Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed the clutch engagement point is a little higher in the petal travel than I prefer. Does anyone know how to make the clutch pedal free-play adjustment? I can live with it as is, but fine tuning it would be so much better.

·
22,793 Posts
Not familiar with the configuration on the MD or GD Elantras. You could ask your dealer to adjust the free play for you...and if you're really leading a charmed life, he might do it.

Just curious, are you wanting it to engage more quickly when letting off the floorboard or, have less freeplay when disengaging at the top to start shifting?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi OkieRich,
Looking to move the clutch engagement point a little closer to the floor. Its not to bad as is, and I suspect I'll get use to it, but if I can fine tune it...the car can get use to me! :)

·
Read Only
538 Posts
You must be into body building. The extra distance you desire to push the clutch pedal to engage the clutch will help develop your left leg muscles.

Most of the time I adjusted clutches, the spec called for about an inch of play before the clutch engaged. A friend of mine bolted a block of wood under the clutch pedal of the car he used to (drag) race so he wouldn't have to press the pedal down as far to shift, thus he was able to shave a few mil/secs off his time.

Your way may slightly increase the life of the pressure plate/throw out bearing (do they still use these?), as you're not moving it in and out as much.

·
22,793 Posts
Your way may slightly increase the life of the pressure plate/throw out bearing (do they still use these?), as you're not moving it in and out as much.
Interesting. Never actually thought of that. It does make sense, I suppose.

Last clutch I rebuilt was on a 1980 Civic hatchback. I was told (and read in the manual) that it was easier to pull the engine/transaxle out than attempt to remove the tranny from the bottom. Being an old shadetree mechanic, you think I'm gonna give "the book" any credence? Many hours later, and a trunk full of "expletive deleted's," I had learned my lesson...the HARD way. Remember I said, at the top, the "LAST" clutch rebuild? LOL

·
Registered
660 Posts
Good question. I prefer to have my clutch engage close to the floor too. Back when I was on the track drag racing, I was complaining about my launch times and wished I knew how to get quicker off the line. This older racer said he would watch and listen the next time I ran. When I came back from the run, he said bring you car to the shop tomorrow and next weekend you will notice a difference. Well I noticed a difference as soon as I left his shop. My clutch used to engage high, like our GT's do. He adjusted my pedal where it started to engage as soon as my foot started to lift. From there on, I liked to get all of the bottom play out of the clutch. On my next service call, I will get this done if at all possible.

My pride and joy for many years...

On the TMS track turn 4.jpg red n blue.jpg

burn out.jpg Tweety & Sylvester.jpg

Show ready.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome Ride! As to the clutch adjustment, you experienced faster reaction times at the track, and I experience smoother "normal driving" launches. When the clutch engagement point is a couple inches off the floor your heel is still in contact with the carpet and acts like a pivot point for modulating the engagement. Verses a clutch that engages 5-8 inches off the floor you have no pivot point, just leg muscle memory and feel.

I haven't had a lot of free time this week, but I'll try to find some time to crawl under the dash to see if the clutch petal is cable or hydraulic operated. If its cable should be easy to adjust, if its hydraulic...could be a bit more challenging to adjust.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I popped the hood and didn't see a clutch hydraulic reservoir.
That means the clutch is mechanically operated via either a cable or a rod. So there should be a means to adjust the free play. Unfortunately, I fell off a six foot ladder this afternoon, so it will be a few days before I'm nimble enough to crawl under the dash.

·
Registered
660 Posts
That means the clutch is mechanically operated via either a cable or a rod. So there should be a means to adjust the free play. Unfortunately, I fell off a six foot ladder this afternoon, so it will be a few days before I'm nimble enough to crawl under the dash.
Sorry to hear you fell. Speedy recovery man!

·
Banned
998 Posts
That means the clutch is mechanically operated
So look again... it is HYDRAULIC like most, if not all, of manuals in Hyundai...

Create an account there https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/

PITA to get it done (use IE only... no pop-up blockers...), but pays off when need info.

Honestly, I like pedal to engage near the top. Hence, I do not need to push the pedal all the way down to shift. And it is better for quick shifts.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bump Stop

Hey when I owned a BMW M3 I bought something called a 'bump stop'. This allows you to set the bump stop to where your clutch engages for shifting. If your into really quick shifting this simple device does the trick.

When set properly all you do is depress your clutch pedal and shift, therefore you always no when your at the right spot to shift.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bump Stop

This is a device and I do not know if you can utilize it or not, but when I had my M3 it would allow you to set the exact position of where the clutch would engage/disengage.

It was just something that screwed in behind the clutch in the floor, but you could adjust it to where the clutch actuated.

That way when you hit you knew to switch gears.

HSK

·
Registered
75 Posts
Clutch Bump Stop

Now I do not know if this will work on Hyundai, Elantra, or whatever, but when I owned my BMW I was able to purchase this thing called a, "Bump Stop" that screws in behind the clutch.

The idea is to adjust it to were you clutch disengages so you can then shift to the next gear or down-shift, whatever the case may be. This allows you to shift quickly and accurately. Now this is kind of a racing applications, but it should you definite where you engagement spot is on your clutch and help you shift.

It's been awhile since I've bought from an aftermarket beamer company, but if you do a Internet search you'll find them.

Hope this helps some

1 - 15 of 15 Posts