Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have been having clunking noise on my 2015 sonata 2.0t limited (about 55000 miles).. The sound was a lot worse when it was winter and it sounds like the suspension part is failing bad (now its significantly smaller but clunking happens intermittently).

It happens when I go over bump very slowly and more if i was making a turn (parking lots).
Similar noise happens when I wobble my steering wheel at a stand still position. At first, I thought it was the steering coupling but my car is equipped with r-mdps.. so it looks like my car doesn't have that. I've read some of the other people's posts who had this issue of clunking sound but looks like no one came up with solutions..

Went to dealership to mention this numerous times but they all said the all the ball joints, sway bar bushings are good and they couldn't replicate the sound and its normal (I don't think they put enough effort to look at them).

Here is my guess on what might be the issue
1) Steering rack issue (saw that BMWs have this issue and sounded similar)
0:13

2) Strut mount
0:38

Car still does have warranty until august of this year so fixing this would be really great (dealership says they cant replicate the sound and wouldnt go teat drive with me due to covid)

Would anyone have found solution to these issues or experienced them??

·
Registered
62 Posts
I remember when i was experiencing clunk I went crazy and started throwing parts. Last thing I didn't notice it was bad until I removed it was the End links. Check your motor mounts as well

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember when i was experiencing clunk I went crazy and started throwing parts. Last thing I didn't notice it was bad until I removed it was the End links. Check your motor mounts as well
Thank you for the note. For your sonata, when the end links were bad, did you experience have the same noise and issues(steering wheel) like in the videos?. I did mention to the dealer when I was in for service to check if the sway bar links and they said it was totally fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thank you for the note. For your sonata, when the end links were bad, did you experience have the same noise and issues(steering wheel) like in the videos?. I did mention to the dealer when I was in for service to check if the sway bar links and they said it was totally fine.
My sway bar links looked ok and didn't see any play but when i removed it it had more play then usual. and for the steering yes i couldn't find the problem i replaced the struts, strut mount, control arms, transmission mount and the engine mount on top and the lower roll mount. noise went away but after a few thousand miles i noticed the noise again and when i was poking around under the vehicle i noticed the lower engine mount bolts came loose. Put some thread locker on them and torqued down to spec and noise is gone.

·
Registered
2015 Sonata 2.0T Sport Limited
105 Posts
In the 11-14 sonata's the rubber steering coupler would get chewed up and start making the same clunking noise as in your first video you linked. I replaced mine on my 2011 Sonata.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts