Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch is giving me trouble, and I wanted to know if any of you have experienced this.

This may be tough to explain, if you think about where the clutch actually starts to move the car, I'll call that the release point. Meaning the clutch actually connects the engine and transmission.

Normally the clutch releases when the pedal is almost all the way out, it had been that way for my first 6,000 miles. I went on a long business trip and kept the Accent parked in the garage while I was gone. When I came back, the clutch released almost at the floor. I took it out of gear and pumped it several times and it released at its normal spot, almost all the way out. As I backed out it started to release closer and closer to the floor, and got to the point that even with the pedal all the way down, the clutch was dragging and I couldn't get it out of gear until I turned the engine off. Again, after working it, it came back to normal. I figured it just had a hydraulic leak. Took it to the Stealership and they said that it had a vacuum operated clutch and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I showed the tech the problem and they just shrugged and said to work the clutch every once in awhile.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Mine has 10k miles on it, never had that issue before. It doesn't sound very normal to me, if you have to turn the car off and on again to get some clutch fluid moving it isn't good. I don't know if the clutch is vacuum operated, I've honestly never even heard of that. I do know that when it was -35f here the other day it definitely felt like my clutch fluid was frozen because my pedal felt like I was stepping on a gas station slushy! I'd bleed the clutch fluid and check for air bubbles. or take it to a less crappy dealer because it is under warranty.

·
Registered
226 Posts
No that does not sound normal. I have over three times your 6,000 miles and my clutch is not doing that. I'm sorry I really don't have the first clue about what's wrong. There is a combined brake and clutch fluid reservoir on the Accent. The cap for it is against the firewall, just to the right of the engine cover. But obviously, if you've already taken the car to the dealership they would have checked the fluid level. It certainly sounds like there is a loss of seal somewhere in the system, but that's what you already knew. I don't know how to go about finding it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have over 19,000 miles and have never experienced that. The clutch feeling is generally consistent, but as shawnperolis mentioned when it's really cold it can be stiff until you work it a bit.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Vacuum operated, then why does it have a hydraulic line attached full of DOT-3 oil ??

Find it, then go back and tell the fella lookie here, you said it vacuum operated, why is this line full of oil ?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I do know that when it was -35f here the other day it definitely felt like my clutch fluid was frozen because my pedal felt like I was stepping on a gas station slushy!
Yep, been there/done that for 24 winters, nothing like cold-thick DOT-3 trying to flow under pressure when you push clutch pedal.. more fun when oil in shocks too thick to flow and car rides like you sitting on skateboard

or take it to a less crappy dealer because it is under warranty.
Warranty valid at any franchised Hyundai dealer with the blue logo out front.. find another dealer
Love cold liquids

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had that happen on a really cold day - the clutch engagement was very close to the floor when it was -27°C. After the car warmed up a bit - it was fine. The clutch is hydraulic and uses brake fluid like someone said. For sustained really cold weather - I would probably look for synthetic brake fluid or a block heater.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yeah, I definitely didn't think the clutch was vacuum operated. That tech guy was just being lazy. He gets paid hourly, so the less cars he has to work on the better. It sounds to me like you have air bubbles in your line, take it back and have them flush it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wasn't sold on the vacuum operated either. I looked under the hood and noticed that it seems to share the tank with the brake fluid. When I first noticed it, I really just thought there was air in the lines. Not sure what to do. The dealership has been less than helpful since day 1.

The technician drove it and said they couldn't recreate the problem at all. Then I went down and showed them exactly as I had explained. I don't know how I could have made it simpler. Maybe I'll just take it to another dealership.

The problem is not temperature sensitive.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Its more than likely air in the lines. You can do a fluid change. Fairly simple and easy to do on your own but much better with a friend. Like another poster recommended upgrade your fluid that will handle a bigger range of temperatures and will have a longer life span. A change wont cost more than $20 if you do it yourself.

And then if it still occurs after this you can tell the stealership that you have changed the fluid and the issue still happens. Sometimes you have to do the work for them to get them off their a##.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know how to bleed the system, I'm just not fixing a 6 month old car. I found a new dealership, just need to find time to drop it off.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Tell them to use the pressure bleed thing (regulator thing with light blue hose), and pressure bleed the clutch hydraulic line

·
Registered
63 Posts
There's either something wrong with the master or slave cylinder.
^^This.

My money would be on master, but it could easily be either. Have experienced similar in other vehicles.

And, OP, no that is definitely not normal behavior in any car. Go to a different dealer. The one you took it to, well, simply stated, they are morons. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did you get this fixed yet?
This summer i had to R&R a master cylinder and booster from a uhaul. You could hear the vaccuum leak when the pedal was pressed.
An air bubble would be constant sponginess that you could pump up the pressure on. (like you described).
However you also mentioned a fade effect that screams a bad master as well.
So my money is on, a bad master, or vaccuum leak since this isnt a brake system, but a vaccuum operated clutch.
If it were a fluid leak somewhere you should see evidence of that under the car, or on the components.
Either way @ 6K this is a dealerships problem. I hope they gave you a loaner for your troubles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still isn't fixed. I asked the Service Manager to review this page. They never have loaners available, so it always takes 2 to drop it off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nope. Can't get anyone at the dealership to contact me. Emailed the service manager and asked him to read this page. Never emailed me back. Still has the issue. I just haven't made time to drop it off at another dealer. There are non stop recalls on a couple of models. Everywhere I have seen is packed and the loaners are booked for a couple weeks in advance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Go to a different dealership in your area, assuming there is one. Telling the first dealership to read this page isn't going to work. They don't care so they won't read it.

If there is no other dealership in your area and you want this fixed under warranty by a dealer, then you probably need to start calling corporate. But doing what you are doing isn't working, so doing more of the same is only going to yield more of the same results.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts