Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Had my flexible clutch hose burst on Tuesday afternoon and needed to be towed home. It is the flexible rubber line that joins the steel hydraulic line from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder to make up for any movement between the body of the car and the transmission/engine (no. 41640 in attached diagram). Had a clutch, then suddenly had no clutch and the pedal going straight to the floor with no resistance. Was able to diagnose the problem when I got home by first checking the clutch pedal was attached to the master cylinder, and then tracking the hose from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder to find the leaking hose.

Hyundai Australia told me it would be $80 AUD up front and take 3-4 weeks to arrive from South Korea.

I took the hose off the car (it is located under the airfilter box which can be removed with a phillips head screw driver, a 10mm socket and an extension bar for the socket). I got the hose off with locking pliers to pull the clips off and an 11mm wrench (actual size may be imperial) to undo the hydraulic lines.

Thankfully I was able to take the hose to someone to who makes hydraulic hoses (Pirtek) who were able to have a new one made the next day. They quoted about $55 AUD for a replacement. I asked for a braided stainless steel one which cost $90 AUD which would hopefully fail less dramatically (a leak rather than a burst).

I have attached photos of the burst hose (see right hand end) and the new braided stainless line fittted (below the air filter box).

Any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers,

XXXXguy

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes, thanks for the info, and good idea to get a custom braided version. I hadn't thought of getting a custom one built.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
511 Posts
Thing is that particular hose has never had an issue with it bursting and as far as I've read on any of the Hyundai forums they never burst.

But you did real good being proactive with your issue and getting it fixed the way you wanted. 🙏🏽👍

While you were in there you should've done the 'spring valve delete' in the slave cylinder for a better clutch release and feel. Best mod you can do to a manual gear box on any Hyundai. 😎

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Good to hear that I'm the only one who has had that hose burst (makes me feel special). Unfortunately I read about the spring valve delete thing after doing this job, and I'm not going to do it now, although I have been happy enough with the clutch as is. The main reason for getting the custom one built was that I couldn't wait 3-4 weeks for the Hyundai part to arrive, and when you have been stuck on the side of the road an extra $35 AUD for a stainless braided one seemed like good insurance (even though the Hyundai one had lasted close to 10 years - since the car was new). Unfortunately most car companies in Australia appear to consider the life of a vehicle to be about 7 years and once you are outside of this then it can get harder to get parts for your car.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Your story made me go check on the availablilty of this part here in the States. Fortunately we've got several choices there, at least we do for now. Hat tip for the individual resourcefulness shown in the face of the chronic dealership and corporate supplier chain unresponsiveness. Hope it's not being too presumptuous of me to say "Good on ya, Mate!"

·
Registered
381 Posts
I certainly don't know as I haven't investigated and have an automatic, but that line looks suspiciously like a flexible brake line. Wondering if it is same line used at one of brake locations. :unsure:

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
511 Posts
I certainly don't know as I haven't investigated and have an automatic, but that line looks suspiciously like a flexible brake line. Wondering if it is same line used at one of brake locations. :unsure:
It's the correct line. They use the same if not similar retainer clamps and hose connections.
Even my Toyota Paseo had a similar line setup as a brake line for the slave cylinder feed. I replaced the old line when I did the clutch replacement and rebuilt everything on the car.

Subbing a stainless brake line may be the ticket though and a good idea.
You got me thinking now for my build. 🧐🤔😂😉👍

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The line I show in the photo in this post is the hydraulic line to the clutch (definitely - connects from the master to the slave clutch cylinders - thanks for your concern Past racer). Whilst the brake lines are similar they are definitely different part numbers on this car. The things that need to match for different hydraulic lines to be compatible appear to be the end connections, the alignment of the end connections and the length of the hose. If you are going to try and sub a brake line for the clutch line make sure it does match up. The end connections on this line have a flat part on either side which fits into a bracket at either end and the flat parts must be aligned properly when the hose is manufactured (you don't want to twist the lines to make them fit).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts