Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a new user - just joined in the hope that one of you guys can help.

The clutch on my son's 2005 Getz 1.1 CDX is slipping very badly. Can just about drive the car.

Is there any adjustment on the clutch on this car?

If I the clutch needs changing is it something I can do myself or is this one for the workshop?

Early indications are that it's going to cost just over £400 to have the job done by a local garage - ouch!

Thanks

Justin's Dad

·
Registered
57 Posts
Im no expert in the Getz, but if it is slipping it means 1 of 2, or both.... things:

1. Pressure plates are not engaging as supposed to (half way engaged) or
2. It's worn out.

If the car has a clutch cable (i doubt it), there should be a sort of screw to adjust it.

Look nearby your transmission, and have someone pump the clutch, you will see the lever moving back and forth.

It can be as easy as to be adjusted, replace main or aux pump (if hydraulic, most likely) or top off fluids... or as bad as clutch needs to be replaced... and consider this if the car's driver "rides" on top of the clutch...... or "holds" the car in gear when in red lights or hills......

Now, can you be more specific about what is going on? Are the gears kicking the transmission when you shift or go into 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear? like if the clutch wasnt pressed enough or, when you release the clutch after you go into gear.... does it slip like if the clutch was halfway depressed?

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The clutch operation is hydraulic - I am just off to check the levels.

I have a suspicion that the clutch is going to be worn - due to "The Boy Racer" "riding the pedal" and holding the car at the lights!

You can drive the car as long as you're very gentle with it - but anything over 40 mph and the engine just starts to race.

Since placing my posting this morning I have spoken with a couple of local garages, and the price is coming down. Best price so far for an after-market clutch is £250 - Still money I could do without spending!

Regards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts