Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that the only major fault so far seems to be the "Judders". (Who could not?)

It is interesting that some have had gearbox problems as this seems an increasing problem with modern small cars.

Allegedly it is down to manufacturers using smaller bearings and lighter oil in an attempt to lessen drag for greater fuel economy.

This is naturally not just for your benefit, a maker is rated on the "green" qualities of their entire range so the better they can "in theory" make their small cars the better it is for them.

The Honda Jazz has pages of complaints on gearbox failures, mainly the input bearing. (So much for Honda legendary reliability.)

Anyway, with regards to the clutch, would it be useful to start a pole to determine if the judders applies up to a particular VIN. So we can hopefully establish when it changed?

Vince

·
Registered
98 Posts
QUOTE (vincentr @ Jun 1 2010, 08:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328509
I have noticed that the only major fault so far seems to be the "Judders". (Who could not?)

It is interesting that some have had gearbox problems as this seems an increasing problem with modern small cars.

Allegedly it is down to manufacturers using smaller bearings and lighter oil in an attempt to lessen drag for greater fuel economy.

This is naturally not just for your benefit, a maker is rated on the "green" qualities of their entire range so the better they can "in theory" make their small cars the better it is for them.

The Honda Jazz has pages of complaints on gearbox failures, mainly the input bearing. (So much for Honda legendary reliability.)

Anyway, with regards to the clutch, would it be useful to start a pole to determine if the judders applies up to a particular VIN. So we can hopefully establish when it changed?

Vince
Good Idea Vince!

I collected my i10 classic on the 21st Jan 2010.
So far I have covered 1200 miles with no clutch judder.

Vin No............... MALAM51CLAM490149

Gary.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Certainly reports of clutch judder do appear to be widespread, but I DO wonder just how prevelant this fault actually is. My Comfort is now 6 months old and have clocked up nearly 7k miles. I have never (thankfully) experienced this fault. Why not? Why should I get away with it when others have this fault?

I wonder what percentage of i10's sold to date have this problem. As I said before, why some and not others? If the fault was down to some kind of engineering design defect, then ALL i10's ought to be affected. They are not. Perhaps it might be down to a particular individual in the Chennai factory, not quite understanding it gets bolted here and not there. Is this problem evident on models yet to be collected by there new owners?

For the record, my i10 has a build date of 3rd October 2009 and the VIN is MALAN51CLAM449275.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree. Only some. It could be that the factory has a number of suppliers and it only effects one.

My I10 reg 12.03.2010 VIN is MALAN51CLAM540321

Just over 1000 miles and just an occasional hint of judder. Maybe I'm expecting it?

·
Registered
544 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Ed @ Jun 2 2010, 03:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328790
Certainly reports of clutch judder do appear to be widespread, but I DO wonder just how prevelant this fault actually is. My Comfort is now 6 months old and have clocked up nearly 7k miles. I have never (thankfully) experienced this fault. Why not? Why should I get away with it when others have this fault?

I wonder what percentage of i10's sold to date have this problem. As I said before, why some and not others? If the fault was down to some kind of engineering design defect, then ALL i10's ought to be affected. They are not. Perhaps it might be down to a particular individual in the Chennai factory, not quite understanding it gets bolted here and not there. Is this problem evident on models yet to be collected by there new owners?

For the record, my i10 has a build date of 3rd October 2009 and the VIN is MALAN51CLAM449275.

There was no trace of it on mine for six or seven months.....until I left it in my garage for over a week and then, when I got in it........buckin' bronco time. Quite amazing really. MALAN51CLAM412627

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oldstan.
I find it highly unlikely that the clutch would physically change just by being left idle for a while.

However it does sound very similar to a problem I had with a Maestro years ago. A tiny leak on the gearbox input shaft oil seal.

Leave the car for a weekend and oil would leak down the shaft and contaminate the clutch plate. Result - vicious clutch judder for the first few miles.

·
Registered
158 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Ed @ Jun 2 2010, 03:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328790
. As I said before, why some and not others? If the fault was down to some kind of engineering design defect, then ALL i10's ought to be affected. They are not.

This is my thinking as well.

I only know of a few cars that have the ( only way I can describe it ) enhanced noise when in 5th gear between 40 and 55. Regardless of how many cars suffer from ANY issue, its how the dealer ( & Hyundai ) tackle the issue. Which is not very positive overall.

·
Registered
544 Posts
QUOTE (vincentr @ Jun 2 2010, 07:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328883
oldstan.
I find it highly unlikely that the clutch would physically change just by being left idle for a while.

However it does sound very similar to a problem I had with a Maestro years ago. A tiny leak on the gearbox input shaft oil seal.

Leave the car for a weekend and oil would leak down the shaft and contaminate the clutch plate. Result - vicious clutch judder for the first few miles.

Indeed, it's seems inconceivable that a 'physical change' could occur purely by virtue of a prolonged absence of use. And I note your observation re. Maestro (several of which I owned and were stout workhorses - and which didn't suffer from clutch judder)...however my understanding (which is distinctly limited, I'll concede) is that Hyundai are changing the clutch and not attending to an oil leak. I can only pass on the comments of the service manager insofar as he has changed the clutch and the new one didn't look any different from the old one.....but that's hardly a definitive statement of the extent of Hyundais's fix for what is a very tangible problem, which in my case, manifested itself after 6 months and 1600 miles of judder free use.

If they are attending to an oil leak at the same time and not telling anyone, then......well I don't know what to say. If they're changing clutches and an oil leak remains, then logic dictates that it's gonna happen again!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In Summary

Some cars have the fault, others are fine. Mine for instance will easily pull away in reverse or 1st at tickover no problem. (At the moment!)

I seems to happen mostly after the car has been idle for a time.

A complete new clutch cures it for a while but not necessarily permanent.

The chap who had the complete clutch and gearbox replaced reports its now fixed.

"Burning" of the clutch (a bit drastic!) seems to effect a temporary repair.

I still suspect it is a contamination problem. Either from the gearbox / engine or maybe even the clutch itself.

It sits idle for a while, cold shrinks oil seals maybe, drop of oil on the plate??

Perhaps, in certain circumstances, the clutch assembly is not cleaned properly before being fitted in the first place.

Why Hyundai cannot fix / refuse to acknowledge is a mystery.

oldstan - I have to agree about the Maestro, an excellent overall workhorse. Which rode and handled better than the Rover 416 I replaced it with. Only problem was the bl**dy CLUTCH and that was a VW bit.

However I cannot agree about the Honda Jazz, mine (bought new) has been a disappointment from day 1. Dreadful ride, peculiar steering (sticky, needed constant attention and correction just to stay in the same lane), so gutless even my wife complained about it.

There is a Jazz Forum (naturally) that shows I am certainly not alone in these complaints. Gearbox failure / wheel bearing failure / EFG valve / steering rack replacements (which my dealer constantly denied) etc etc.

However I do have to say in fairness that their Customer Service is good. Most recent failure was the SRS module (airbag computer). It took 6 trips to the dealer/ 2 full diagnostics and some heated discussion but it was eventually replaced FOC. (Normally £530 +)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Nothing further I can add about the clutch.

Vincentr, Won't pursue the Jazz topic - will veering off the subject if we do....except to say I've been happy with it and if the occasion arose that I wasn't, I'd out it..... I might have said before, there's no shortage of car manufacturers or car dealers and I'll vote with my feet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts