the part and $400 for the labor. The mechanic who I have used now for various things and highly recommended by several people showed me the extreme wear and said there is no reason for this to happen once, let alone be the 2nd one I have gone through.

My last car was a 94 Geo Prizm with a Manual transmission and was the original when I sold it at at over 100K that went well past 150K before it was in a accident recently to a friend I sold it too or would have gone more. There seems to be an issue that goes beyond driving habits as it only has a 16K warranty and have read on various sites to be a issue that seems to be coincidence.

I honestly can say I probably will not buy another Hyundai regardless of the good reviews and research I did before I bought this one as it seems in my opinion that they are ignoring a major issue with cars with manual transmissions they just don't sell enough of to hit the radar hard enough to be compelled to address the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How long can I expect the clutch on my Hyundai Elantra 2003 to last?
In Phoenix, AZ, who is the most competent mechanic I could go to to replace the clutch at the most economical price to me?
Thanks,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts