Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, and I don't know a lot about maintenance of vehicles, but I am a repeat Hyundai buyer, and an experienced manual driver (of 8+ years). I purchased a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Blue and the clutch has started to go out at 15000 miles. Yes, I drive frequently, but rarely in stop-and-go traffic, and I don't abuse the clutch. I've owned manual transmission vehicles before and have not had to replace one yet. Until now. I have not experienced a clutch going out this soon. The dealership looked at my car, said yes, it's the clutch, and that no, it would not be covered under warranty if it's my fault. They provided a number for customer service, where I could ask them to replace it as "a courtesy" but the woman I spoke with said she would call the dealership to see if they deemed it was a manufacturing issue. (The dealership only said "The clutch needs to be replaced, and quoted me $1600.00). At no point did the dealership claim it was anyone's "fault" - they just stated it is not covered under warranty. I'm feeling like I'm getting the run-around by the dealership, telling me to call customer service for "a courtesy" and the customer service person stating they can't perform "a courtesy" unless it is a result of manufacturing. Wouldn't that then be a warranty repair?

Anyway, I guess I'm looking for advice. As a single working mother, my finances are stretched so thin, I can't imagine how I am going to plunk down that amount of money on my "new" car, but I feel like I have limited options. In addition, when the clutch does fail (and I know it will - soon), I have no transportation to work! I'm hesitant to purchase another Hyundai after this, due to the customer service I receive after my name is inked on a contract.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
A reoccuring problem with Hyundais is the failure of the clutch hydraulics. When you press on the pedel, it forces clutch fluid through a little metal tube, much like the brakes work. Very often, the fluid becomes dirty and gunks up the system. It can hang up the clutch, similar to you actually "riding" the clutch and burn up the clutch disk. It happened to me, and I replaced the clutch disk before I figured out the problem. If you catch the problem early enough, you can bleed the system and you won't burn up the disk, and avoid the expensive repair. Your dealer won't tell you all this, as they expect you to pay the big bucks.

In your case, you say you only have 15K. So it's almost unheard of for such a new car since your car didn't have enough time to make the clutch fluid dirty. And if it's true that you are sure you know how to drive with a clutch and didn't burn it up through misuse, then the mystery deepens.

$1500 for the clutch is obscene. If you call around you can get it done for half that. I think the parts is a dealer item only because the car is so new.

If I were you, I'd take it to some small shop and ask them to bleed the the hydraulic system first thing. It should only cost let's say less than $40 as it takes 5 minutes to do. Call around and ask for prices, anyone can do it, it's easy. It could save the clutch and allow you to drive it a long time yet.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
the above post is correct..........and l agree the price you have been quoted is a total rip off!

BTW welcome to the forums :00000732:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really appreciate the information. I was quoted $600 for the kit through the dealership - they said to replace the whole kit. As I said, I'm not mechanically inclined myself (I opted instead for a healthcare career), so I will do some calling around. Thank you again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am having issues with clutch on my 07 Elantra at 47700km's. It started creaking and I was told that my pressure plate and clutch bearings needed to be replaced. Again, I have been driving a manual for 8 years and only had to replace the clutch in my 91 s-coupe because it was old with many km's and obviously bought second hand. Luckily, my repairs are covered under the warranty so I figure it must be an issue with the car and not my driving.

·
Registered
81 Posts
QUOTE (MLG12 @ Jul 14 2010, 01:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341683
I'm new here, and I don't know a lot about maintenance of vehicles, but I am a repeat Hyundai buyer, and an experienced manual driver (of 8+ years). I purchased a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Blue and the clutch has started to go out at 15000 miles. Yes, I drive frequently, but rarely in stop-and-go traffic, and I don't abuse the clutch. I've owned manual transmission vehicles before and have not had to replace one yet. Until now. I have not experienced a clutch going out this soon. The dealership looked at my car, said yes, it's the clutch, and that no, it would not be covered under warranty if it's my fault. They provided a number for customer service, where I could ask them to replace it as "a courtesy" but the woman I spoke with said she would call the dealership to see if they deemed it was a manufacturing issue. (The dealership only said "The clutch needs to be replaced, and quoted me $1600.00). At no point did the dealership claim it was anyone's "fault" - they just stated it is not covered under warranty. I'm feeling like I'm getting the run-around by the dealership, telling me to call customer service for "a courtesy" and the customer service person stating they can't perform "a courtesy" unless it is a result of manufacturing. Wouldn't that then be a warranty repair?

Anyway, I guess I'm looking for advice. As a single working mother, my finances are stretched so thin, I can't imagine how I am going to plunk down that amount of money on my "new" car, but I feel like I have limited options. In addition, when the clutch does fail (and I know it will - soon), I have no transportation to work! I'm hesitant to purchase another Hyundai after this, due to the customer service I receive after my name is inked on a contract.
Unless you are riding the clutch (foot constantly on the clutch when driving) there is no way a clutch can wear out in 15,000 miles. DEMAND to work through this with the service manager. If they are unwilling to help, demand to speak to the factory field representative. This clutch is defective. Also, is there another dealer you can work with as this one just wants your cash.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got just over 9000 miles on my 09 and would swear I can feel the clutch slip a bit in 3rd gear at full throttle getting up to freeway speeds. I've owned 3 manual transmission vehicles in the past so I know what I'm doing and am still in denial that the clutch could actually be going bad already. I'll be watching this thread anxiously!

·
22,788 Posts
Somewhat familiar with clutches, throw-out bearings, bushings, etc., but the mileages you guys and gals are posting between failures, above? Ridiculous. Absurd, would be more appropriate.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
It's possible they "glaze" the clutch.... make it too smooth, burn it a little. I do it all the time pulling my oversized boat with my little rust-bucket. I've found some effort at downshifting will cure the problem.... put some negative wear on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is apparently still an issue. I bought a 2014 left over in July, and just had to have the clutch replaced at 17K miles, but it's been slipping intermittently since at least 10k. The dealer tried to charge me 1800 to replace the clutch, which is only covered until 12k. I've been driving stick for 17 years and the only car I ever had to replace a clutch on was my very first car; a very used 93 Mitsu Mirage. Something is definitely up with their clutches and I'm eagerly awaiting some decent aftermarket offerings.

·
22,788 Posts
Hmm...clutch slipping. Posted by member named "DownshiftArtist." Hmm...

I'm messing with ya. Couldn't help myself. Hope you get this problem corrected, once and for all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts